T56 magnum xl swap question

teeje

Reaction score
Hey all, I think I'm sure I have everything I need but I just want to clarify. I have all the parts already and want to be sure. I'm swapping to a t56 magnum xl in my 08 gt with a built engine. I have a Manley 8 bolt crank, so naturally, I needed an 8 bolt flywheel and a 26 spline clutch to accommodate for the input shaft on the xl. That being said, I bought an OEM throwout bearing for gts, and a McLeod rxt (part number 6918-07) this clutch kit is for the 07-09 gt500. I got this because it included the flywheel as well. If I'm correct, I shouldn't need to shim the throwout bearing correct? Also..this clutch kit, paired with this trans should fit just fine? I'd assume so.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

MrBhp

Reaction score
I'm trying to blow up my 5 speed so I can do this same swap.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
You have to check the throwout bearing preload. A shim came with my xl, and it was the correct thickness.

You will need a tune to enter the xl's gear ratios. Or you will not have cruise control.

teeje

Reaction score
You have to check the throwout bearing preload. A shim came with my xl, and it was the correct thickness.

You will need a tune to enter the xl's gear ratios. Or you will not have cruise control.
Yeah, lito is on it for the tune. Was the shim for an oem throwout bearing? I haven't looked in the crate yet. It's sitting in the garage. Also, what clutch kit do you have?
Also how do I check the preloaded? It was my understanding the xl was made for use with oe Throwout bearing

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Yes, the shim is for a stock throwout/stock clutch. I put in a Dorman stock slave and Centerforce DF clutch.
You will have to look up the procedure to measure preload.

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
I’m using a McLeod flywheel and RXT clutch with the T56 magnum XL in my 2010 GT. Also using a McLeod stock style slave cylinder. This throw out bearing is the exact same length as the stock one and it required a 1/2” thick spacer to get good preload. The same spacer was required when I ran the McLeod street extreme clutch. You will need longer bolts to mount the slave cylinder and spacer.

BAFBC690-484E-4B37-A5DC-9D35CD8B76FE.jpeg

teeje

Reaction score
I’m using a McLeod flywheel and RXT clutch with the T56 magnum XL in my 2010 GT. Also using a McLeod stock style slave cylinder. This throw out bearing is the exact same length as the stock one and it required a 1/2” thick spacer to get good preload. The same spacer was required when I ran the McLeod street extreme clutch. You will need longer bolts to mount the slave cylinder and spacer.

View attachment 77053
With my clutch kit being for the 07-09 gt500 it should be the same yes?

Also McLeods instructions state the clutch kits are designed for use with OEM bearings.

I just confirmed with ford. 05-10 Mustang gts and 07-09 gt500s use the same slave cylinder

Last edited:

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
Also McLeods instructions state the clutch kits are designed for use with OEM bearings
Yes, that is what they say but you still should check the throw out engagement. The bearing should be compressed near an inch so it will have full travel. Very easy to check before you put the trans in the car.

teeje

Reaction score
Yes, that is what they say but you still should check the throw out engagement. The bearing should be compressed near an inch so it will have full travel. Very easy to check before you put the trans in the car.
Alright, smart. Any tips on doing this? I can't seem to find much info.

teeje

Reaction score
McLeod actually reached out to me. Told them what I have and they even said a shim is not needed as long as I'm using a clutch and flywheel package for an 05-17gt or 07-09 gt500. Only ones that are different are 10-14 gt500. I hope this info will help someone else one day...regardless..I am interested in checking the preload, and how to do so. I can't find any good info. I've checked Google and the forums.

Reaction score
With the non-integrated bellhousing on the Magnum it's pretty easy.

Install the bellhousing and clutch on the engine. Measure from the rear flange of the bellhousing to the clutch fingers, where the throw out bearing will sit. I believe I laid a straight edge along the back of the bellhousing and used a tape measure to measure down to the clutch fingers.

Then measure from the front of the transmission case, where it will sit against the bellhousing, to the front surface of the throw out bearing, where the bearing will sit against the clutch fingers.

The second number you measure should be larger, since the throw out bearing will be compressed when it is installed. The difference between the two is the preload on the throw out bearing.

