The 'Dumb Question' Thread

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I don't have a question as much as I just have a statement to make to first time racers. Please don't drive though the water box with your front tires if there street tires. Drive around and back into the water. Idk how many times I've had cars with street tires pull water up to the beams and mess things up for me.... /end rant

Yeah, and turn your A/C off.

And if you have F/I and like using ICE, don't burry you engine in ICE, as that ICE will turn to water and drip all over the track. Keep the ice in a sealed bag and lay it on top of the supercharger between rounds, and use a towel to wipe up any moisture.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Paul, I've actually been doing exactly that the last few times out. Works great for cooling down the blower. I get lots of funny looks when people see the big Ziplock bag on top of the motor but that's ok.

NA-Stang

AMC #8 aka "The Jockey"
Reaction score
I don't have a question as much as I just have a statement to make to first time racers. Please don't drive though the water box with your front tires if there street tires. Drive around and back into the water. Idk how many times I've had cars with street tires pull water up to the beams and mess things up for me.... /end rant

Christ, Id love to. But there is no room for me to get around the water box.

They even put up cones to block off what little room there is.

SRTthis

Reaction score
How about these ones.

You know how many people actually think reaction time affects your ET? How many of you know exactly how the timing system at the starting line works?. How many of you know exactly what rollout means, and how tire height, even air pressure, can affect it? How does shallow staging and deep staging affect your ET and reaction time at the track?

There is a few. Who has the right answers? Lets see. Marc S don't answer.

roll out is the distance a tire travels in 1 rotation... taller tire= longer roll out air pressure can make a tire "grow" if its a bias ply

reaction time means nothing in your actual ET.
shallow staging allows you to get more of a "running" start at the tree
the deep and shallow staging shit confuses me after that since its mainly used by bracket racers.

trucker

Reaction score
my blower car in full street trim runs mid 11's all nite long just my old bones don't get
the reaction times I used to when I was a young pup LoL
and my question is this are the newer 3 light trees 4 or 5 tens between lights

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It depends on your class. I have seen .400 protree, .500 protree, and .500 three amber.

Protree= all three yellows come on at the same time
3 amber = each yellow comes on separately for .500 seconds.

06vistabluegt

forum member
Reaction score
roll out is typically the one people don't get. It is the distance from where the front of your tire blocks the staged beam until it unblock the staged beam. This is typically 10-15 inches depending on tire size, air pressure and height of the staged beam.

Deep staging is rolling forward far enough to turn out the pre-staged bulb. Deep staging will typically improve reaction times but give you a slower ET.

Shallow staging is rolling forward just enough to barely turn on the staged bulb. This gives you a longer distance to roll before the timer starts which gives you a longer rolling start therefore reducing ET.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Good thread if it stays on track.

Copy and past because im too lazy to type it myself,

The term "rollout" might not be familiar, but it comes from the drag strip. The arrangement of the timing beams for drag racing can be confusing, primarily because the 7-inch separation between the "pre-stage" and "stage" beams is not the source of rollout. The pre-stage beam, which has no effect on timing, is only there to help drivers creep up to the starting position. Rollout comes from the 1-foot separation (11.5 inches, actually) between the point where the leading edge of a front tire "rolls in" to the final staging beam — triggering the countdown to the green light that starts the race — and the point where the trailing edge of that tire "rolls out" of that same beam, the triggering event that starts the clock. A driver skilled at "shallow staging" can therefore get almost a free foot of untimed acceleration before the clock officially starts, effectively achieving a rolling-start velocity of 3-5 mph and shaving the 0.3 second it typically takes to cover that distance off his elapsed time (ET) in the process.

Last edited:

SRTthis

Reaction score
It depends on your class. I have seen .400 protree, .500 protree, and .500 three amber.

Protree= all three yellows come on at the same time
3 amber = each yellow comes on separately for .500 seconds.

common name is a "sportman" tree or full tree

so which roll out were you looking for?

benjytps

forum member
Reaction score
Here is one for you..........

Should I do painted on or sticker racing stripes? I dont want the lip from the stickers to affect the aerodynamic drag so Im thinking Ill have them painted. What do you think?

true story........ I have yet to reply

tagappliedfor

forum member
Reaction score
Here is one for you..........

Should I do painted on or sticker racing stripes? I dont want the lip from the stickers to affect the aerodynamic drag so Im thinking Ill have them painted. What do you think?

true story........ I have yet to reply
no way....

tagappliedfor

forum member
Reaction score
for the five speeds, do y'all hold the brake and sidestep to prevent any rolling or do you just sit there with the clutch in like i do until the green light? i shallow stage by the way, and like someone else said they won't let you around the water so i try to take my time getting to the line and if other guy is slow i'll back up and do another burnout.

SRTthis

Reaction score
for the five speeds, do y'all hold the brake and sidestep to prevent any rolling or do you just sit there with the clutch in like i do until the green light? i shallow stage by the way, and like someone else said they won't let you around the water so i try to take my time getting to the line and if other guy is slow i'll back up and do another burnout.
ive done both... my car rolls my buddied 2000 i drove a few times didnt... bobs GT500 doesnt roll.

im hooking a line lock into my 2step so i can hold the brake with my shifter

06vistabluegt

forum member
Reaction score
Good thread if it stays on track.

Copy and past because im too lazy to type it myself,

The term "rollout" might not be familiar, but it comes from the drag strip. The arrangement of the timing beams for drag racing can be confusing, primarily because the 7-inch separation between the "pre-stage" and "stage" beams is not the source of rollout. The pre-stage beam, which has no effect on timing, is only there to help drivers creep up to the starting position. Rollout comes from the 1-foot separation (11.5 inches, actually) between the point where the leading edge of a front tire "rolls in" to the final staging beam — triggering the countdown to the green light that starts the race — and the point where the trailing edge of that tire "rolls out" of that same beam, the triggering event that starts the clock. A driver skilled at "shallow staging" can therefore get almost a free foot of untimed acceleration before the clock officially starts, effectively achieving a rolling-start velocity of 3-5 mph and shaving the 0.3 second it typically takes to cover that distance off his elapsed time (ET) in the process.

I agree with everything you said with the exception of 11.5". It isn't always 11.5". A 26" tall tire is going to have less rollout than a 28" tall tire. Air pressure also causes a variation in rollout. This is why you typically see people adjusting the air pressure in their front tires in the staging lanes, not just the back tires. They want their car to have the same rollout every round.
Summit Motorsports Park did a cool video describing rollout, I'll have to see if I can find it.

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
^^those dont do well in the auto-x circuit. and im serious, ive heard many different answers that involve clutch, no clutch, no lift, etc...

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back