The 'Dumb Question' Thread

46Tbird

forum member
Reaction score
This is a thread for all the drag racing questions you've always wanted to know the answer to, but were afraid to ask.

Here, I'll start.

What is a WOT box? I don't know about you guys, but I'm always full throttle at the dragstrip.

What does it mean to go "FI"? I thought all these cars were fuel injected.

I'm sure I'll think of more. Thanks.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Everyone knows going FI means fuel injection buddy.

Swarzkopf

forum member
Reaction score
What does it mean to go "FI"? I thought all these cars were fuel injected.

In the old days most folks did mean it as fuel injection, when most dudes were running carb'd setups....now in Internet forum land, it usually refers to "forced induction" as others have mentioned.

Personally, I'd rather see a thread like this posted then-
What type of rear spoiler should I get? Carbon fiber or not?
Can I make my illuminated door sills work?
The 1,839,351 variations of "What exhaust would sound best on my car?"
Check out my Eleanor clone!
Should I supercharge my 3V 4.6 or upgrade to a 2011+ GT?
etc

But that's just me. To each his own. :D

46Tbird

forum member
Reaction score
I knew they were dumb questions, that's why I prefaced them as such.

The forced induction one makes me give myself a facepalm... but the WOT one still has me scratching my head. I've done about a million powershifts and never needed any trickery to do them.

I do find it a little funny that the guy riding my ass the hardest is running mid-11s with a blower and methanol. Maybe he has some dumb questions he'd like answered too.

popworm.gif

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I'm not certain but from what I've gathered from the forums I think a WOT box externally controls the shift points on an auto transmission and eliminates the delay between gears when it shifts. Electronically slams it into the next gear at redline (or whatever rpm you set it at). Of course if I'm wrong then everyone can laugh at me also.

joedls

Dragracer wannabe
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm not certain but from what I've gathered from the forums I think a WOT box externally controls the shift points on an auto transmission and eliminates the delay between gears when it shifts. Electronically slams it into the next gear at redline (or whatever rpm you set it at). Of course if I'm wrong then everyone can laugh at me also.

You're wrong. :roflmao::roflmao:

WOT box

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Thanks for the link, Joedls. :thumb:

I wasn't too far off, it did have something to do with shifting when running wide open. :dunce:

46Tbird

forum member
Reaction score
I wasn't too far off, it did have something to do with shifting when running wide open. :dunce:
And now you know.

I really don't get the attitude. I don't hunt around the 4.6 tech forum - seeing as I don't have one. I also don't look in the V6 forums and I assume most of you don't either.

I appreciate the useful answers and maybe someone else won't get dogpiled if they have some basic / beginner questions to ask.

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
How about these ones.

You know how many people actually think reaction time affects your ET? How many of you know exactly how the timing system at the starting line works?. How many of you know exactly what rollout means, and how tire height, even air pressure, can affect it? How does shallow staging and deep staging affect your ET and reaction time at the track?

There is a few. Who has the right answers? Lets see. Marc S don't answer.

Swarzkopf

forum member
Reaction score
How many of you know exactly how the timing system at the starting line works?

Not sure what exactly your asking. When the timing equipment starts working? The difference between a Pro Tree and a full tree? I can probably answer if you elaborate.

No, what has to happen to activate the clock---exactly as far as the front tire.

Last edited by a moderator:

46Tbird

forum member
Reaction score
How about these ones.

You know how many people actually think reaction time affects your ET?
It doesn't.
How many of you know exactly how the timing system at the starting line works?
I do. Full and Pro tree are different.
How many of you know exactly what rollout means, and how tire height, even air pressure, can affect it?
Rollout is the distance your car has to move after staging to get the clocks started. Any change in front tire diameter will affect rollout.
How does shallow staging and deep staging affect your ET and reaction time at the track?
Shallow staging allows more of a running start at your pass but increases the time it takes for your car to break the beams. Deep staging is usually a bracket racer deal where you aren't looking for best time, just consistency and good r/t.

*edit, looks like I was beat to most of it*

46Tbird

forum member
Reaction score
*edit

I'm still thinking there are a lot of questions that other people have about racing their car, or just drag racing in general. It can be a little intimidating going to the track and asking questions or advice, especially when you don't know anybody there.

Just thought it would be a good idea to have a thread for all the drag racing questions that folks have.

Last edited:

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Cleaned up the thread, as I think it has potential. But if it gets sidetracked again I will just kill it.

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Not sure what exactly your asking. When the timing equipment starts working? The difference between a Pro Tree and a full tree? I can probably answer if you elaborate.

No, what has to happen to activate the clock---exactly as far as the front tire.

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I hope this thread stays on track. It could be a good information source for members that don't know a lot about racing.

Earl

Marc s

NASA AIX
Reaction score
How about these ones.

You know how many people actually think reaction time affects your ET? How many of you know exactly how the timing system at the starting line works?. How many of you know exactly what rollout means, and how tire height, even air pressure, can affect it? How does shallow staging and deep staging affect your ET and reaction time at the track?

There is a few. Who has the right answers? Lets see. Marc S don't answer.

Damn it!!

pmcferron

forum member
Reaction score
I don't have a question as much as I just have a statement to make to first time racers. Please don't drive though the water box with your front tires if there street tires. Drive around and back into the water. Idk how many times I've had cars with street tires pull water up to the beams and mess things up for me.... /end rant

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back