What seats are you running?

knownukes

forum member
Reaction score
For those that are using the stock seats, do you have any pictures of a harness installed with them? Where do you run the top two straps of the harness since there aren't "holes" in the seat?

I'm thinking about a 4-point harness for autocross to plant me in the seat better, but I really like my stock seats for daily driving (especially with the heat in them).

Yes, I know I'm a wimp. :whistling:

I run a 4 point with my stock seat in HPDE's. I regret it and plan on going to a race seat or getting my seat bottom upholstered with a slot for a sub belt. The problem is that when youreally tighten the shoulder belts the latch moves up some. It gets a little worse while out on the track. I think the sub belt would make a huge difference.

So my question to all is how did you mount the sub belts. The reason I went with a 4 point is because I didn't want to weld in a mounting point. Is there any way to mount a sub belt w/o welding?

Thnx

BJ

knownukes

forum member
Reaction score
Question for y'all with kirkey seats.
Does the seat just come bare metal and u have to pay extra for the seat cover or does the seat come with the seat cover??
I put one in my 911 racecar 12 yrs ago(loved it) and you had to pay for the cover. I've seen people run them w/o the cover.

BJ

frank s

at Play
Reaction score
When "four-point" harness is mentioned, what are the four points?

WRT the shoulder harness pulling the lap belt out of position: I solved that in stock-seated "racing" cars by using a lap belt with leg straps built in. They are still available, and have straps anchored to the lap belt at or near the lap-belt chassis mounting position. The leg straps buckled to the lap strap hardware same as a submarine strap. Worked good in an MGB and a couple of (go ahead, laugh) Chevy Vega road-racers.

I never tested the protection they afforded, and intellectually it seemed they might not work as well as true sub-straps, given what sub-straps are expected to do. I reinforced the anti-sub aspects of the seats by mounting a crossbar across the seats between butt-spot and knee-spot, beneath the seats. I figured the downward pressures engendered by shoulder harnesses under front-on crash stress would push my tailbone down behind the crossbar, reducing the likelihood of submarining.

As I say, never tested in action, but satisfied the SCCA tech inspectors and eased my mind some.

Here's where the SCCA specs seem to allow using common anchor-points for the lap and leg straps (emphasis mine):
9.3.18. DRIVER’S RESTRAINT SYSTEM All drivers in SCCA sanctioned speed events shall utilize either a five, six or seven point restraint harness meeting the following specifications. A seven-point restraint harness is recommended. Arm restraints are required on all open cars including open Targa tops, sunroofs and T-tops. The restraint system installation is subject to approval of the Chief Technical and Safety Inspector.

A. A five point system, for use in automobiles where the driver is seated in an upright position, consists of a three (3) inch seat belt, an approximately three (3) inch strap over the shoulder type of shoulder harness, and an approximately two (2) inch anti submarine strap. A Five-point harness is considered a minimum restraint system. Six or seven-point systems are highly recommended in all cars including automobiles where the driver is seated in an upright position.

B. A six or seven point system, recommended for use in all automobiles, consists of a three (3) inch seat belt or an FIA approved two (2) inch seat belt (SFI 2-inch seat belts are not currently allowed), approximately a three (3) inch strap over the shoulder type of shoulder harness, and two approximately two (2) inch leg or anti submarine straps. The seven-point system also has an approximately two (2) inch anti-submarine strap.

C. The material of all straps shall be Nylon or Dacron polyester and in new or perfect condition. The buckles shall be of metal to metal quick release type except in the case of leg straps of the six point or seven-point systems where they attach to the seat belt or shoulder harness straps.

D. The shoulder harness shall be the over the shoulder type. There shall be a single release common to the seat belt and shoulder harness. When mounting belts and harnesses it is recommended that they be kept as short as reasonably possible to minimize stretch when loaded in an accident. The shoulder harness shall be mounted behind the driver and supported above a line drawn downward from the shoulder point at an angle of twenty (20) degrees with the horizontal. The seat itself, or anything added only to the seat shall not be considered a suitable guide. Guides must be a part of the roll cage or a part of the car structure. Only separate shoulder straps are permitted. (“Y” type shoulder straps are not allowed.) “H” type configuration is allowed.

E. The single anti submarine strap of the five point system shall be attached to the floor structure and have a metal to metal connection with the single release common to the seat belt and shoulder harness.

F. The double leg straps of the six point or seven-point system may be attached to the floor as above for the five point system or be attached to the seat belt so that the driver sits on them, passing them up between his or her legs and attaching either to the single release common to the seat belt and shoulder harness or attaching to the shoulder harness straps. It is also permissible for the leg straps to be secured at a point common to the seat belt attachment to the structure, passing under the driver and up between his or her legs to the seat belt release or shoulder harness straps. All straps shall be free to run through intermediate loops or clamps/buckles.

G. Each seat (lap) and shoulder belt of the harness (5, 6, or 7 points) shall have an individual mounting point (i.e. 2 for seat belt and 2 for shoulder belt minimum). Six or seven point system anti-submarine straps may share a mounting point with one or both seat (lap) belt(s). The minimum acceptable bolts used in the mounting of all belts and harnesses is SAE Grade 5. Where possible, seat belt, shoulder harness, and anti submarine strap(s) should be mounted to the roll structure or frame of the car. Where this is not possible, large diameter mounting washers or equivalent should be used to spread the load. Bolting through aluminum floor panels, etc., is not acceptable.

