3 valve spec ?

JPO8GT

forum member
Reaction score
1. What is the deck highth on the 3v aluminium 4.6?
2. Is valve relief the same or related to piston dish cc?
3. What is the stock head gasket compressed thickness?
doing some calculations on cr so need these to calculate.
Trying to learn some shit! Haha.
Thanks!

Last edited:

JPO8GT

forum member
Reaction score
Found one source that says deck hight of 8.933 inches and anouther that states 8.937 inches? Deck clearance of.008.
Also found a source that says the stock gasket compressed is .037.
Can anyone confirm these numbers?

Last edited:

ArtQ

forum member
Reaction score

Valve reliefs will be per piston spec. They are the reliefs cut in to the piston for valve clearance when using high lift cams.
pistons will be speced in +or- cc's. Piston dish will be in - CC's and domed piston will be +CC's. If the piston has valve reliefs they should show the -CC's in the piston spec

Last edited:

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I think this thread raises a great question. These questions seem like they should be "common knowledge" and "everybody knows this stuff". Clearly people don't.

I think a sticky thread with all the 3V specs and as much OE info cataloged for all of us to use would be useful.

This info is from Ford Racing. I don't know if any of these specs changed in 2005.

4.6L V-8
1991-20004
Bore: 3.552
Stroke: 3.5433
Bore Spacing: 3.9370
Main Journal: 2.6572
Rod Journal: 2.0863
Rod Length (center to center): 5.9331
Deck Height: 8.9370
Piston Pin Height: 1.2205

Last edited:

ArtQ

forum member
Reaction score
I think this thread raises a great question. These questions seem like they should be "common knowledge" and "everybody knows this stuff". Clearly people don't.

I think a sticky thread with all the 3V specs and as much OE info cataloged for all of us to use would be useful.

This info is from Ford Racing. I don't know if any of these specs changed in 2005.

4.6L V-8
3V
Bore: 3.552
Stroke: 3.5433
Bore Spacing: 3.9370
Main Journal: 2.6572
Rod Journal: 2.0863
Rod Length (center to center): 5.9331
Deck Height: 8.9370
Piston Pin Height (compression distance): 1.2205
Intake valve dia. 1.339
Exhaust valve dia. 1.476
Combustion chamber volume 48.1 - 51.1 CC
Cam lift EX. .436
Cam lift Int. .439

Added a few

FlyByNight

Banned
Reaction score
If a sticky is made maybe add 5.0, 5.4, and 6.2 specs along with interchange ability between 2v, 3v, and 4v heads. I've been kinda wondering if the 6.2 and 5.0 heads can be swapped.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Thanks Bruce, where did you find that?

I found that when I was deciding what cam to go with. It was discovered during two days of searching and is buried somewhere in the internet. It wasn't from an offical Ford page or anything. Sorry.

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
You can just go ahead and call me S.D. since you can't spell my given name correctly.

And no, it was not directed at anyone in particular. This information has been available all over the place for years.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
You can just go ahead and call me S.D. since you can't spell my given name correctly.

And no, it was not directed at anyone in particular. This information has been available all over the place for years.

Alright SD. As I recall I ran all the cam info I gleaned past you with a number of pm's. Thanks again for the advice. I'm pretty happy with the 127300's but now I'm going off topic and will leave it at that.

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
The 3V cam specs have been on Crower's site for a while. Funny thing is....sometimes it shows all the specs and other times they show lift and duration at .050". Weird.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

I don't think anyone doesn't think it's all out there some place.

The thing is the bits and pieces are scattered. Some is here, some is there and some more is way over there.

Gathering all the info into a common location is helpful especially to people new to the cars. Just because you have years of exposure and knowledge as a result it doesn't mean the guy that just bought a S197 automatically knows it. I came to this website last year to learn about the car I just bought. I knew a ton about the Fox car and the SN95. Trying to find basic information was difficult. There's still info that's supposedly "out on the web" that I am having trouble finding.

I am almost positive I saw a dimensioned line drawing of the 4.6 engine block that I have been looking for all over the place for like a year now. Maybe that will show up.

2kanchoo

forum member
Reaction score
I don't think anyone doesn't think it's all out there some place.

The thing is the bits and pieces are scattered. Some is here, some is there and some more is way over there.

Gathering all the info into a common location is helpful especially to people new to the cars. Just because you have years of exposure and knowledge as a result it doesn't mean the guy that just bought a S197 automatically knows it. I came to this website last year to learn about the car I just bought. I knew a ton about the Fox car and the SN95. Trying to find basic information was difficult. There's still info that's supposedly "out on the web" that I am having trouble finding.

I am almost positive I saw a dimensioned line drawing of the 4.6 engine block that I have been looking for all over the place for like a year now. Maybe that will show up.
Not to mention the fact that lots of "known" internet information isn't correct either.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back