2013 GT/CS purchase possibly gone bad with motor issue

JJ427R

Reaction score
I've been looking at a pretty clean 2013 GT/CS with 30,000 miles at a dealer here in MN, friend and I took it for a test drive last week and I noticed what I thought was a little tick in the motor, similar to the tick everyone is complaining about in the newer 5.0.
They wanted $23k for the car, I offered $20, dealer came back at $22,250 and I came in at final of $21,500, he accepted on condition I wanted to know what the tick was coming from....

Got a call this am and they investigated and found they have to replace the bottom end of motor, $5500... He can no longer honor our agreement on the $21,5 and not sure he can even do the $22,250 he originally quoted me..... They will have the parts Friday and he will contact me when it's done.
Granted it will have a new bottom end in the 30,000 mile motor, but not sure if I'm interested at this point....

Lets open a can of worms here, what would you do in this situation???

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'd walk if they don't honor the price agreed too.

a new short block doesn't really make the car worth much more IMHO

LikeabossTM

forum member
Reaction score
I'd walk if they don't honor the price agreed too.

a new short block doesn't really make the car worth much more IMHO
I'd also walk, I assume the agreed-upon price was including a reliable engine that didn't need a new bottom end...

WJBertrand

forum member
Reaction score
I wonder if the dealer's just trying to back out of the offer? A deal's a deal right? Time to walk.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
I've been looking at a pretty clean 2013 GT/CS with 30,000 miles at a dealer here in MN, friend and I took it for a test drive last week and I noticed what I thought was a little tick in the motor, similar to the tick everyone is complaining about in the newer 5.0.
They wanted $23k for the car, I offered $20, dealer came back at $22,250 and I came in at final of $21,500, he accepted on condition I wanted to know what the tick was coming from....

Got a call this am and they investigated and found they have to replace the bottom end of motor, $5500... He can no longer honor our agreement on the $21,5 and not sure he can even do the $22,250 he originally quoted me..... They will have the parts Friday and he will contact me when it's done.
Granted it will have a new bottom end in the 30,000 mile motor, but not sure if I'm interested at this point....

Lets open a can of worms here, what would you do in this situation???

Car is beyond it's warranty, 5yr/50000
I thought it had 30k

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
At least you know why it was traded in. If I really liked the car I probably wouldn't walk yet, but I'd push the salesman to honor the original deal (or close to it).

MilehighGS

Reaction score
$22,500 and they include a bumper to bumper extended warranty.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
If the dealer isn't prepared to honor the original agreement at $21.5k, walk away. There are plenty more fish in the sea.

bujeezus

forum member
Reaction score
I'd walk.

"We took a trade-in lemon but we'll sell it to your for more than it's worth after we repair the bottom end."

Yeah, fuck that.

mrt2you

forum member
Reaction score
if you have a accepted offer in WRITING the dealer HAS to honer it or you can get a decent amount of $$$ after a lawyer visit to the courthouse.
if the accepted offer is verbal it isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

JJ427R

Reaction score
if you have a accepted offer in WRITING the dealer HAS to honer it or you can get a decent amount of $$$ after a lawyer visit to the courthouse.
if the accepted offer is verbal it isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

Price I have on paper is $22,250, which was when I did test drive, we negotiated the $21,500 a couple days later over the phone.
I've decided I'm wiping my hands clean of it and moving on, I am however glad I caused them to fix it before selling it to somebody else.
I'm waiting until I know it's fixed before I let them know I'm not interested.

Forty61

forum member
Reaction score
Price I have on paper is $22,250, which was when I did test drive, we negotiated the $21,500 a couple days later over the phone.
I've decided I'm wiping my hands clean of it and moving on, I am however glad I caused them to fix it before selling it to somebody else.
I'm waiting until I know it's fixed before I let them know I'm not interested.

Good move on your part and hopefully it helps out the next owner!

dre256

forum member
Reaction score
I also would walk, even if he put a new lower end in at original agreed price. First gen coyotes are not known for motor issues. Why is the motor bad at 30k miles!? Kind of sounds like had a blower on it, over boosted then put back to stock. Think that car will be a money pit.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
First gen coyotes are not known for motor issues.

I thought they were known to have an issue where cylinder no.8 runs too hot, causing premature exhaust valve guide wear and a ticking sound due to the valves rattling in the guides.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back