Testing with new turbos/converter

Bud

forum member
Reaction score
Well, finally got the first test session in with the sleeved block, new turbos, and new converter. It has been awhile since I'd driven the car so we eased into it. Also slowly upped the 2 step to figure out where the bigger turbos wanted to be at launch. Car is doing good for hot weather and 70% humidity. Last pass was gonna be a good one but I barely caught the limiter and that cost us a good amount. This probably makes about 10 passes total for me in the 8's. I have lots of practicing to do. Get the driver ready, the 60 back in the 1.25 range and we should be good in KY in about a month. We should be able to ramp in boost a little quicker as well, just needs more testing with the new converter, it locks down really hard just after launch.

1gpx4.jpg

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Car's balling the mail!

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Dear god that thing moves out, looks like it leaves soft and then all of a sudden power ramps up and boom.........its gone.

Bud

forum member
Reaction score
Funny, that is exactly how it feels too. With the old converter as soon as you let go of the button it was intense. Now with this new converter, even with a 1.3x 60' it feels soft just for a bit, then the converter tightens up and it pulls HARD. I'm sure once we start stepping it up more on the launch and get back into the 1.2x range it'll be right back to scary off the line.

Mystickeith50

forum member
Reaction score
Christ I thought this was in Colorado at first!!! I agree with James it looks like it leaves so soft and then BAM!

Bud

forum member
Reaction score
Do you already have a CO2 bottle in there?

I don't, running an eboost2 electronic controller still. An air or electric shifter would fix the problem but I'd feel like a wanker moving to that because I can't make 1 shift on time. I am heavy handing the steering wheel with one hand though and imparting a bit of steering I shouldn't as well which would probably be better with two hands on the wheel. I think both of those issues will get better with some more practice. Probably not the smartest idea to just hop into an 8 second car and go, but slowly getting used to it.

Some of my local rules don't allow air/c02 shifting as well.

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Good job. That 8.38 and 8.40 is pretty impressive when you look at the soft 60' on those same runs. A lot of potential as you know. 35 mph on the back half, its pulling hard. 8.0Xs to 8.1Xs when you have it dialed. Then there is the DA, which wasn't helping.

Bud

forum member
Reaction score
Good job. That 8.38 and 8.40 is pretty impressive when you look at the soft 60' on those same runs. A lot of potential as you know. 35 mph on the back half, its pulling hard. 8.0Xs to 8.1Xs when you have it dialed. Then there is the DA, which wasn't helping.

Thanks man, I will be kicking myself on the driving end until we get another shot at good air in BG. That 8.40 was gonna be a good one until I hit the limiter, which resets cam timing, and you can feel it in the car. When that happens it is down on power for what feels like forever in the car. That late shift hurt our results pretty bad. Oh well, driver needs to get with it.

I think we have more left in the 60' and ramping power in quicker. I'm still on SA rear shocks too, but it looks like the rear is controlled ok so far. I think it is time to get rid of the icebath trans cooler that uses my a2w icewater. My inlet temps were already hot when staging. It is burning through my ice before it ever gets a chance to help cool inlets on the top end. I'm going to try and get a standalone ice box with a trans cooler in it before BG. Thinking that will help our back half for sure.

Between some tweaks with the driver, trans cooler, and tuneup I think we have a good bit more on the table. Good news is, we were at the limiter on the old converter at 165mph. With this new PTC converter we are at 7200rpm at 165, so we have room to grow there as well.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back