Stall and cam combo?

kennyxg

Reaction score
I'm thinking of installing frpp cams in my 07, i am also going to install a stall converter. I haven't heard much on this combo can somebody tell me if what kind of performance gains as well as power to expect. I would think a 2800 to 3k stall would do fine. Just wondering if the cams would hurt my low end and if they are even worth the trouble.

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
Gears then stall converter. You might not want or need the cams after that but the gears and converter will give you considerably more improvement over cams.

kennyxg

Reaction score
Ok what about any of the new intakes ? will they benefit me with no after market heads? oh and thank you for the advise.. i'm used to my old fox body push rod motor lol!

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
They will if/when you step up to camshafts. You need to maximize your combination first. Gears, converter, long tubes.....all that first. Next would be cams then intake.

2k05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
They will if/when you step up to camshafts. You need to maximize your combination first. Gears, converter, long tubes.....all that first. Next would be cams then intake.
What He Said ^^^^^

aleborjas

forum member
Reaction score
and hot rods has too much overlap for a auto car try to look for a cam with low end torque... and if you are going to put stall at least put 3000 rpm's

yellowjohn1

forum member
Reaction score
and hot rods has too much overlap for a auto car try to look for a cam with low end torque... and if you are going to put stall at least put 3000 rpm's

I don't have an auto so pardon my ignorance but is this an accurate statent in regards to "too much overlap" being an issue for autos? I would think it really shouldn't be any more of an issue with an auto if your doing stall and gears anyway. A lot of street/strip cars have cams with more overlap than hotrods, which are pretty mild, and they are auto.

kennyxg

Reaction score
I don't have an auto so pardon my ignorance but is this an accurate statent in regards to "too much overlap" being an issue for autos? I would think it really shouldn't be any more of an issue with an auto if your doing stall and gears anyway. A lot of street/strip cars have cams with more overlap than hotrods, which are pretty mild, and they are auto.
That's the whole problem i dont know anyone with a stalled and cammed auto.I didn't know if the stall would enable me to benifit from the cams or not.I tried to find one on youtube but couln't find an auto with this combo.

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
I do hate to delve into this because I'm sure the Hot Rod Cam Heros will all flock in here to tell me how wrong I am (and we all know how happy that makes me) but I'll try to explain.

The HR cams have a lot of overlap built into them in order to provide that lope that some people must have in order to be happy about their car. It is this overlap (and the duration numbers that cause the overlap) that tend to diminish low speed and off-idle torque production. Will the converter help cure that problem? Not entirely. What it will do is allow the engine to get into the higher rpm ranges where the torque loss is not as bad and is starting to recover. A higher numerical rear gear will also help this process by accelerating the car more quickly.

However, all of this can be cured by using a set of camshafts that have a lower duration number and, therefore, more cylinder pressure in the lower rpm ranges. This will promote better cylinder filling and better torque production in streetable rpm ranges giving you a more responsive car in all aspects of street/strip driving.

And no....I won't give out camshaft numbers of what you need in order to promote low speed torque production and throttle response. I'm done having people copy my stuff and have someone else build it. If you want them....PM me and send money. Simple. Unlike other companies I will include the specs on the cams. Then if you give those specs out to the general public I'll come take the cams out, beat you half to death with one and use the other for your colonoscopy.

Last edited:

Casey4s

forum member
Reaction score
I'll let you know in a week or so how an atuo does. I just installed a Precision Industries 3000 stall Torque Converter, and this week I am having a set of Hot Rod cams installed and a new tune. I will take it to the track June 26 and see how it goes. I would think that a higher stall converter will help with the cams at idle but I guess I'll find out soon.

kennyxg

Reaction score
I'll let you know in a week or so how an atuo does. I just installed a Precision Industries 3000 stall Torque Converter, and this week I am having a set of Hot Rod cams installed and a new tune. I will take it to the track June 26 and see how it goes. I would think that a higher stall converter will help with the cams at idle but I guess I'll find out soon.
Ok thanks am very curious to see what your car runs.Btw are you going to get some base runs with the new converter? how does the car feel on the street?

Casey4s

forum member
Reaction score
Ok thanks am very curious to see what your car runs.Btw are you going to get some base runs with the new converter? how does the car feel on the street?

Before the converter my PB is 13.181 @ 104.26, but my 60' time is crappy and average around 2.00 sec.

I also just installed a set of UPR LCA relocation brackets to stop the "squat" at the line. I am going to weld them in tomorrow because they are just bolted at the moment.

The car feels good on the street you barely notice the converter in traffic which is what had me concerned about a hi stall converter. Much more than 3K I think would be a lot more noticeable in traffic.

EDIT: The other thing I am curious about is gas milage with the new converter. The last time I had a Hi Stall converter in a car was in 1971 in a Road Runner so this should be interesting.

Last edited:

Casey4s

forum member
Reaction score
Casey 4 do you have an after market trans oil cooler on your car?

I have the Steeda cooler but have not had time to install it. I need to fabricate some brackets etc. so it is on hold for now. Most of the TC makers say it's not necessary wih a 3K TC.

But as far as I am concerned they make these for a reason and I am going with it anyway, and I am getting a trans temp gauge too.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back