T56 magnum xl swap question

teeje

Reaction score
Ughhh...I want this bad. Damn stocker just doesn't want to die.

Good luck with the install.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
It will be a fun one. Putting this in as well.
ebedfd88e878a32f121fa3513c4628bb.jpg

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

cgornowich

forum member
Reaction score
I swapped out my 5 speed for the Tremec Magnum a while back and it's much better than the stock trans. But, there are a few things I learned:
1. Needs at least 3.73 rear gears even with the wider ratio Magnum, especially with the lightened flywheel. Even now, it's not the best at stoplight grand prix starts...
2. The RXT clutch works very well. It sounds horrible in 3rd and 4th, but it works fine....
3. I thought I could muscle my way past the reverse lock-out, and I was right. But it gets old really quick. I finally installed a module from Samco, works perfectly.
4. A 3' long socket extension with a swivel end made pulling the trans much easier.
5. I finally settled on Red Line 50205 MTL 75W80 gear oil, after 4 different types it seems to shift best.

Best of Luck!

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
^^ #5 Gear lube in the trans??? While I agree something thicker needs to bein there than ATF but Tremec says "atf only".

SPeace-ATL

forum member
Reaction score
...but Tremec says "ATF only".

Going with gear oil will have long-term negative effects with your Tremec.

Tremec's recommended fluids are better for your transmission in the long run and should always be used...

I will say I have torn down several transmissions that have had gear oil in them or Synchromesh Fluid. Granted, these were mostly TR3650s. They were the nastiest transmissions inside I've ever seen and had lots of problems.

Note that for transmissions built with the custom G-Force or Astro gears it is recommended that a thicker oil be mixed with the ATF. For the alloy of these custom gears the thicker fluid is needed to prevent pitting on the drive teeth.

For the TR6060 and Magnum, the synchro rings are smaller but have multiple friction surfaces to make up for it. These rings need to be able to get a good grip and not slip and slide in a cushion of thick gear oil...

If people insist on thickening the fluid, do so at your own risk, BUT at least choose a Fully Synthetic fluid to reduce the nasty black buildup inside. Put in one quart of something like Mobil-1 Full-Synthetic 75w140 and and then finish filling it with Synthetic Mobil-1 ATF (similar to Mercon-V, but the Mercon-V is not fully synthetic).

Oh, and for lined synchro rings avoid specialty fluids. These have some unusual additives. I sometimes see synchro rings that the bond that secures the linings in the rings has dissolved and the lining is just floating/crumbling in the synchro ring. That doesn't happen when the recommended fluids are used.

Stan

jdlatil

Twin Srew Driver
Reaction score
I have same set in my ‘07 for 6 years,
RXT clutch with lighten flywheel.
Did not need spacer.
Don’t use gear oil! Will void warranty.
I run 4.10 gears and love it.

1950StangJump$

forum member
Reaction score
I agree that they sound like shit in 3rd and especially 4th between 1600 and 2100 RPMs with a dual plate clutch like the RXT. Nature of the beast. Think of them as big boy power noises.

As for fluid, I agree with others . . . get gear oil out of there. But, I will say that I have found Pennzoil Syncromesh to be the best shifting for both the 3650 and the Magnum. Never heard anyone say Syncromesh was bad for a 3650 like SPeace reports

SPeace-ATL

forum member
Reaction score
As for fluid, I agree with others . . . get gear oil out of there. But, I will say that I have found Pennzoil Syncromesh to be the best shifting for both the 3650 and the Magnum. Never heard anyone say Syncromesh was bad for a 3650 like SPeace reports

I believe at one time the Pennzoil Synchromesh was suggested by Tremec Support, but that has since stopped. Synchromesh is the recommended fluid for a TKO and works well there with the BRONZE synchro rings. It still makes the insides get really sooty black and if used, it should be changed frequently. I would recommend the Mobil-1 in a TKO if it has the custom Carbon-Fiber synchro ring linings.