The actual bearing on the front of the throw out bearing continuously rides against the clutch fingers, and when you press the clutch pedal it will fully extend, to the position it is with the transmission out of the car.

Good luck!

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
I just remembered something about my install. Just so you dont go "wtf, it dont fit".
The trans was a really tight fit into the bellhousing. A quick google search confirmed others having the same issue. (You may or may not) But the last 1/2" installing the trans was a bitch. So you may want to mock up the bellhousing onto the trans before assembly.

teeje

Reaction score
With the non-integrated bellhousing on the Magnum it's pretty easy.

Install the bellhousing and clutch on the engine. Measure from the rear flange of the bellhousing to the clutch fingers, where the throw out bearing will sit. I believe I laid a straight edge along the back of the bellhousing and used a tape measure to measure down to the clutch fingers.

Then measure from the front of the transmission case, where it will sit against the bellhousing, to the front surface of the throw out bearing, where the bearing will sit against the clutch fingers.

The second number you measure should be larger, since the throw out bearing will be compressed when it is installed. The difference between the two is the preload on the throw out bearing.

The actual bearing on the front of the throw out bearing continuously rides against the clutch fingers, and when you press the clutch pedal it will fully extend, to the position it is with the transmission out of the car.

Good luck!
Ok second part...I measure from the front of the trans where the bellhousing bolts to, to the bearing. This part is what confuses me. What measurement should I be looking for when all said and done? How do I get this? Subtract A from B?

Also how do I measure from the trans to the throwout bearing? Do I use the same method as measuring the distance on the bellhousing to the fingers by using a straight edge?

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
I found some numbers scribbled on the clutch and trans paperwork form my install. Maybe they will help visualize how to measure. With the throw out bearing unit bolted to the transmission lay a straight edge across the bearing face and measure back to the transmission mounting flange. Mine was 3 9/16”. Now, with the flywheel, clutch, pressure plate and bell house bolted and torqued to the engine measure from the transmission mounting face on the bell house to the pressure plate fingers. Mine was 3 1/8”. The difference between 3 9/16” and 3 1/8” is 7/16”. That is the preload. Add to that the flex in the pedal and mount and the travel is marginal. I added a 1/2” spacer between the trans and throwout unit and that gives about 1” preload.
Hope this helps. :driver:

teeje

Reaction score
I found some numbers scribbled on the clutch and trans paperwork form my install. Maybe they will help visualize how to measure. With the throw out bearing unit bolted to the transmission lay a straight edge across the bearing face and measure back to the transmission mounting flange. Mine was 3 9/16”. Now, with the flywheel, clutch, pressure plate and bell house bolted and torqued to the engine measure from the transmission mounting face on the bell house to the pressure plate fingers. Mine was 3 1/8”. The difference between 3 9/16” and 3 1/8” is 7/16”. That is the preload. Add to that the flex in the pedal and mount and the travel is marginal. I added a 1/2” spacer between the trans and throwout unit and that gives about 1” preload.
Hope this helps. :driver:
Thank you. I will check it all out and see where I land. I'm hoping I won't need to use a spacer. I'm using the entire flywheel and clutch kit and they include a adapter/shim plate that goes I'm between the pressure plate

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
I have seen this very issue covered in other threads. Just can’t find them now.
McLeod lightened steel flywheel and RXT clutch.

650C0E78-1D7D-4601-AAF6-B582A8D0E6D2.jpeg

teeje

Reaction score
I have seen this very issue covered in other threads. Just can’t find them now.
McLeod lightened steel flywheel and RXT clutch.

View attachment 77063
Yeah I know, I swear I've seen them before, now they're all gone. Either way, I'll report my findings that way the info is here for the next guy

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Which ratio did you go with?
Did you get a good deal on it?
If so, where from?

I'm looking to do mine soon.

teeje

Reaction score
Which ratio did you go with?
Did you get a good deal on it?
If so, where from?

I'm looking to do mine soon.
2.97 first gear complete kit All the way to the driveshaft. 5500, from Mike Mak at tps motorsports

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ughhh...I want this bad. Damn stocker just doesn't want to die.

Good luck with the install.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back