2013 GT/CS purchase possibly gone bad with motor issue

JJ427R

Reaction score
The ticking I heard I thought was in the valves, I was surprised when they told me lower end was bad. The ticking was in the top right side of motor. I watched for smoke out of the exhaust on test drive but did not see anything...

dre256

forum member
Reaction score
I thought they were known to have an issue where cylinder no.8 runs too hot, causing premature exhaust valve guide wear and a ticking sound due to the valves rattling in the guides.

From I understand, cylinder 8 issue is contained to 2011s with a certain PCM code.

1950StangJump$

forum member
Reaction score
I had one of the first 5.0s in 2011 . . . and I had the motor tick from brand new. Never abused, not modified. So, a tick in this car is necessarily indicative of the car being modified, though I would certainly be weary. But, with a new engine going in, I might attempt to negotiate a new aftermarket clutch into the deal while the motor is out . . . one that could handle power later if I chose to go that route.

BTW, in my case, I had to sue Ford to get it fixed. They ended up having to pay me off AND I got a new engine out of it.

07 Boss

Reaction score
IMO you ought to get the car for less now. Major engine repair on the carfax. Doesn’t that lower the value?

JJ427R

Reaction score
I had one of the first 5.0s in 2011 . . . and I had the motor tick from brand new. Never abused, not modified. So, a tick in this car is necessarily indicative of the car being modified, though I would certainly be weary. But, with a new engine going in, I might attempt to negotiate a new aftermarket clutch into the deal while the motor is out . . . one that could handle power later if I chose to go that route.

BTW, in my case, I had to sue Ford to get it fixed. They ended up having to pay me off AND I got a new engine out of it.
Car has an automatic so no clutch.

IMO you ought to get the car for less now. Major engine repair on the carfax. Doesn’t that lower the value?
Not according to the dealer, like I stated previously he would not honor the $21,500 we agreed on. They still have the car listed for $22,999 on autotrader.

Also not all repairs show up on car fax, If you rebuild an engine yourself or say change a transmission, that's not on Carfax....
a good video here explains quite well why to get a used car checked by a tech before buying and what does not show up on Carfax. Guy who did video had 3 accidents with a Jeep and only one was listed on Carfax.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
I'm thinking they mid-diagnosed the noise.
This is the first I've heard of a Coyote needing a short block because of a tick.
Between that and simply the fact that there's thousands of automatic Coyotes for sale out there, I would walk away and forget that dealership exists.

JJ427R

Reaction score
I've moved on from it and looking at others, correct in fact I won't ever go back to that dealership.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
I've moved on from it and looking at others, correct in fact I won't ever go back to that dealership.

Good.

I've seen "the tick" be diagnosed as coming from the AC compressor, there was a TSB at one point to install a belt tensioner kit for the AC belt, which normally doesn't have one. To replace the AC compressor belt you have to cut it off and Ford has a special tool to install the new one if the tensioner isn't there.

I've never heard the tick in mine. I had the Whipple kit installed at about 20k miles and it comes with a belt tensioner for that belt.

I've also been using Amsoil oil in my car since its first oil change, and I'm a firm believer that a high quality oil can do wonders.

I've had oil consumption issues disappear in a previous car when switching to a high quality synthetic, and in the Mustang like I said I've never heard noises that many others hear and complain about.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Not sure if you saw this video I posted on the different tick noises, found this informative...

https://www.s197forum.com/threads/2018-19-engine-tick-concerns.135850/

That seems to be only about '18-'19 engines, and I've seen a few '18-'19 cars get new intake manifolds for a tick noise, and sometimes the noise returned.
I'm not so sure it's not a normal characteristic of the new '18+ DI engine ....
People used to complain about ticking noise on some fuel-injected engines, turns out it was the injectors doing their thing.... they're electric solenoids after all. These days we have all kinds of acoustic engine covers, and part of their job is to hide noises which are normal to the engine's operation.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'd totally walk away. Tons of those cars out there. If it had a wounded bottom end with 30K on it, what else was done to it? Maybe it had nitrous pounded through it. Maybe it had a blower. Maybe it was just beaten on.

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
Op if you have the budget Id recommend a 15-17 gt. I love my 07 gt and I was looking for a 13-14 gt then ended up getting a 17 gt and absolutely love it. Mine is a base gt with the mt82 and performance package and couldnt be happier. It has some frills the premium models have with some performance upgrades like brembos, 3.73s and oil and vacuum gauges built into the dash. And imo the interior is more comfortable than an s197.

Just my 2 cents.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back