3.7 Eco-Boost & Direct Injection

maddog05

Reaction score
There are many very knowledgable people on here. I need a clairification: Ford marketing literature says the 3.7 V6 has direct injection like modern deisels. Does it? It seems from thr engine schematics that it has sequential direct port injection which is a far different thing since the advantages of direct injection are incresed mileage, more power and a cleaner burn.

RedMustang

forum member
Reaction score
one of my friends went to a class to learn to work on the new ford 6.7L diesel. the engineer there told him that there are ecoboost 5.0 V8 test mules out on the street right now.

who else needs some lotion :boobies:

this thing will rock

r.barn

forum member
Reaction score
There are many very knowledgable people on here. I need a clairification: Ford marketing literature says the 3.7 V6 has direct injection like modern deisels. Does it? It seems from thr engine schematics that it has sequential direct port injection which is a far different thing since the advantages of direct injection are incresed mileage, more power and a cleaner burn.

Yes, they are true direct injection engines and should be on the V8's in another couple of years.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
As a comparison the 6.2L produces 405 ft-lb of torque at 4,500 RPM. I also believe the two different motors have the same rated towing capacity.

F-150 Eco-Boost 3.5 max towing = 11,300 lbs.
F-250 6.2 max towing = 15,000 lbs.

05yellowgt

Reaction score
F-150 Eco-Boost 3.5 max towing = 11,300 lbs.
F-250 6.2 max towing = 15,000 lbs.

Ford is only going to rate the f150 towing capacity just as high as they need to to keep lead the "half ton" market. They risk putting the f150 in competition with the f250 otherwise. I'm sure that the 3.5 in an f250 could easily be rated at 12,000+

Sent from my Thunderbolt via Tapatalk

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
in the f150 they are rated at the same tow capacity

both tow 11,300 lbs with the tow package

Yup. Missed that 6.2 in the F-150.

I suspect the F-150 chassis is nearing it's limits in ability also.

Last edited:

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
double post.

Last edited:

fhlh

Grabber? Don't Know Her!
Reaction score
Ford is smart not to offer the Eco-Boost in the Mustang... it'd make allot of 5.0 owners cry.
All you need to know is how it performs compared to the 5.0 in the Heavy f-150....
:popcorneat:
I recently read that Ford has been able to make an "easy" 500 hp with a 3.5 Eco-Boost engine in testing.

It got me thinking that if the 3.7 were Eco-Boosted and had GDI added to it Ford could easily and reliably make as much hp (or maybe more) and likely a far more usable torque curve than the new 5.0 makes while still having the same rev range.

Of course with an equal amount of torque about 2000 rpm sooner the need for high rpm's is called into question.

If this is true... AWESOME. Makes think the 2013 GT500 might have this :)

one of my friends went to a class to learn to work on the new ford 6.7L diesel. the engineer there told him that there are ecoboost 5.0 V8 test mules out on the street right now.

Last edited:

fhlh

Grabber? Don't Know Her!
Reaction score
I'm guessing the speed at which the 5.0 had to get to market.
Remember, the 400+ HP camaro returned, FORD put together the 5.0 pretty damn quickly to counter. adding Direct injection would have delayed the motor another year? just guessing here.

SilverBolt

Its "just" a sixer.
Reaction score
I can't remember the month, but last year when all the mustang mags did their special look into the new 5.0 they noted it has built in architecture for future use of direct injection. I figure ford is just waiting for gm to up the output on the ls3 or unleash the new 5.5 liter ls engine with direct injection. Then, when all the gm boys feel high and mighty, ford will bring them down to earth. D.I. should add at least 20hp and +2 MPG to the 5.0.........Just my 2 cents though.

Germeezy3

forum member
Reaction score
Yes, they are true direct injection engines and should be on the V8's in another couple of years.

The Mustangs 3.7 is port injected not direct injected, the Ecoboost engine is direct injected.

I can't remember the month, but last year when all the mustang mags did their special look into the new 5.0 they noted it has built in architecture for future use of direct injection. I figure ford is just waiting for gm to up the output on the ls3 or unleash the new 5.5 liter ls engine with direct injection. Then, when all the gm boys feel high and mighty, ford will bring them down to earth. D.I. should add at least 20hp and +2 MPG to the 5.0.........Just my 2 cents though.

They have the bosses in the cylinder heads that would only need to be drilled to accomodate direct injection. The Gen V GM V8 will still remain its 6.2 liter displacement allegedly. DI will allow more timing and the engine may pick up even more than 20 hp...FE also improves.

fhlh

Grabber? Don't Know Her!
Reaction score
de-tuned?
I'd say it's "tuned" to move a 5500lb+ pickup around. As a truck owner, I wouldn't want my torque peak at 4300 rpm :)

05yellowgt

Reaction score
The 5.0 in the truck has less compression that the Mustang variant, 10.0 or 10.5 I believe. Not sure if the cams are different or not. The 5.0 is a better motor in the F150 than the 5.4 that it replaced, but its no ecoboost IMO.

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
The 5.0 in the truck has less compression that the Mustang variant, 10.0 or 10.5 I believe. Not sure if the cams are different or not. The 5.0 is a better motor in the F150 than the 5.4 that it replaced, but its no ecoboost IMO.

I agree. Hell, I would like to see how it would compare to my 2011 F250 6.7L.

RicoStang

Reaction score
Alright. I'm not even reading all of these posts.

First off, for everyone saying that if they could get 500hp, then the SHO would... you're wrong. If the shitty EPA wasn't ruining our lives as car enthusiasts and US citizens, then all of our cars would be significantly more powerful and far less complex in their emissions. So yes, they would easily and would do it (for cheaper too) if the government wasn't involved.

Secondly, the 3.7 was designed with direct injection in mind. It has ports and spots for all of the necessary components. The 3.7 is a derivative of the 3.5 Eco Boost. If you pay close attention to specs and have seen both cut-away's in person the way I have, you'll realize that the blocks are very similar. Ford may very well use DI on the next generation. This goes for the 5.0 as well. Both motors are designed with DI in mind. Eco boost is of course possible as well if that is the case.

Hope this clears up any confusion.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back