Whipple (and others) supercharged engine life

Born To Run

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Blowers vs stock longblock life

I have 40,000 miles on my stock longblock.
Car got boosted at 5000 miles.
I run anywhere between 12-15 psi of boost with a KB 2.6L blower.
I have made 1,120 1/4 mile passes the quickest is 10.68 @ 126 MPH
Best 60' is 1.421
I use high octane unleaded 103,104 or 109 as insurance.
My car is tuned by www.steeda.ca
My BHP is 601 & RWHP is 485.
My advice to you: use high octane fuel if you are going to get on it or race it & DON'T OVER REV IT.
I finished 4th in the NMRA Modular Muscle class this year,i am the only guy in the top 10 with a stock longblock running low 11s & high 10s.

Here is a pic from qualifying in Bowling Green KY,i was running 10.80s that weekend.

Attachments

• Kentucky 2010 Pic.jpg
    Kentucky 2010 Pic.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

stangzilla

forum member
Reaction score
Whipple HO gen 1 with stock block
449 rwhp/ 419 tq with 3.5 pulley
email VMP tune
11k miles on the motor, about 6k with the SC in almost 3 years
never tracked, all street driven, babied most of the time, but i get on it once in a while.
it still runs perfectly
i did have to do a 8 rib upgrade bc of pulley squeal, but otherwise running like a champ!

Vapour Trails

The Renaissance Man
Reaction score
Best 60' is 1.421
My advice to you: use high octane fuel if you are going to get on it or race it & DON'T OVER REV IT.
I finished 4ht in the NMRA Modular Muscle class this year,i am the only guy in the top 10 with a stock longblock running low 11s & high 10s.

Here is a pic from qualifying in Bowling Green KY,i was running 10.80s that weekend.

Dood, you're on borrowed time. All the guys that don't have a blower know this for certain.
:chairfall:

Born To Run

S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Dood, you're on borrowed time. All the guys that don't have a blower know this for certain.
:chairfall:

If i had a dollar everytime i heard that i would have thousands.You are on borrowed time,you are over the line etc etc.I am not trying to prove anything,but my racing program works.Its either made to go or made to blow.After 4+ years of racing this setup & 1000+ drag races,it seems to be just fine,when it goes it goes.I think i am in a good place with my setup & have never had a breakdown or missed a race.My car is extremly reliable & consistent.I also keep the AIT at 100F through my intercooler.
Everything mechanical is on borrowed time,either factory stock or purpose race built.
I change all fluids 3 times a year,replace plugs every other event & i don't beat up on the car,remember & its hard not to do,DON'T OVER REV IT.
The only scouts in the stands are boy scouts!

anothermustanguy

Reaction score
Best 60' is 1.421
I finished 4ht in the NMRA Modular Muscle class this year,i am the only guy in the top 10 with a stock longblock running low 11s & high 10s.

I agree high octane fuel is great insurance but the cost...35,000 miles on race fuel? Race fuel is $7.00+ /gal here. Or do you daily drive it with a different program and lower octane pump fuel?

Reaction score
the whole barrowed time thing is completely irrelevant, because if you were actully worried you wouldnt boost your stock short block to begin with , that being said im running 497 to the tire at 13-14 lbs of boost w/ a 5r and havent seen any problems and im at 10k miles on the blower 40k total, ITS ALL IN THE TUNE!!!and good maintence goes a long way. canned and or mail order bs tunes with a blower are the x factor , spend the coin and do it right. but fuel is the big factor as well , dont try to get away with stock pump and a kb bap because thats where i see a lot of mistakes. at this power level the most important thing you could have going w/ your boost is fuel and lots of it! but overall this is what they make replacment parts for, tear it up its only money!! x)

FlyByNight

Banned
Reaction score
When I bought my 07 GT They had a sonic blue one that I liked but they couldn't sell it to me. They installed a supercharger and fucked it up, brand new and smoking like a bitch. This was a Ford dealer!

FlyByNight

Banned
Reaction score
Actually now that I think about it they farmed the job out (this was back in 07) but you get the idea. You can blow the bitch on day one.

FlyByNight

Banned
Reaction score
mine blew up on the dyno after the procharger install didnt even get to drive it i believe i was at 480 hp at 10 psi
That sucks man, there's like a million videos on U-tube of the same thing happening. They say these powder rods are only safe up to about 450hp and the stock rings and pistons are a joke. I think a 125 shot of nitrous is the better way to go, this way you're not boosting the engine all the time.

Born To Run

S197 Team Member
Reaction score

I agree high octane fuel is great insurance but the cost...35,000 miles on race fuel? Race fuel is $7.00+ /gal here. Or do you daily drive it with a different program and lower octane pump fuel?

If i drive on the streets i just put pump gas 94 octane in it.But don't get on it or over rev it.I don't change the tune either.By the way 104 turbo blue unleaded up here is $13.00 - $14.00 a gallon.Pump gas 87 octane is $5.11 today at the pumps 94 octane would be $6.03 per gallon.
But hey we have free unlimited health care!

95ragtop

forum member
Reaction score
Vortech non i/c 10 psi put on at 15K, 395rwhp with long tubes and Brenspeed canned tune.
Aftercooler and delete plates installed at about 28K, 435rwhp.
Now at 30K and going to install RR 3.4 pulley, C&L manifold, and maybe an AFCO h/e when I go on leave.
Done several auto X's when non i/c, but no other track racing.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
the whole barrowed time thing is completely irrelevant, because if you were actully worried you wouldnt boost your stock short block to begin with , that being said im running 497 to the tire at 13-14 lbs of boost w/ a 5r and havent seen any problems and im at 10k miles on the blower 40k total, ITS ALL IN THE TUNE!!!and good maintence goes a long way. canned and or mail order bs tunes with a blower are the x factor , spend the coin and do it right. but fuel is the big factor as well , dont try to get away with stock pump and a kb bap because thats where i see a lot of mistakes. at this power level the most important thing you could have going w/ your boost is fuel and lots of it! but overall this is what they make replacment parts for, tear it up its only money!! x)
Who does your tuning ?

BlownAway05

still too slow
Reaction score
34k miles
prob got boosted between 15-17k miles
Whipple HO, 3.5" pulley, about 10.2 psi
stock longblock, stock catted exhaust
hundreds of passes at the track, bias ply ET Streets
have trapped just under 123 mph
dynotuned at VMP
93 pump gas, sometimes I'll throw in a gallon or 2 of leaded at the track

jmn444

Reaction score
34k miles
prob got boosted between 15-17k miles
Whipple HO, 3.5" pulley, about 10.2 psi
stock longblock, stock catted exhaust
hundreds of passes at the track, bias ply ET Streets
have trapped just under 123 mph
dynotuned at VMP
93 pump gas, sometimes I'll throw in a gallon or 2 of leaded at the track

I haven't looked at everybody's times, but yours seem pretty damn impressive for what you are running... I was under the impression 11.8 ish was all could be expected with the whipple and dr's, are the bias plys that much better or is there something else I'm missing? not to get off track, just caught my eye...

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back