H. All driver restraint systems shall meet one of the following: SFI specification 16.1, FIA specification 8853/1985 including amendment 1/92 or FIA specifications 8853/98 and 8854/98.
1. Restraint systems meeting SFI 16.1 shall bear a dated ‘SFI Spec 16.1’ label. The certification indicated by this label shall expire on December 31st of the 2nd year after the date of manufacture as indicated by the label.
2. Restraint systems complying with FIA specification 8853/1985 including amendment 1/92 shall be no more than five (5) years old. (Not all manufacturers are dating every belt in a set. They may be dating one of a pair of shoulder or lap belts or may only be dating one belt in an entire set. Scrutineers are reminded that restraint systems need only one date label.)
3. Restraint systems homologated to FIA specifications 8853/98 and 8854/98 will not have a date of manufacture label. Instead they will have a label containing the Manufacturer’s Name, Type of Harness Designation and Date of Expiration which is the last day of the year marked. All straps in this FIA restraint system will have these labels. FIA restraint systems with the certification ‘D ####.T/98’ are equal to FIA specifications 8853/98 and 8854/98, and are therefore, acceptable restraint systems. FIA two-inch seat belts with the certification 8853/98 are acceptable restraint systems when used in conjunction with their corresponding FIA shoulder harness and anti-submarine straps.
4. If a restraint system has more than one type of certification label, the label with the latest expiration may be used.

I. Harness Threading: Assemble in accordance with manufacturers instructions.

J. FIA certified 2-inch shoulder harnesses are allowed when the HANS® device is used by the driver. SFI 2-inch shoulder harnesses are not currently allowed. Should the driver, at anytime not utilize the HANS® device, then 3-inch shoulder harnesses are required. The replacement cycle for the 2-inch harnesses shall be per Section 9.3.18.H.

Wicked GT

OCD with ADD...
Reaction score
Two on the floor (either side of the seats) and two over your shoulders. The 5-point just adds one between your legs.

Airborne2000

forum member
Reaction score
WOW, i want the ford racing seats!!! thats what i have wanted for a long time. im guessing they will fit 05-09, maybe will a little work?

Airborne2000

forum member
Reaction score
I hope. i really hope they are not one of the items get the released date pushed back to 5 years from now. my fingers are crossed for dec time frame and under $1200/ set

Mr. Q

forum member
Reaction score
Question for y'all with kirkey seats.
Does the seat just come bare metal and u have to pay extra for the seat cover or does the seat come with the seat cover??

you have to pay for both...so if you order the kirkey intermediate road race seat = $250-ish, if you want the seat cover for it = $150-ish

edit: that's still super cheap! decent sparco seats go for 700+!

Last edited:

foolio2k4

forum member
Reaction score
those kirkey seats look......idk shoddy.

Those things would never pass FIA certification rofl.

Theres a reason why all racing series use sparco, recaro, omp, or cobra.

Red06GT

forum member
Reaction score
I have the Recaro Speed seat with the sub belt slot. At some point I'll be adding a roll bar and 5/6 point harness but for now it works great with the stock belt and CG-lock.

Airborne2000

forum member
Reaction score
POW...
02-2012-boss-302-in-detail.jpg

Sleeper_08

forum member
Reaction score

I see a little AIRBAG sticker on the side so does that mean it will plug into my 08 wiring harness and everything will work fine?

If so then a set of these are on my wish list - assuming my posterior fits.

Mr. Q

forum member
Reaction score
those kirkey seats look......idk shoddy.

Those things would never pass FIA certification rofl.

Theres a reason why all racing series use sparco, recaro, omp, or cobra.

what racing series do we need fia certification....at the amateur level? i think kirkey is a great option for nasa/hpde or autox...no?

i personally trashed my driver seat and it won't move in any direction, so i've kept a close eye on this thread. sparco, recaro, etc., nice seats, but super expensive..

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
what racing series do we need fia certification....at the amateur level? i think kirkey is a great option for nasa/hpde or autox...no?

i personally trashed my driver seat and it won't move in any direction, so i've kept a close eye on this thread. sparco, recaro, etc., nice seats, but super expensive..

Yeah, but you get what you pay for. If you slam your car into a tire wall at triple-digit speeds, would you rather be strapped into a well-engineered Sparco or a JC-Whitney special?

ArizonaGT

Road Course Member
Reaction score
I see a little AIRBAG sticker on the side so does that mean it will plug into my 08 wiring harness and everything will work fine?

If so then a set of these are on my wish list - assuming my posterior fits.
Those will be available from Ford Racing (minus the BOSS302 logo) sometime this year. They have gotten great reviews from the magazine drivers.

Track-car downsides of these seats:
Side airbags = extra weight
No anti-submarining harness hole (Irrelevant if not running rollbar + harnesses)
Not fixed-back. (Irrelevant if not running rollbar + harnesses)

Back