'06 GT, Difficulty pumping fuel (shuts off)

N2STC

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Suddenly I am having trouble dispensing fuel into the tank. The pump thinks the car is full and clicks off. I can eventually fill it, but it's touchy and slow. I suspect the smaller air return tube is at fault. I just wonder if anyone else has repaired this and what I am in for.
Thanks!,
Stan

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
This issue has been talked about over and over. Usually you can get away with either turning the nozzle upside down or pulling it out slightly. I’ve seen where people have cleaned out the evap lines but this is one of a few “fixes”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ralfonze

Reaction score
I ran a few cans of Seafoam in the gas and the problem went away. Every once in a while it will happen just a little and I run another can of Seafoam. Good luck.

BirdMan65

Reaction score
My 06 GT did the same thing until I smelled gas, raised the rear seat and tank behind driver seat was leaking where gauge is?? Either from factory or something replaced and rachet ring wasn't latched all the way around and o ring wasn't seated fully. Undid rachet ring, cleaned groove, inserted o ring, held down top piece and inserted ratchet ring turning by hand to get under All notches and using flat bladed screwdriver pushed on all positions on top turning CW to seat agains ratchet ring stops. Took a bit as didn't want to cooperate but finally got it. Now NO problems with filling up. Don't know if this helps you, hope so. Or breather hose

Reaction score
My 05GT has been doing that forever. I hear there was a recall I don't know I just never had time to get it done. Now I just deal with it.

Kyle2115

Reaction score
I bought my 05 GT a few years ago from the original owner.
First time I filled up it cut off every second or two unless I was barely trickling the gas in.
It took FOREVER to fill up and was maddening.
Got on here and found out about turning the the pump handle upside down. As long as I do that, it fills perfectly and cuts off when full.
It's a quirk I just put up with.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I'm surprised nobody mentioned about not 'topping off' when filling up. The way I understand it is that fuel gets into the vent line soaking the evap filter, basically plugging the vent. It will eventually dry out but can take weeks. It took me a few times but I finally broke myself of the habit of topping off the tank and now I just hang up the nozzle when it shuts off the first time.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
I'm surprised nobody mentioned about not 'topping off' when filling up. The way I understand it is that fuel gets into the vent line soaking the evap filter, basically plugging the vent. It will eventually dry out but can take weeks. It took me a few times but I finally broke myself of the habit of topping off the tank and now I just hang up the nozzle when it shuts off the first time.
IE: don't overfill the tank.

N2STC

Reaction score
Good information. I guess leaving the cap off when parked might help. I stopped over filling years ago but could have done it unintentionally.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back