Sta-bill longevity

Tamale

Reaction score
What do you think the longevity is of 5 gallons in the tank treated? Near as I can figure out Stabil doesn't put a number on it.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
VP fuel is 2 years, probably a better choice, you can buy it by the gallon at most NAPA stores, small engine places like lawn mower dealers, etc

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Stabil is typ good for 1 year..... provided you initially added the correct amount to the gas. And the gas was no more than 1 month old.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Dont use StaBil anymore. Gas is fine for 1 year-ish, and Ok for 2 years. If I have anything that sits more than that, I drain and refill or use up and refill with fresh gas. Keep tank near full to prevent rust in tank. Sadly, I have bikes that may sit that long.
Lawn mowers will burn even older gas. lol

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Never been a Sta-Bil believer. I park stuff for winter. Come spring, fill up with higher octane to mix with what may have been lost (octane-wise) over winter and just burn it up. Has worked very well for 25+ years for me. 60+ years for my Dad.

Now if I could buy 10 gallons of gas with ethanol in it and drop a few once of something to cause the fuel and ethanol to separate that would be nice. Then have an easy way to draw off the ethanol.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
I don't use ethanol fuels. I fill my tank in the fall, then drive the car as I would normally when spring comes. No additives. I left it for two years once and just pumped the tank out with the oem pump and dumped the rotten gas in my wife's car.

Let it rip.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It's kinda difficult to find ethanol free fuel in my area. Some places have it. Some don't. Some is 89. Some is 91. Pricing is all over the board, but always significantly more than the blended equal. A little more I get, but 70-80 cents a gallon is a lot IMO.

nawagner

forum member
Reaction score
I use Seafoam. Also agree sitting over the winter with nothing will not be an issue.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
It's pretty much impossible to find ethanol free fuel in my area. Even 93 octane has 10% ethanol, so I use up to 4 ounces of Sta-Bill 360 which treats up to 14 gallons of fuel. I use it only as a treatment for protection from the 10% ethanol. The Sta-Bill 360 is also alcohol free, so no worries there as well.

KRS

Reaction score
What do you think the longevity is of 5 gallons in the tank treated? Near as I can figure out Stabil doesn't put a number on it.

I’ve always had good results with Stabil. Original red Stabil is up to 24 months and Stabil 360 is 12 months (it’s on their website). I also avoid fuel with ethanol in anything that I store for any period of time.

https://www.goldeagle.com/brands/sta-bil/

SpecOps13

3rd Childhood Thing
Reaction score
I quit running Ethanol as soon as I realized what it was doing to all of my cars, motorcycles, boat and lawn equipment. Everything was running like Crap. Confirmed by my Brother in Law (Custom Car Builder). He made a fortune rebuilding Carburetors and Fuel Systems for Classic Cars, Boats and Motorcycles...
I have been a Stabil Red Fan for Decades, for gas that's going to be setting for extended periods of time..
Besides it takes less Non-Ethanol to do the same work, 10 to 20%. Engines that were designed to use Ethanol may run fine but it's still using more to do the same job...

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
With 10% ethanol, the AF ratio has to run richer by .3 to .5 with blower on.
We used to be able to buy chevron in non ethanol in 87-89-91-94. As of summer 2017, non ethanol is only available in chevron 94... which is what I have used since 2011... in stang + lawnmower. I use 87 with its 10% ethanol... in my 2011 Fusion.

I see home depot sells conditioner, similar to sta-bil, that also cancels out the ethanol....used for lawn mowers, etc.... for folks that only have 10-15 % ethanol gas available.

Take a whiff of 0 / 10% ethanol lawnmower gasoline in the springtime... that was bought the previous aug/sept/oct...it has this god awful rancid smell to it.... dump it asap. So I either add stabil to last batch of lawnmower gas, when purchased, or pour it into stang.

I know a couple of guys who run yard maintenance business's.... both said ethanol fucks up everything they own. One switched to chevron 94.... the other used the home depot stuff.... comes out a wash either way. Problems solved.

Bad gas will fuck up injectors, carbs etc. Been there, done that...esp with 10% ethanol fuel. And there is no way to turn bad gas into good gas. The stabil should go in when gas bought new, maybe 1 month tops.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
It seems that every single gas station in my area all have 10% ethanol in all their fuel grades. Therefore I have no idea where to even find non-ethanol fuel, so I'm at a bit of a loss when some of you post that you run non-ethanol fuel lol.

Last edited:

AndrewNagle

forum member
Reaction score
With 10% ethanol, the AF ratio has to run richer by .3 to .5 with blower on.
We used to be able to buy chevron in non ethanol in 87-89-91-94. As of summer 2017, non ethanol is only available in chevron 94... which is what I have used since 2011... in stang + lawnmower. I use 87 with its 10% ethanol... in my 2011 Fusion.

I see home depot sells conditioner, similar to sta-bil, that also cancels out the ethanol....used for lawn mowers, etc.... for folks that only have 10-15 % ethanol gas available.

Take a whiff of 0 / 10% ethanol lawnmower gasoline in the springtime... that was bought the previous aug/sept/oct...it has this god awful rancid smell to it.... dump it asap. So I either add stabil to last batch of lawnmower gas, when purchased, or pour it into stang.

I know a couple of guys who run yard maintenance business's.... both said ethanol fucks up everything they own. One switched to chevron 94.... the other used the home depot stuff.... comes out a wash either way. Problems solved.

Bad gas will fuck up injectors, carbs etc. Been there, done that...esp with 10% ethanol fuel. And there is no way to turn bad gas into good gas. The stabil should go in when gas bought new, maybe 1 month tops.

Switched all my 2 stroke stuff to non-ethanol gas and could not be happier.

They all start right up even after sitting for long periods of time, run great and no more screwed up carbs as you said.

LikeabossTM

forum member
Reaction score
It seems that every single gas station in my area all have 10% ethanol in all their fuel grades. Therefore I have no idea where to even find non-ethanol fuel, so I'm at a bit of a loss when some of you post that you run non-ethanol fuel lol.
Shell's premium (91 octane I believe) here in Ontario is readily available and ethanol free, fortunately.

Tamale

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Still fires up fine so going to burn it off. Was just getting nervous. Thx KRS for your lead.

1950StangJump$

forum member
Reaction score
The only non-ethanol here in Northern VA that I can find is Liberty.

Thing about that, Liberty is not "Top Tier" gas. While such titles are often bureaucratic semantics, it does theoretically mean it doesn't have the same cleaning properties as Top Tier brands.

So, that leaves me faced with a decision on what's better: Top Tier with ethanol or non-top without it.

To date, I use the Liberty non-ethanol in my 1986 Pontiac, as that car was never designed for ethanol. For the Blown Mustang, I go with Top Tier and ethanol, thinking the car was designed with 10% ethanol in mind. Open to arguments that I should change.

PS. I use Stabil in both when I shut them down for the winter.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

https://www.pure-gas.org/

They have an app as well if you need to find it "on the go" when not near home.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Shell's premium (91 octane I believe) here in Ontario is readily available and ethanol free, fortunately.

Unfortunately, I'm in the Pittsburgh, PA region, but thanks anyhow lol.

https://www.pure-gas.org/

They have an app as well if you need to find it "on the go" when not near home.

I just checked the app link you provided and unfortunately the closest service station that offers non-ethanol 91 octane fuel is located approx 93.4 miles from the Pittsburgh, PA area in Meadville, PA. :shrug:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back