The Coyote VCT and how it works.

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
I only lived a few blocks from Yanko Chevy where I grew up. Yanko was a small town hole in the wall dealership near a drag strip called Pittsburgh International Drag Way where Grumpy Jenkins was racing one bad ass Chevy II with a 302 in it. In any event, I remember them talking cams as advanced and retarded and then lobe split from 108 degrees to 114 and anything in the middle. As a result, they can take a stock L82 cam used from 1957 to 1982 and play with those 4 specs and still stay stock. I am sure Ford realized that if you split the cam in two and put cam Phasers on the end, you can adjust at will those specs. Make it smooth with high torque on one end and high rpm and rough idle on the other. Thus a Ghost Cam. I guess you could lock the Phasers and design the engine to one RPM range. For sure the Gen I engine has different Cam and Phasers then the Gen II. So a Gen I engine is not interchangeable with a Gen II Coyote Engine as far as the ECU is concerned.

oldVOR

forum member
Reaction score
YENKO is the correct name of the very famous dealership and the namesake of cars they "modded" back in the day. I'd think someone growing up a few blocks from a dealership with a famous name like that would at least remember how to spell it correctly.

I only lived a few blocks from Yanko Chevy where I grew up. Yanko was a small town hole in the wall dealership near a drag strip called Pittsburgh International Drag Way where Grumpy Jenkins was racing one bad ass Chevy II with a 302 in it. In any event, I remember them talking cams as advanced and retarded and then lobe split from 108 degrees to 114 and anything in the middle. As a result, they can take a stock L82 cam used from 1957 to 1982 and play with those 4 specs and still stay stock. I am sure Ford realized that if you split the cam in two and put cam Phasers on the end, you can adjust at will those specs. Make it smooth with high torque on one end and high rpm and rough idle on the other. Thus a Ghost Cam. I guess you could lock the Phasers and design the engine to one RPM range. For sure the Gen I engine has different Cam and Phasers then the Gen II. So a Gen I engine is not interchangeable with a Gen II Coyote Engine as far as the ECU is concerned.

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
YENKO is the correct name of the very famous dealership and the namesake of cars they "modded" back in the day. I'd think someone growing up a few blocks from a dealership with a famous name like that would at least remember how to spell it correctly.
It has been some time. No doubt about it. It was a Hole In The Wall small town dealership with big pull with Chevy and Bill "Grumpy" Jenkins was always hanging around. Jenkins was a very big name in Pittsburgh. I was just a teenager and really into Mopars.

Last edited:

ox white

forum member
Reaction score
Is there a question here? There's certainly no tech info.

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
I thought it was 302 Chit Chat and getting them to spin at 8000 rpm.

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
I bet a set of Coyote heads would do wonders on a 5L flathead block.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
LarryJM has to be a troll. That or a moron.

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
Lots of interesting things about the 1932 V8 and V12 flatheads.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
flattie

I'm partial to the LS engines - they don't need complicated newfangled vct to make power. Simple design and a nice idle to boot.

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
Then there is always the Hellcat. Although everyone likes the song Hot Rod Lincoln with it's V12.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back