tune question ba5000 MAF

circusboy

forum member
Reaction score
my MAF tune is requiring more fuel than any other BA5000 they have tuned. I'm also pegging my GT500 fuel pumps at 4200 rpm. setup in sig.

A/F looks great till around 5000 RPM the goes from 11.3 to 11.8 then back down to 11.5 ish around 5900 RPM.

Anyone else come across this issue?

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
How much boost/power? What size piping is the ba5000 in? Blowthru?

circusboy

forum member
Reaction score
16 PSI/ 3" pipe. A little over 500 RWHP. powerhouse kit with blow-thru

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have a ba5000 in a 3" pipe and made 650rwhp at 16psi and still have plenty of maf left. That gt500 setup with 60s should be good to 600rwhp.

Def something going on, maybe try a different maf, and verify both pumps are working.

lito

forum member
Reaction score
It depends on who made your BA5000.

Now a rant, not directed at you specifically more onto whatever tuners are people using.

All this tuning questions floating around made by customers, shouldn't that be a tuner responsibility????

Shouldn't he be in the now, or at least had to find out why things are like they are and how to resolve issues?

circusboy

forum member
Reaction score
I'm just trying to educate myself some. I really just wanted to see if anyone on here has had the same problem and might have a quick answer.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
I've got a BA5000 and nobody seems to be able to tune my car. I don't know if it's related or not but good luck.

circusboy

forum member
Reaction score
it was great at 14 PSI. It just did this at 16 PSI. I've had this BA5000 tuned at 21 PSI on the old setup. Just having issues this go around

lito

forum member
Reaction score
I'm just trying to educate myself some. I really just wanted to see if anyone on here has had the same problem and might have a quick answer.

Quick answer, there are two versions of BA5000.

I've got a BA5000 and nobody seems to be able to tune my car. I don't know if it's related or not but good luck.

Never had a problem with one, doubt that that is the problem. Your procharger IC is the race-big-don't_know_its_name one?

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
Quick answer, there are two versions of BA5000.

Never had a problem with one, doubt that that is the problem. Your procharger IC is the race-big-don't_know_its_name one?

I don't really think it's the MAF either. I'm running the typical stage II intercooler, and we've tuned it both ways with the MAF in the intercooler like Procharger suggests, or moved to the inlet pipe before the throttle body, and neither location is any better than the other. It's got a severely lean tip-in issue that nobody can figure out.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have seen 2 types of ba5000 as well. One looks stock with sct ba5000 engraved in it and the other has a white sticker on the top that says sct ba5000. Not sure what the difference would be.

lito

forum member
Reaction score
I don't really think it's the MAF either. I'm running the typical stage II intercooler, and we've tuned it both ways with the MAF in the intercooler like Procharger suggests, or moved to the inlet pipe before the throttle body, and neither location is any better than the other. It's got a severely lean tip-in issue that nobody can figure out.

That has nothing to do with the MAF itself, I suggest you going back to the IC location as signal is less noisier there than in the up to TB pipe and find a new tuner. I infer you have cams and a stroker and that changes the whole tuning game.

What is the difference between the two and how can you tell which one is which?

Physically I don't know how can be differentiated, the difference comes with who made each unit, the use different curves, the newer ones have more range. SCT does not make those.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
That has nothing to do with the MAF itself, I suggest you going back to the IC location as signal is less noisier there than in the up to TB pipe and find a new tuner. I infer you have cams and a stroker and that changes the whole tuning game.

Stock heads, stock cams, stock intake, stock tbody, and stock compression. The only engine mods are the stroker rotating assembly. Beyond that, 60lb injectors, GT500 pumps and BA5000 maf. It's really a pretty simple setup.

I've had multiple tuners, including some big names, have at it with no luck. I can't afford to keep throwing money at tuners and ending up with the same results. Most blame the maf location, but moving it never changes anything. Some tunes are better than others, but they all seem to have cold start issues (generally over-fueling), and the lean tip in. It's I'm driving a '73 Ford with a 390, and my Holley 850DP needs a new accelerator pump, except it's a fuel injected '05. lol.

Anyway I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I'm open to suggestions.

circusboy

forum member
Reaction score
ya'll have at it lol. My tuner has been working on it. He is loading a new tune tomorrow. hope all goes well

05yellowgt

Reaction score
Stock heads, stock cams, stock intake, stock tbody, and stock compression. The only engine mods are the stroker rotating assembly. Beyond that, 60lb injectors, GT500 pumps and BA5000 maf. It's really a pretty simple setup.

I've had multiple tuners, including some big names, have at it with no luck. I can't afford to keep throwing money at tuners and ending up with the same results. Most blame the maf location, but moving it never changes anything. Some tunes are better than others, but they all seem to have cold start issues (generally over-fueling), and the lean tip in. It's I'm driving a '73 Ford with a 390, and my Holley 850DP needs a new accelerator pump, except it's a fuel injected '05. lol.

Anyway I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I'm open to suggestions.
We had a hell of a time tuning mine, but we attributed that to not having the right injector information for the FRPP 80lb/hr injectors when they first came out. I've got a very similar setup. stroker, with stock everything else plus and F1. Only major difference was the fuel setup to yours. I have a the PMAS HPX aka BA5000 MAF.

Back