Tuning tips

Brock Jobe Ambroz

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am just starting to get into the world of tuning. I plan on using the HP tuners software. My mod list is comp cams mother thumpers with phaser lock outs, borla xr-1 headers, 4.10 rear gears as of now. I have a set of AUS injection 550cc injectors to add, and nitrous. Just looking for some tips you guys might have. Thank you.

07 Boss

Reaction score
Have you ever done any tuning before? It's not like the old days where you set the dwell, timing and timing advance along with changing jets in the carb. Are you going to be tweaking an existing tune or writing one from scratch? I'm not sure that you know what it all entails these days to "tune" a car, especially the way the ecu computes things like engine load vs throttle position etc. It takes quite a bit of knowledge. Not saying you can't do it because I don't know you but I do know that not many people can. There are some good books out there but I might think about taking some kind of course on electronic tuning. That would be my tip for ya.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Learning tuning with a nitrous car is just a bad idea IMO.
Since OP said he wants to use HP tuners, he will be able to read the pcm and modify existing tune.
My advice: keep it simple at first. Set your known fixed values, like gear ratio. Too much timing, or too lean will end up damaging the engine.

Brock Jobe Ambroz

Reaction score
Have you ever done any tuning before? It's not like the old days where you set the dwell, timing and timing advance along with changing jets in the carb. Are you going to be tweaking an existing tune or writing one from scratch? I'm not sure that you know what it all entails these days to "tune" a car, especially the way the ecu computes things like engine load vs throttle position etc. It takes quite a bit of knowledge. Not saying you can't do it because I don't know you but I do know that not many people can. There are some good books out there but I might think about taking some kind of course on electronic tuning. That would be my tip for ya.
This is something I for sure plan on doing

MrBhp

Reaction score
It's not like the old days where you set the dwell, timing and timing advance along with changing jets in the carb.

Yeah, and this sucks. You can easily f' things up in a hurry. I however, would love to try my hand at it.

On someone else's car.

Who does not possess firearms.

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
I would start with the simple stuff. Don't run the nitrous and injectors until you have a handle on the current set up. You also learn a lot about your car.

nfrizell

Reaction score
HP Tuners has a lot of info. https://forum.hptuners.com/showthread.php?41164-How-to-tune-your-Mustang-using-HPTuners
I agree with others. Forget the nitrous for a while. The cam lockouts may be your friend while learning. Should simplify things.

I did not tune my car but it is tuned with HP Tuners. My tuner would not do any performance tuning until I installed a wideband o2. The plx unit outputs a narrow band signal to keep the computer in the car happy and outputs a wide band signal to the gauge and to the HP Tuners dongle. Super easy install into one of the upstream o2 bungs.
7bf94416ca1e6d43da521d03c42575b7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back