Starter wire question....

slackinoff

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
There is another wire that comes out of the loom that contains the positive cable for the starter.....I thought this was the trigger wire to the starter, but it doesn't reach the starter! the positive cable does though. Where does this shorter wire go? Is the trigger wire going to come from a different part of the engine harness?

Thank you, finishing the last touches of replacing the engine in my 08 Bullitt. It's been down for 3 years now. Can't wait to get it back running. :D

07 Boss

Reaction score
What does it look like, pictures? What kind of connector does it have on it? What color is the wire? I would just go look at my loom but I cut it all up and moved some stuff around.

rocky61201

forum member
Reaction score
I'm not underneath my car right now but if my memory is correct the next closest wire to the starter trigger wire goes to the oil level sensor on the side of the oil pan. I'm not 100% this sensor gives a reading for oil level but what other purpose could it be on the side of the oil pan?

And like you said above, that wire would be just short of being able to reach the starter. There isn't anything else I can think of in that area of the engine to hook it up to. My Mustang is a 2006, I'm not sure if there is a difference there on the 2008.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Going from memory here, the starter trigger wire is green or yellow and is pretty thick. (10 or 12 guage). It has a plug near the PDC and connects to a single wire of the same color. This connector is between the PDC and right shock tower. Its is round and only connects the one wire.

slackinoff

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ok so I am taking about the ground wire that comes out of the same loom the positive cable to the starter. I found the trigger wire.....where does the ground wire go???

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

slackinoff

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Going from memory here, the starter trigger wire is green or yellow and is pretty thick. (10 or 12 guage). It has a plug near the PDC and connects to a single wire of the same color. This connector is between the PDC and right shock tower. Its is round and only connects the one wire.
It's black and it has a terminal crimped on to it. It's a little less thick than the starter positive cable. I found the trigger wire. Car starts up, but runs rough. I ended up hooking this one up the the ac compressor bolt since that's about the only place it could reach and the hole size fits....but I am just wanting it to be correct. The car runs rough. Trying to figure out if it's from the cable or bad coil drivers in the ECU.....

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
If it is the black chassis ground wire, then it bolts to the right shock tower.

slackinoff

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If it is the black chassis ground wire, then it bolts to the right shock tower.

Yes, that one is attached. The one I am talking about is 4in long after it exits the loom that also contains the positive cable for the starter, under the car. It is not the starter trigger, the starter trigger comes from a different loom.

slackinoff

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Post a pic of that wire.

Ok thanks! I will snap a pic at lunch. Since it looked like a ground wire, and there is very limited room where it could possibly go, I bolted it to the AC compressor mounting nut.

If you have seen my other thread, the car starts up just fine, but settles into a rough lopey idle, very rich smelling...... Not sure if these two things are connected. Car is on jack stands, I just swapped the motor in. It was a pulled engine from LQK.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Cant say much on the running issue, it could be anything from bad gas to engine mechanical, or anything in between.
I would scan for codes/pending codes to start. If no codes present, pull sparkplugs and see if any are "not like the others" to try and narrow down which cylinders are acting up.

slackinoff

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
This is the other cable coming out of the loom that has the positive starter cable. I thought it was a ground so I hooked it up to the bolt that fastens the ac compressor
83560644b5661db4b94b53efffafaf10.jpg
9f55b425414f1a0e26319505e196b5ce.jpg

sportinawoody

!@#$%^&*(
Reaction score
one of your motor mount plate bolts on passenger side is a stud. there should be a 15mm headed nut, it goes there but as long as its grounded to the engine solidly, it doesnt matter "where".

Jack Wallace

Reaction score
Ok so I am taking about the ground wire that comes out of the same loom the positive cable to the starter. I found the trigger wire.....where does the ground wire go???

Hey man I'm doing the same project right now and I have a similar issue to you. I have all of the positive side stuff hooked up correctly for the starter, and I have the ground that goes on the strut tower in the right place, as well as the one that is in the loom with the positive wire for the starter (the one that you bolted to the AC compressor, it is technically supposed to bolt to the motor mount, but doesn't matter). I am wondering where the TRIGGER wire for the starter goes? Where does it connect on the starter, and where does it lead to on the other end? Pictures would be much appreciated. Thanks!

moooosestang

Reaction score
i would attach it to the motor mount stud where it's supposed to go, it's the lower right bolt if you are looking at it from the passenger side. That AC compressor bolt might not be the best ground. that motor mount stud does deep into the block.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back