2014 Mustang GT Mods

Stanger77

Reaction score
Taking the car to get Dyno Tuned at the end of the month. Going to be staying N/A and it is my DD. I don’t Track or Race, but do spirited runs when needed, if the opportunity arises or just to hear the pops from the exhaust. Not looking to crack the engine, but just for bolt-ons. These are what I’ve come up with;

Steeda CAI: I have full exhaust done, so thinking it might be worth it?

Gears: - owned 00 Mustang GT swapped to 3:73, then to 4:10
- owned 06 Mustang GT swapped to 4:10

??????

2014 Mustang GT
3:55 - 6MT
SCT X4
BBK LTH
BBK O/R X-Pipe
MBRP Axle-back

J.Kidd

forum member
Reaction score
I've seen (based on my research) and felt gains with CAI and tune...specifically Steeda 101 CAI. Having done full exhaust, CAI and adjusted tune would be your next easiest bet. You can do some research on this and decide for yourself.

Your next option would be swapping the intake - not quite "cracking in to the motor" but more involved than a CAI but much less so than swapping cams or heads. Other than that, you are pretty much done. I was looking pretty hard at a 2018+ intake swap. The Boss intake is another good option but puts the power even higher up in the RPMs. Again, do some research here to find out where the gains are actually coming on. Then, there is always nitrous. ;)

With your 3.55's, I doubt you'd feel much difference going to 3.73's so if you want to swap gears, I'd start looking at 4.10's.

Not entirely sure what you are after (how much power do you want to add...how much quicker you want the car to be). There are always suspension bits to play with to get it to handle or hook better.

Good luck!

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Guessing first item on your list is the check engine light from the offroad pipe.

Just so you know, there is very little power to be gained (if any at all) please post before and after hp numbers as I am curious about the LTH gains over stock shorty headers.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Going to 3.73's from 3.55's is enough to clearly feel the difference right after you make the change. It's like the car has a little more 'sparkle' in its throttle response without being brutally quicker.

Norm

J.Kidd

forum member
Reaction score
IIRC, the CAI/tune combo was close to about a 30+ hp gain. I think I remember someone doing a dyno run with a stock baseline, adding a tune, and then adding a tune and CAI. The tune was good for about 20+ hp over stock and then the addition of the CAI and adjusted tune resulted in another 10+ hp on top of that for a total of 30+ hp gain. So sure, most of the gain (2/3) is from the tune. But, is it worth the expense for the extra 10 or so horsepower? It was for me. Maybe not for others. OP has to make the call for himself.

As far as the gears: Norm - I hear what you are saying. It's like putting in a fresh set of plugs on my '92 5.0L. I can feel the difference right after they go in (just like you describe), but within a week or two, I'm used to it. However, swapping to the 4.10's, I believe, would feel like adding another 40-50 hp and would keep a smile on my face a lot longer (for the investment of swapping gears, anyway). That being said, I am pretty happy with my 3.73's and unless I added drag slicks, for me, the 4.10's would make first gear almost useless on the street with the shorter first gear of the MT82 (3.66 vs. 3.37/3.38 in the transmissions he previously had). So, back to the "is it worth it" question: 3.73's for a snappier throttle response or 4.10's for a slightly different animal. OP has to make the call on that.

crjackson

Reaction score
Ported 2018 intake manifold, ported TB, custom tune (live tune, not mail ordered).

Last edited:

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
2014 Mustang GT
3:55 - 6MT
SCT X4
BBK LTH
BBK O/R X-Pipe
MBRP Axle-back

Here's my take on it.
A CAI will add very little performance wise, and some have inadequate heat shielding thus behaving more like a hot air intake. It does make good underhood eye candy though, and the intake roar when you stomp on the gas can be intoxicating. Those alone may be good enough reasons to add a CAI but that's up to you.
A ported 2018 intake manifold is a good upgrade but nearly all of the extra power comes from 6500rpm upwards. A revised tune e.g. Lund Racing with the rev limiter raised to 7500rpm will allow you to take full advantage of the extra top end power. With that higher rev limit, you could swap in higher ratio axle gears e.g. 3.73.

Last edited:

JFiler21

Reaction score
When I was N/A my daily setup was.
Steeda cold air
OEM Boss H-pipe (side dumps)
3.31 gears
Roush axle backs
AED dyno tune
91 oct
407whp.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back