swflastang05's build thread

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
I'm finally getting around to installing a CAI for my blower! I ordered up some 4" aluminum pipe last week and started working on it this afternoon, I think it's going to turn out pretty sweet. I want to design it so it can be open for track days and have a 90 degree elbow and air filter for driving on the street, either configuration will end up right behind the grill up front. Here's what I have so far (race set up, opening right behind the front grill) don't laugh at my welds, this is my first time welding aluminum for an actual project lol

TzMX5csl.jpg
I was just thinking I wish I had that skill, I may have to try to talk you into making me one for my Procharger when it comes in.
I really like the combo

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
The couplings I ordered haven't come in yet but I did make a little more progress. I ended up having to cut a length out of the S tube to shorten it then weld the straight length to the end for an extension. I have most of it just tacked together at the moment but it looks like it's going to fit like a glove. Once the couplings come in and I test fit everything I do the finish welding and it should be good to go.
lhnJ96Jl.jpg

fordave

dna (ford)
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That is pretty sweet my buddy has the same set up that I sold him from my previous build he's going to want 1 of those after I show it to him

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
That is pretty sweet my buddy has the same set up that I sold him from my previous build he's going to want 1 of those after I show it to him
Thanks, it's not coming out too bad for my first ever attempt

Made a little more progress today, did the final test fitment, made some adjustments and completed all the finish welding. I started getting the hang of it and had the welds actually look half way decent just as I was finishing up figures lol. I hope to finish tomorrow and get to the track this weekend.

rok9gAOl.jpg

s2qDwZnl.jpg

AiZsG00l.jpg

Track version
aIczdmnl.jpg

Street version
4QDxpXCl.jpg

Should work out pretty good

fordave

dna (ford)
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thanks, it's not coming out too bad for my first ever attempt

Made a little more progress today, did the final test fitment, made some adjustments and completed all the finish welding. I started getting the hang of it and had the welds actually look half way decent just as I was finishing up figures lol. I hope to finish tomorrow and get to the track this weekend.

rok9gAOl.jpg

s2qDwZnl.jpg

AiZsG00l.jpg

Track version
aIczdmnl.jpg

Street version
4QDxpXCl.jpg

Should work out pretty good
It's looking good looks like your using a Eastwood tig, witch track runday Sunday this weekend in Bradenton

travelers

Reaction score
It's looking good. Now if you make some for the other guys, you should have the welds really down pat. Good luck at the track.

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
Thanks guys, it's actually just an AHP Alpha TIG 200x (2016 version) but it works pretty good.

Yes I'm planning to head to Bradenton for RS, we'll see if that actually happens or not but that's what I'm planning on at the moment.

Haha I'll see about making some more sometime, and how the next version can be improved.

And...drum roll....

Done!
Oe7xD57l.jpg

fNvBi9kl.jpg

lxikWrtl.jpg

XI6tEzFl.jpg

Since I'm planning to go to the track this weekend. Otherwise the street version will be "default".

Manuel is very confident that this will make a big improvement with IAT's, Can't wait to see!

fordave

dna (ford)
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, it's actually just an AHP Alpha TIG 200x (2016 version) but it works pretty good.

Yes I'm planning to head to Bradenton for RS, we'll see if that actually happens or not but that's what I'm planning on at the moment.

Haha I'll see about making some more sometime, and how the next version can be improved.

And...drum roll....

Done!
Oe7xD57l.jpg

fNvBi9kl.jpg

lxikWrtl.jpg

XI6tEzFl.jpg

Since I'm planning to go to the track this weekend. Otherwise the street version will be "default".

Manuel is very confident that this will make a big improvement with IAT's, Can't wait to see!
O man good luck with it, it defiantly looks like it's going to help out with iat's wish I had 1 when I was running my setup tried everything, besides what you came up with, that's awesome, hopefully I'll see you at the track in march

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
What did you do with the ABS? I have been considering the delete block but I don't see anything there...

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
O man good luck with it, it defiantly looks like it's going to help out with iat's wish I had 1 when I was running my setup tried everything, besides what you came up with, that's awesome, hopefully I'll see you at the track in march

Thanks Dave, I hope I make it there in March! I'll be there no matter what it's just a matter if I'll be there with my car or not, work is getting really nuts making it hard to get away, we'll see how it goes though

What did you do with the ABS? I have been considering the delete block but I don't see anything there...

I just took it out completely and connected the calipers directly to the MC. IIRC I ran new lines to the fronts but the rears were able to connect with some adapters.

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
Well I did make it to the track yesterday, good news is I didn't break anything! Bad news is there are a few issues that need to be addressed before making more passes. I only made one pass, of course right off the trailer with no timing and low boost, even blew the tires loose on the 1-2 shift, lifted, then got back into it and bounced off the rev limiter a couple times before finally shifting into 3rd and getting down the track and it went 9.62 @ 143, which given all those circumstances isn't too bad. More fun facts include the voltage dropped to 11.1 volts, which shows my alternator is failing, also IAT's were up over 210+ degrees! It leaned out pretty good too, surprisingly it didn't melt any plugs, Lito sent a new tune and had me increase the rail pressure by about 15 psi. My new CAI popped off the SC at some point, Lito thinks probably when I lifted at the finish line. Lastly, it was leaking some tranny fluid so I decided to load up and call it a day, head back, make the repairs and improvements then head back up and try again. I ordered a sweet 165a alternator from Jason (DOB) today, and am looking at options for a bigger IC, if anyone wants a procharger HO IC, I'll have one available soon! Tranny fluid was leaking from the dipstick o-ring, luckily that was not a big issue. I need to weld a bead on the CAI pipe so it won't come off again, and a few other minor tweaks. Hope to head back up again next month, I doubt I'll have it done for the NMRA race but such is life, I'd rather have it right then blow it up again. Here's a short video of my crappy driving lol.

Actually this was my first time down the track with the new 8.50 cage and window net, etc. which all takes a little getting used to. First run with this motor, transmission and convertor too, really a whole new combo, I think it has some potential though, I'm not stopping until I get a time slip that starts with an 8!

travelers

Reaction score
With all the problems with that run with a 9.6, I don't see any problem with you making it to 8s. But like you said it almost a completely new setup. Congrats.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
LITO pulling the timing saved the motor with it leaning out. Very nice first effort.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back