Tuning soluttions, SCT, DS, which one? My review

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Having used both, each has its own advantage and disadvantage. I'm not saying either one is better, they do not do exactly the same thing.

Both will do the same job when calibrations are created by a professional tuner. All you do is hook it up the car and program the PCM.

Diablo gives you more adjustments from the handheld unit without software. The biggest one here is MAF. On my Intune if I remember correctly, you can add/subtract up to 30% to the MAF transfer. Diablo also includes most major CAI calibrations so you don't need to pay for a CAI tune. Diablo also lets you add/subtract WOT fuel. These two options allow you to fine tune your MAF and WOT AFR. You can install a wideband guage or use datalogging and monitor the upstream oxygen sensors since they are wideband.

On my SCT X4 those options are NOT available, and I had my tuner unlock every adjustable parameter. I only have access to timing, rev limit, gear ratio, and tire revs/mile. (also available on the Diablo) So any small changes I need to make to fueling, I have to call the tuner with the SCT.

Guess I've been spoiled by the total access I've had with the TweecerRT on the fox. lol

crap, misspelled the title lol

46addict

Reaction score
How does the Tweecer work? Can I access through a laptop or is it a matter of burning chips? And are there any licensing fees like I would have to pay to get SCT PRP?

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
How does the Tweecer work? Can I access through a laptop or is it a matter of burning chips? And are there any licensing fees like I would have to pay to get SCT PRP?

Tweecer is for 87-93 fox body cars. (and quite a few others) It is hardware based, you install it on the service port of the EEC. You can read the stock bin file and edit it in the software. Then you can load it to the Tweecer via USB cable. It has 4 slots for 4 different tunes, and a 5th setting, bypass/stock tune. There are no licensing as you only have ONE Tweecer. But it does allow you to build a tune, and then purchase a much less expensive chip and burn that and replace the Tweecer.

It has its software, but since it will load a bin file, I use TunerPro software to make changes and only use the Tweecer software to load tunes and datalog.

Supports model years up to 2000~ish.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
I prefer HP Tuners, myself.
I didn't include HP as I don't have experience with it. I know it gives you full control. And I believe it does not have a handheld device. You flash the PCM direct from laptop. It also costs around $750. Which is about the same as SCT handheld + Advantage Pro racer software. Not sure if DS actually released the single user software. But the price was about the same for handheld + software.

Syked Ecu Tuning has a handheld package WITH software for $350 available for 11-13 Coyote mustangs. I bought it, but its been nothing but a headache because of my "Frankenstein" combo. I'm sure it would work just fine on a stock Coyote. The software is very similar to SCT's Advantage III, but when he finally ironed out all the bugs (Kevin is very slow) and I flashed my car with it, no crank/starter. You can actually read the PCM with it and modify that calibration. Sounded exactly what I needed, but he will be refunding my money and I'm returning the handheld. (it is a Hypertech product by the way) But I digress.....

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
My SCT- X3 was bought from VMP tuning a few yrs ago. He has it tweaked so I can adjust all sorts of stuff. Everything from timing , in specific rpm ranges, or globally ( idle to 6500 rpm). Add /subtract fuel, loads of tweaks for the auto tranny, like changing shift points for 1-2,2-3, 3-4 etc,etc. I'm surprised he unlocked so much stuff, it's actually dangerous. Some tuners will let you loose on stuff....some won't. I can also do stuff like change rev limiter rpm, set the idle rpm, and and anything else u can think of.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
My SCT- X3 was bought from VMP tuning a few yrs ago. He has it tweaked so I can adjust all sorts of stuff. Everything from timing , in specific rpm ranges, or globally ( idle to 6500 rpm). Add /subtract fuel, loads of tweaks for the auto tranny, like changing shift points for 1-2,2-3, 3-4 etc,etc. I'm surprised he unlocked so much stuff, it's actually dangerous. Some tuners will let you loose on stuff....some won't. I can also do stuff like change rev limiter rpm, set the idle rpm, and and anything else u can think of.

That is really strange. I made the last 2 changes to my tune with my tuner's Advantage III dealer edition software. And before I sent to tune to my handheld, I verified that ALL adjustable options are enabled. Yet, I have no access to fueling or MAF. It is the MAF transfer that I want perfect. What can I say, I'm very picky about how "close" my tunes are. :)

46addict

Reaction score
My tune from Lito is like this as well, and Brenspeed's tune was also the same way when I bought from them. Things like MAF transfer, o2 delay, and injector timing were not adjustable but a lot of other areas were left open. I had one tuner (not Lito) mention changing any of these parameters with the handheld can inadvertently change other areas due to a "mapping issue" with SCT. I haven't verified how true this is.

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
That is really strange. I made the last 2 changes to my tune with my tuner's Advantage III dealer edition software. And before I sent to tune to my handheld, I verified that ALL adjustable options are enabled. Yet, I have no access to fueling or MAF. It is the MAF transfer that I want perfect. What can I say, I'm very picky about how "close" my tunes are. :)

Fueling is kind of like the MAF transfer. Since either way you're adjusting the MAF transfer really. If you want it to be perfect you should be doing in the software anyway.

I use the Pro Racer as well and have been able to leave fueling adjustment open. But that was for a track night. I usually just make adjustments in the software.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Fueling is kind of like the MAF transfer. Since either way you're adjusting the MAF transfer really. If you want it to be perfect you should be doing in the software anyway.

I use the Pro Racer as well and have been able to leave fueling adjustment open. But that was for a track night. I usually just make adjustments in the software.

I don't want to be cleaning up a MAF transfer that is not dead on by adjusting fueling to get the desired AFR on the wideband.

Let me get a little more specific. I want the MAF transfer to be as accurate as possible, so my short term and long term adaptives are as close to ZERO correction as possible. Then I work with the WOT (open loop) mixture for the desired result. Now granted, most of my current experience is from getting the A9P EEC setup on the my fox body. But still, this is the way I approach my tuning.

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
I don't want to be cleaning up a MAF transfer that is not dead on by adjusting fueling to get the desired AFR on the wideband.

Let me get a little more specific. I want the MAF transfer to be as accurate as possible, so my short term and long term adaptives are as close to ZERO correction as possible. Then I work with the WOT (open loop) mixture for the desired result. Now granted, most of my current experience is from getting the A9P EEC setup on the my fox body. But still, this is the way I approach my tuning.
I understand what you're saying. You just made it sound like you wanted to be able to adjust the MAF transfer from the hand held .

I tune my car myself. So I understand wanting to get things as perfect as possible.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
I understand what you're saying. You just made it sound like you wanted to be able to adjust the MAF transfer from the hand held .

I tune my car myself. So I understand wanting to get things as perfect as possible.

In a way, yes. It would make tuning a little easier to be able to adjust the MAF from the handheld until the adaptives are inline. Then I could rewrite the tune to include the MAF adjustment. I don't carry a laptop with me, but the handheld is is always with me. ;)

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back