The Definitive "Hard To Shift" Thread

2010 SLEEPER GT

Reaction score
They offer three packages with different options (Flat Stick w/ White or Black Ball, OEM Look or Both). Barton’s site shows $329.00 for the one I purchased.

PLee

forum member
Reaction score
Seems there are many different problems in this thread!! Hard time finding third, downshifting problems, grinding, etc... Just a lot to sort through. I don't think there is one perfect shifter to fix all of these problems, though- the Barton is a very nice piece, but at the end of the day it is still a remote-mounted shifter.

I too had problems w/ the stamped steel Hurst; it was super-floppy... switching to the Hurst Billet, self-centering is perfecting and slamming it into 3rd is a piece of cake. What i DO have problems w/ however is downshifting. For a long time I had a hard time downshifting into 3rd & 2nd at speed. I added the CHE brace w/ limiters, and initially it only helped a little. I decided to play around w/ the limiters' adjustments, and finally came up w/ a combo that helped downshifting into 3rd a TON. Point being- those w/ the CHE brace, please do some experimenting... there is likely a better adjustment that you haven't tried yet.

Downshifting into 2nd still remains tough, but Royal Purple and stiffer mounts are on my hit list for the near future...

Corpo

I
Reaction score
I have the steeda. I prefer it to the mgw. Its non adjustable. But its solid. Feels notchy I suppose. But you can feel when your in gear.

Defiance GT

forum member
Reaction score
I have the steeda. I prefer it to the mgw. Its non adjustable. But its solid. Feels notchy I suppose. But you can feel when your in gear.

So here's my problem Ive come to love my shifter with how low it is the feel of it and most all the after market shifters are really high and cannot use the stock shifter? Any thoughts any one have a good after market one that uses the stock in the same height range as stock?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

avinaj80

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I was having a hell of a hard time shifting into 2nd, 3rd, and 4th under decent loads for a while. Ended up changing the motor mounts with some poly mounts and it has helped out a lot. Had to basically re learn how to drive the damn car because the engagement was like it was brand new. Dunno if it's everyone's fix, but I'm on the same boat with those who the mount swap has corrected the issue.

Corpo

I
Reaction score
So here's my problem Ive come to love my shifter with how low it is the feel of it and most all the after market shifters are really high and cannot use the stock shifter? Any thoughts any one have a good after market one that uses the stock in the same height range as stock?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Steeds is stock height.

JanShelbyGT500

forum member
Reaction score
Update : So I am pretty feld up with my car's tranny. I have installed :
Che brace with torque limiters
RST Twin disc clutch with flywheel
MGW Shifter
Engine poly mounts
new OEM slave cylinder

And yet it grinds into 3rd. It has gotten better but is still an issue. Only things left to do are add RP Syncrhromax oil, new ram adjustable slave and new syncros. Which do you guys recommend? I feel that i have spent all this money on this issue without solution. Should i try replacing the oil? How many quarts does it take?

zxmarekxz

Reaction score
Update : So I am pretty feld up with my car's tranny. I have installed :
Che brace with torque limiters
RST Twin disc clutch with flywheel
MGW Shifter
Engine poly mounts
new OEM slave cylinder

And yet it grinds into 3rd. It has gotten better but is still an issue. Only things left to do are add RP Syncrhromax oil, new ram adjustable slave and new syncros. Which do you guys recommend? I feel that i have spent all this money on this issue without solution. Should i try replacing the oil? How many quarts does it take?

i had mine rebuilt and it got better...

ksack

forum member
Reaction score
id go synchros. I was having the problem but fixed it with the che brace, synchromesh, and Spec 3+ clutch. The clutch is what really did it. If i remember correctly synchro kits are under 200 on the interwebs

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Pennzoil Syncromesh eliminated the grinding and notchy feel, but not the 3rd gear lockout at high rpm. Synchro kit is next for me. The 3650 holds 3.2 quarts for optimum performance. Ford used to recommend 4 quarts but changed the recommendation several years back.

908ssp

forum member
Reaction score
I read that the new 2013 GT500 is coming with an aluminum clutch master that has a larger bore diameter. This will move the slave piston faster and farther than the stock slave. It will also increase the pressure required from you foot. Being aluminum in stead of plastic it will resist any expanding with high pressure pressure plates. This might be a worthwhile up grade for those with heavy duty clutches and shifting problems.

ksack

forum member
Reaction score
Even though I solved my shifting problem with a clutch swap, I dropped the ball on a Barton shifter with OEM knob option. The more I've been using my hurst, the more annoyed I get with it. Ill keep ya posted!

Fuerte

forum member
Reaction score
Pennzoil stopped the notchyness and the grinding plus my high rpm lock out only happen during winter. Next step is a Barton shifter when funds allow.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

2010 SLEEPER GT

Reaction score
Well I had the Stang out to the local Flashlight Drags again last Sunday. The BARTON shifter continues to impress me. Every time the shift light came on (6000 RPM) the BARTON shifted flawlessly. The missed 2nd to 3rd shifts are a thing of the past! I now know that this shifter has been the best modification I’ve made to my Stang. :thumb2:
In my opinion, BARTON has more than lived up to what they promised this shifter would do for our cars.

Fuerte

forum member
Reaction score
Well I had the Stang out to the local Flashlight Drags again last Sunday. The BARTON shifter continues to impress me. Every time the shift light came on (6000 RPM) the BARTON shifted flawlessly. The missed 2nd to 3rd shifts are a thing of the past! I now know that this shifter has been the best modification I’ve made to my Stang. :thumb2:
In my opinion, BARTON has more than lived up to what they promised this shifter would do for our cars.

Yup I really want to pick one up but I would rather pay off my CC.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back