Turbo swap woes

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
Oh lordy. Sorry things aren't going well.

I'm sure Jeremy and Bobby, being the great guys they are, will chime in and troubleshoot it with you even though you bought from someone else. That's just their nature. Hopefully you can get this resolved and enjoy your car.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yeap already talked to him about helping out.

Btw there are a few turbos for sale in the classifieds right now.

Precision CEA or Borg Warner EFR is where it is at right now if you ask me. I REALLY wanna see a BW EFR in action. I love the philosophy, but I don't know how well they have put it to practice yet.

BW EFR: http://www.full-race.com/articles/borgwarner-efr-turbos.html

Precision CEA:
http://www.precisionturbo.net/

I've had 3 precision turbos on my car, the last 2 of which were CEA billet turbo's and I loved them as far as power and performance. But I struck out everytime on oil and blowby issues on them which got old so i switched to the next top performer out there right now in the aftermarket world, and my new Comp Turbo is of the oil-less flavor. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

dsmith658

forum member
Reaction score
I've had 3 precision turbos on my car, the last 2 of which were CEA billet turbo's and I loved them as far as power and performance. But I struck out everytime on oil and blowby issues on them which got old so i switched to the next top performer out there right now in the aftermarket world, and my new Comp Turbo is of the oil-less flavor. ;)

They had two shots to get this one right so I am 0-2 with comp... Jeremy has always been quick to try to help me with this problem even though he was not the vendor that sold it to me. Thanks man.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
They had two shots to get this one right so I am 0-2 with comp... Jeremy has always been quick to try to help me with this problem even though he was not the vendor that sold it to me. Thanks man.

No problem I understand how you feel completely! I will do my best to help you so its doesnt become a paperweight since your going to a new turbo.

CPRsm

forum member
Reaction score
What size is your feed ? What about the drain? Any pics of the drain? What about crank case evacuation? Does your PVC line have a one way check valve in it? I It seems odd it's done it twice. Need to find out if it's the turbo for sure or the next replacement will have problems, too. You guys both have ON3 kits right? What size is the return? I haven't had any problems yet with oil getting by my PTE's. No dog in the fight but if I can help.....

ahhhh, check you other thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
In my case I just guess its bad luck and oil pressure, others have had no issues. I even went to a -10an drain and a .045 restrictor on a -3 an feed and still had oil/smoking problems while others have had no issues.

rford426

Resident 5.0 H8R
Reaction score
I have smoking issues with my car...No one way check valve...Just a catch can with a breather...-10 return straight to the front of the pan...

CPRsm

forum member
Reaction score
^ You only need the check valve if you run a PVC.

dsmith658

forum member
Reaction score
OK I spent the rest of the afternoon pulling shit apart then sticking it back together.

I had only pulled off the piping to the intercooler and lower cold side piping and not the piping to the turbo compressor outlet. The coupler on the turbo was a little loose but not so loose it could pop all the way off.

There was no oil that i could see in my intake piping or on the outlet side of the intercooler. There was also no oil on the compressor side of the turbo.... So now I feel like a dumb-ass because this MUST be something I missed. It had to be there previously with the previous Comp install or the master power. Unless the oil stopped pouring out of the turbo and blew itself clean?

So I blew out the intercooler and cleaned the piping the best I could and put things back together tight. I am making boost now, but only a portion of it in 2nd gear-- maybe 5 pounds. 3rd and up gear sees about 7 pounds WOT (I have a new Tial wastegate, and the 8.75 lb spring just doesn't seem to be making 8.75 pounds). The master power turbo always made full boost in 2nd gear.

Question-- Can I blame the lack of boost in 1st and 2nd gear on my 4.10 gears, or would this have something to do with the turbo?

What size is your feed ? What about the drain? Any pics of the drain? What about crank case evacuation? Does your PVC line have a one way check valve in it? I It seems odd it's done it twice. Need to find out if it's the turbo for sure or the next replacement will have problems, too. You guys both have ON3 kits right? What size is the return? I haven't had any problems yet with oil getting by my PTE's. No dog in the fight but if I can help.....

dsmith658

forum member
Reaction score
I checked the intake for oil, but don't remember checking the piping behind the intercooler. This leads me to believe it was from something before this install...

My exhaust is all stock besides the On3 components.

did you check all the piping after you took off the turbo the first time for oil is there a chance it could be from that. also what is the exhaust size.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Good news!

On my old turbo with 3.55s I never made full boost in first gear. So yeah 4.10s are hurting. You will pick up power and spool with lower gears. What is the wastegate pressure source?

Last edited:

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You should have full boost in 2nd 3rd and 4th gear for sure even though the 4.10s are hurting. To be safe make sure there is no oil in the vac line going from the turbo compressor housing to the the wategate and no oil inside the wastegate.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back