Stepper Motor Replacement

Mustang30212

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Old thread...back to life.

Why did you power down the SRS? Couldn't you just disconnect the battery?

RH

Mustang30212

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Don't the airbags hold a charge even when the battery is disconnected?

Perhaps...but what does that have to do with pulling the cluster out of the car?

You don't have to pull the airbag to get the cluster out. I was wondering because I have a cluster that needs stepper motors and I'm going to give it a try and possibly start offering the service to the forum members.

RH

Boozshey

Reaction score
I've disconnected and connected airbags with the battery plugged in, I've dropped airbags after removal, sure maybe it's not the best practice, but they won't deploy. That's by like hitting a bump and the airbag deploying...

Mustang30212

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I've disconnected and connected airbags with the battery plugged in, I've dropped airbags after removal, sure maybe it's not the best practice, but they won't deploy. That's by like hitting a bump and the airbag deploying...

That's kinda what I was thinking. I've had my cluster out NUMEROUS times and never disconnected the battery. I just made sure I had the key off. Probably would be safer disconnecting the battery....but I'd like to know why the fuse needed pulling.

RH

ixtlan

Reaction score
Pull the airbag?
Pull the fuse for the airbag.
It is simply a safety precaution and required to pull the cluster as per Ford manuals.
Is it actually needed?
I doubt it but still wouldn't want to chance it going off in my face. Its just a fuse pull.

Mustang30212

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Pull the airbag?
Pull the fuse for the airbag.
It is simply a safety precaution and required to pull the cluster as per Ford manuals.
Is it actually needed?
I doubt it but still wouldn't want to chance it going off in my face. Its just a fuse pull.

Gotcha.

I'm not trying to be a smart ass....but what's that got to do with pulling the cluster? I just want to be sure I wasn't missing this as part of the actual stepper motor replacement.

You ride face to face with the airbag every time you're in the car....don't see any reason why it would go off just because you pull the cluster.

BUT with my luck I'd be the first! lol

RH

Stolen 98

forum member
Reaction score
Just an FYI---There is a service on Ebay based in TN that will replace all the stepper motors and return your cluster for like $60.

I just used them to do my V6 cluster and it turned out perfect.

Mustang30212

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Just an FYI---There is a service on Ebay based in TN that will replace all the stepper motors and return your cluster for like $60.

I just used them to do my V6 cluster and it turned out perfect.

That's what we want to do....support our eBay vendors...LOL.

RH

Stolen 98

forum member
Reaction score
Just throwing it out there, some of us don't have time or patience to dissect a gauge cluster. No need to be a DOUCHE Bag about it.

Mustang30212

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Just throwing it out there, some of us don't have time or patience to dissect a gauge cluster. No need to be a DOUCHE Bag about it.

Wasn't trying to be a douche...nor did I deserve to be called one. But if you're stupid enough to not know after all these years that there are MANY guys on eBay doing this...then I guess the douche is up in you.

And in case you didn't notice, my comment was followed with "LOL" with means Lough Out Loud...in case you're to stupid to know that as well. I was joking around. No need to get all butt hurt over it.

RH

Stolen 98

forum member
Reaction score
No where in this thread does it mention a service on ebay charging a nominal fee for this repair...I was trying to do someone a solid by pointing it out.

Go back to being an internet tough guy you douche bag. There I actually called you a douche bag that time. :beerdrink:

Stolen 98

forum member
Reaction score
BTW it says your an "Official Site Vendor" what exactly is it that you sell so I can make sure not buy any?

Mustang30212

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Not being a tough guy either. You get off on name calling huh?

In case you didn't read the title of the forum....it says DIY which is Do It Yourself. If DIY in your book means paying someone else to do the work...then good for you.

I posted in this thread because I wanted advice on how to DO IT MYSELF. I did not (nor did anyone else) ask where to send it off to have it done for them.

Have fun!! lol

RH

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
chris_hansen.gif

icon10.gif

ixtlan

Reaction score
Easy guys.
Don't muck the thread up please.
Have someone do it for a fee.
But if you want to DIY then here is how.
I love to tinker and fix my own stuff.
Keeps me from getting bored...

Stolen 98

forum member
Reaction score
Easy guys.
Don't muck the thread up please.
Have someone do it for a fee.
But if you want to DIY then here is how.
I love to tinker and fix my own stuff.
Keeps me from getting bored...

Sorry man. I did read this thread when mine went out. But previously I watched a friend destroy his factory Silverado SS cluster removing needles and chickened out.

Great write up though.

Charlie Sheen

Armed and Hammered
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
...I have a cluster that needs stepper motors and I'm going to give it a try and possibly start offering the service to the forum members.

Put me down on that list. My soldering skills are moderate at best so I need someone to HMDI or DIFM, KWIM?

Another great write-up Itxlan :beer:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back