Studder/ hesitation accelerating when cold

deezdrama

forum member
Reaction score
Ok, alot of you guys told me not to go with tunes from this company but I did for tunes for life (I know I know) I planned to get a custom tune after completing list of mods I want.

Anyway, after the JLT series 3 cai and 93oct tune ive noticed when the engine is still cold I sometimes get hesitation,sputtering,surging (not sure what to call it) when taking off from a start with a decent amount of throttle. This morning I was running late to work so tried to beat some traffic and dart out onto busy street and my damn car just hesitated about 5 times before finally accelerating. Its like it started to rev then fell on its face then started to rev etc 4 or 5 times within a second before taking off. Was pretty shitty as I had a line of cars coming and I barely made it into the lane with time to take off.
This happened a couple other times but less severe. All when turning and taking off from stop while engine was still cold. The other times it just bogged down for a fraction of a second then took off. This last time I looked like i was on a bucking bronco. I had a similar issue in my 2010 crown vic which ended up being a stuck ball in valve body but it was stalling and felt mechanical, this felt different like wrong fuel mixture or something.
Ive noticed it smells rich in the mornings when I start it. Been going through gas like crazy but that was expected.
Other than that the car drives great and feels like a different animal with the tune.

Im debating whether to go back to stock for a while untill I have time to get my exhaust installed and go with different tuner.

Probably get hit with a bunch of "I told you so's" now lol
What do you guys think?

Last edited:

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
Call AM and get a tune revision, tell them the problem didn't exist prior to the tune + upgrades. They will make it right.

1950StangJump$

forum member
Reaction score
They might ask you to datalog it, but definitely start with the tuner. To some extent, when the performance is "maximized" through tune, you can expect it to not be at its best when cold; almost creates a need to allow the car to warm up just a little in the mornings.

That said, it shouldn't jeopardize your safety in traffic either. Get the tune revised.

CammedS197

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah what they have said above. But also has the fuel filter been changed? Also Clean the MAF. Do a datalog anyways and send to Steeda. Also nice to have for yourself so you can see what is happening. Not sure if the "famous" fuel pump issue still sits in the 2010 3v. Jeremy would know. But that issue is really only after cruising for awhile and you gun it. Lito has made that go away actually. I have never had it since he tuned my car.

But a log sent to them will show them what the car is actually reading and if you can get it to happen on the log even better.

07 Boss

Reaction score
Just cut your losses and run. Just go with a good tuner. This is good advice, not sure if that makes a difference or not, but maybe you will listen.

luisvts

Reaction score
So it was the tune or the fuel pump? have the same problem all ready replaced a lot of things with new oem parts

XJCasper

forum member
Reaction score
I am having a similar issues since upgrading to a Ford Racing injector retuning. Working with LITO to figure it out. Heading out to get another data log in a minute. I installed them a way that not stock by LITO said was working better in the S197s. My son wonders if one of the new injectors might be dirty.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back