Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
There's definitely a ticking noise over and above the normal injector clicking. How many miles are there on the engine? Any fault codes?
My first impression is that the driver's side cam phaser is the source of the noise but you really need to use a length of rubber hose as a stethoscope to localize it.
These engines do tend to develop rocker arm (cam follower) wear at higher mileages, and it's wise to replace the cam followers/lash adjusters at the same time if you're doing a timing job.
Let us know what you find.

Reaction score
Hi all, I’ve got a tick in my 2005 GT. Is this for sure lifter/follower tick? Speeds up with rpm. If so, what are the next steps?

https://youtube.com/shorts/wRh5YGsLW2U?feature=share
If the noise is there both cold and hot engine and also increases with rpm - most likely Roller Follower in one of the heads depending where sound is coming from, if when engine is cold only and doesnt increase with rpm - cam phaser. One way or another have to drop valve covers and check for followers, and if there might as well do upgraded followers and camphasers, if car has 100K plus miles check for chain stretch, those plastic tensioners love to leak and cause oil starvation in the head - then timing job as well. Sorry it sounds scary, but its completely doable, went through it

Colton

Reaction score
There's definitely a ticking noise over and above the normal injector clicking. How many miles are there on the engine? Any fault codes?
My first impression is that the driver's side cam phaser is the source of the noise but you really need to use a length of rubber hose as a stethoscope to localize it.
These engines do tend to develop rocker arm (cam follower) wear at higher mileages, and it's wise to replace the cam followers/lash adjusters at the same time if you're doing a timing job.
Let us know what you find.
Got 115,000, not throwing any codes. Have been doing my research the last couple days on replacing the followers and it’s just gonna come down to whether I’ve got the guts to do that or not. Thank you for the help, I really appreciate it!

Colton

Reaction score
If the noise is there both cold and hot engine and also increases with rpm - most likely Roller Follower in one of the heads depending where sound is coming from, if when engine is cold only and doesnt increase with rpm - cam phaser. One way or another have to drop valve covers and check for followers, and if there might as well do upgraded followers and camphasers, if car has 100K plus miles check for chain stretch, those plastic tensioners love to leak and cause oil starvation in the head - then timing job as well. Sorry it sounds scary, but its completely doable, went through it
Definitely does sound a little scary, hopefully YouTube will make it easier. Thank you for the help!

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score

Colton

Reaction score

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It's not bad, take your time and don't get frustrated. Use rags to block off oil passages. Personally I'd do it all while in there. I don't like doing stuff multiple times when it could have all been addressed at one time.

JC SSP

Reaction score
A video and step-by-step instructions would be great. ;)

I have close to 120K on my 05’ and know the day to do this is near…

JC SSP

Reaction score
This should definitely be in our forum library! THX buddy owe you a cold one.

Reaction score
That guys youtube is amazing and he has plenty of videos of that job done, that said - at 115-120k miles, on our 4.6 3v its about time to do the timing job due to stupid design of plastic tensioners with rubber gasket that starts leaking and oil doesnt go all the way into the head add melling high volume oil pump, get the ford performance timing kit with oem ford performance phasers- do not and i repeat do NOT buy aftermarket phasers, some boundary billet gears are optional

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back