The TR3650 seems to get along well with it the Synchromesh, but the build-up can't be good for the transmission. It really gets nasty in there after a while. There are a lot of people using it, but most of them drive their cars hard anyway, so some of the damage I see may not entirely be the fault of the fluid. LOL

Gear oil? NO! At least not unless it is blended with the ATF and is Synthetic.

jdlatil

Twin Srew Driver
Reaction score
I have used Dexron, Synchromesh and Mobile One in the Tremec XL.
The Mobile One was best shifting fluid but still little notchy till fluid warns up.
I have no unusual sounds in 3 or 4 gear.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
I have used Dexron, Synchromesh and Mobile One in the Tremec XL.
The Mobile One was best shifting fluid but still little notchy till fluid warns up.
I have no unusual sounds in 3 or 4 gear.
Thats because you dont have the RXT clutch. ;)

1950StangJump$

forum member
Reaction score
Not sure how you avoided the "marbles in a coffee can" sound from the RXT at the low RPMs. Every one I've ever driven did it -- it's the harmonics of the drivetrain combined with an unsprung clutch transmitting up. It's the worst in 4th gear because of the 1:1 ratio.

Back to fluid . . . On my 3650, I ran Merc V, Mobile 1, and Syncromesh . . . all back to back to back . . . to see if there was a difference. For me, the Syncromesh was quite clearly the best. I can't speak to the long term effects that SPeace mentions though. I agree that Tremec used to recommend Syncromesh but now only Merc V or Mobil 1 . . . but there could be a number off reasons for that, including simple marketing agreements.

On my Magnum, when I went from Mobil 1 to Syncromesh, it did improve . . . but just barely.

teeje

Reaction score
Not sure how you avoided the "marbles in a coffee can" sound from the RXT at the low RPMs. Every one I've ever driven did it -- it's the harmonics of the drivetrain combined with an unsprung clutch transmitting up. It's the worst in 4th gear because of the 1:1 ratio.

Back to fluid . . . On my 3650, I ran Merc V, Mobile 1, and Syncromesh . . . all back to back to back . . . to see if there was a difference. For me, the Syncromesh was quite clearly the best. I can't speak to the long term effects that SPeace mentions though. I agree that Tremec used to recommend Syncromesh but now only Merc V or Mobil 1 . . . but there could be a number off reasons for that, including simple marketing agreements.

On my Magnum, when I went from Mobil 1 to Syncromesh, it did improve . . . but just barely.
McLeod supplies shim plates now so mitigate that issue supposedly. We will see how it works. Also, my t56 came with amsoil. It actually came with everything down to the driveshaft including the harness, reverse solenoid and Bluetooth module

1950StangJump$

forum member
Reaction score
Interesting. Obviously, there are shims for the slave cylinder to get the correct engagement, but that's the first I've heard of shims for the noise.

When I had JPC install my last one, the owner said to me, "I'm honestly not sure how the market has allowed McLeod to get away with that noise."

jdlatil

Twin Srew Driver
Reaction score
What setup on RXT, did you use McLeod flywheel aluminum or steel, did use new oem clutch slave? New pilot shaft Bearin?

My Tremec XL just as quiet in all gears.

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
McLeod supplies shim plates now so mitigate that issue supposedly. We will see how it works. Also, my t56 came with amsoil. It actually came with everything down to the driveshaft including the harness, reverse solenoid and Bluetooth module

Interesting that your T56 mag. Xl came with Amsoil when Tremec has their own brand HD MTF recommended for that trans. I also remember reading Tremec approves the use of Mobile 1 all brands synthetic ATF. I have used Tremec HD MTF. It is a little thicker than ATF and makes for slow shifts in Alaska weather.

SPeace-ATL

forum member
Reaction score
I've been afraid of the Amsoil ATF after I opened a T-5 several years ago that had been running it for several years.

First, I will say that this was the CLEANEST T-5 I have ever opened (other than new) which speaks well for the cleaning additives in the Amsoil.

BUT, the issue with that T-5 was that the linings of the synchro rings had come unglued from the rings and were floating in the synchros. I guess it "cleaned" the adhesive right off of those rings! I'm sure not all types of rings are vulnerable to this, but which ones are and which ones are not?

This is why I say to avoid fluids with "special" additives.

Stan

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back