What fluid does Ford use for TR3650?

NastyStang113

Made in U.S.A.
Reaction score
I've got conflicting answers about this. Tremec says Mercon III. I've been told just run ATF. I've been told ATF just not a synthetic. Different dealers have told me two different Motorcraft fluids. What's the correct Motorcraft fluid? How much? 3.0 qts? Thanks for the help guys.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
just curious... did you check the manual?

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
I know it's not quite what you asked, but a while ago I reached out to tremec directly asking about fluid for the 3650 and below is the email(s)
-------------------------------------------------------------

James,

The synchromesh will be compatible with the TR3650 transmission series. This is a thicker fluid and will help reduce gear noise. Ford took out so much insulation etc. on the new body style that I hear they are selling a tunnel patch to reduce compartment noise.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Thursday, February 14, 2008 2:07 PM
To: Jeff Chytil
Subject: Re: 2005 Ford Mustang GT

Jeff Chytil wrote:

James,

Thank you for your interest in the TREMEC brand product. The fluid in your transmission should be the DEX III ATF. If you can, remove the fill plug from the side of the transmission main case, and see what color the fluid is on the inside. I will be looking forward to be hearing back from you.

I spoke with the technician who worked on my car and they did put the correct fluid in, they just billed me incorrectly on my receipt so all is ok.

One quick question though, am I correct that I can use GM Synchromesh as well to quiet the transmission down? I was told this a year ago by one of your technicians but I forgot to purchase it for this change...

Thanks.

partsbill

forum member
Reaction score
from Fords Shop Manual
SECTION 308-03B: Manual Transaxle/Transmission — TR3650

MERCON® V Automatic Transmission Fluid
part# XT-5-QM
Fill Capacity 3.0L (6.3 pt)

Make sure the fluid is 12.7 mm (0.5 in) below the fill opening for the correct fluid level. Using a tie strap, measure an inch from the end and bend it at a 90-degree angle, place it in the fill opening and check the fluid. Adjust the fluid level as necessary.

Ken04

gm troll basher
Reaction score
I've got conflicting answers about this. Tremec says Mercon III. I've been told just run ATF. I've been told ATF just not a synthetic. Different dealers have told me two different Motorcraft fluids. What's the correct Motorcraft fluid? How much? 3.0 qts? Thanks for the help guys.

interesting someone said not to use synthetic, yet the GM syncromesh is partially synthetic.

Natural1

all around duguder
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Buy the stuff in the dusty, black bottle, on the bottom shelf, that doesn't have an "F" on it and you have a winner.

:highfive:

Your manual transmission has wet clutches in it, known as blocker (or blocking) rings. These require that the transmission fluid provide enough lubricity for the bearings and geartrain, but allow enough friction for the blocker ring to synchronize gear speed. I could get into dynamic friction coefficients, but I won't. To keep it basic, blocker rings look like cones with automatic transmission friction material in them. They speed up the next gear by applying to a steel cone that is attached to the gear, lining up and coupling a "slider" to splines on the gear. Anything too slick and you run the risk of not properly synchronizing gear speed, and causing premature wear to the gear, slider, and blocker rings.

Last edited:

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
I've been running Royal Purple Synchromax in mine for around 45k miles. I had it put in at 70k miles when I had to replace my stock gears in the rear. With 115k miles on my trans, it's still working like a champ.

Natural1

all around duguder
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I've been running Royal Purple Synchromax in mine for around 45k miles. I had it put in at 70k miles when I had to replace my stock gears in the rear. With 115k miles on my trans, it's still working like a champ.

I'm not saying you are wrong, that is just how it works. I change mine every 20K and I always have. I have no problem changing the engine oil every 3-4K at $100 a pop, so why not? Not to mention, I have seen first hand, the difference between a transmission that has the fluid serviced regularly and one the follows manufacturer's recommendations. This is especially true in automatics. If you are running an auto (hard) and not changing your fluid regularly, you are asking for trouble. Small particulate wrecks havok on piston seals.

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
I just had it changed recently as well when I had the input shaft changed to a 26 spline. This is a manual, not an auto so I don't think it kills the fluid anywhere near as bad as an auto trans will.

NastyStang113

Made in U.S.A.
Reaction score
I've used RP Syncromesh and it was good for a couple months and than I started experiencing problems. I tried Amsoil ATF, once again good for a couple months and than started having problems. I just don't understand why Ford specs Mercon V but Tremec says Mercon III.

just curious... did you check the manual?

I would if I was remotely close to it.

alloy6ix

Wiener Dog Racer
Reaction score
I've used RP Syncromesh and it was good for a couple months and than I started experiencing problems. I tried Amsoil ATF, once again good for a couple months and than started having problems. I just don't understand why Ford specs Mercon V but Tremec says Mercon III.

I would if I was remotely close to it.

What kind of problems, just curious.

Natural1

all around duguder
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
This is a manual, not an auto so I don't think it kills the fluid anywhere near as bad as an auto trans will.

I know what it is.

*puts face in palm*

I was just adding that anyone who has an auto and are following the factory's 60k-100k bull, is asking for trouble. I would change it much earlier.

:thumb2:

Last edited:

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm not saying you are wrong, that is just how it works. I change mine every 20K and I always have. I have no problem changing the engine oil every 3-4K at $100 a pop, so why not? Not to mention, I have seen first hand, the difference between a transmission that has the fluid serviced regularly and one the follows manufacturer's recommendations. This is especially true in automatics. If you are running an auto (hard) and not changing your fluid regularly, you are asking for trouble. Small particulate wrecks havok on piston seals.

I'm agree with regularly changing the trans oil. I just need to find out what is recomended for a T56. I think I'm running RP ATP right now and it seems to be working. If I can though I may changs to the AMSOIL ATP if it is compatable.

partsbill

forum member
Reaction score
Mercon III has been discontinued and replaced by Mercon V from ford,
you can put Mercon V in transmissions that call for Mercon III, but you
can't put Mercon III in applications that call for Mercon V.

Natural1

all around duguder
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Your manual transmission has wet clutches in it, known as blocker (or blocking) rings. These require that the transmission fluid provide enough lubricity for the bearings and geartrain, but allow enough friction for the blocker ring to synchronize gear speed.

There have been no signficant, technological advancements in the transmission itself, since Ford recommended the Mercon III fluid in the T5. I would only run what the manufacturer suggests (Mercon V) for warranty purposes. If this is not an issue, then I would still run Mercon V in the transmission.

:2cents:

Last edited:

partsbill

forum member
Reaction score
the T56 which has been replaced by the T6060 that is in the GT500 also requires the Mercon V per Ford.

SECTION 308-03C: Manual Transaxle/Transmission — TR6060
MERCON® V Automatic Transmission Fluid
XT-5-QM
Fill Capacity 3.46L (3.65) qt

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back