3v Cam Data Thread

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Talking about a 550+rwhp blown 4.6-5.0 3v setup here and “performance” cams. Hot Rod cams and the like aren’t the target of this thread.

So just recently I got some surprising data on the Comp 127350 cams I am currently running. They are not nearly as effective as you think they would be or should be. Yes, they make more power than the stock cams after 5,600rpm. But not much and they are down a TON of power through the midrange. I’ve seen the same trend with the same cams on three different cars.

After talking to a lot of people that should be in the know I haven’t gotten much data on camming 3v’s. It doesn’t seem like anyone (or at least anyone I have talked to) has a real handle on the 3v’s. And in Comps case it sounds a lot like they just threw some numbers at the wall and called it done.

I don’t see how you can’t get a cam as mild as the 127300/127350 to work almost as well as the stock cams through the mid range and then take off up top. I think something is missing from the puzzle and I am hoping with enough data that collectively maybe we can get some better conclusions. In the old days someone would have done a cam shootout in a magazine a long time ago. But tech articles are few and far between these days and apparently it is up to the guys on the ground to prove/dis-prove manufacturer claims.

So if you are running 550+rwhp with a blower on your 3v would you be so kind as to post up your dyno graph and provide a list of your setup (kind of blower, cams used, locked or not locked, boost, etc)? I am hoping that if I can collect enough information maybe I can draw some conclusions on what works when and why.

If you have copies of your dyno runs in “table” form (not the graph) that would save me a ton of time.

I’m looking for dyno info that has torque, HP, RPM’s. Once/if I figure something out I will post all the data I have collected and any conclusions I can come up with.

Thanks!

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
The graphs on the 127550 cams are in a 3v 302 stroker motor with a Procharger F1a and the VCT locked with a 4r70w trans and a 3800 stall that acually flashes a little higher. The custom grinds are on the same motor with 5r55s trans with a PI 3500 stall.

Comp 127550 cams at 20 psi.

RaceGas-BestRun.jpg

Comp 127550 cams at 16 psi on a wastegate with same pulley as above.

PumpGas-BestTune.jpg

Comp custom grind cams. On two different dynos in two different states. I will check to see if I have a better pic of the second one.

Billy713STD.jpg

20psiRace.jpg

Last edited:

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
The 127350 cams don't work as well as 127550 in most supercharger applications. I'm running 127400 cams with a centri. 112lsa, .523/.538, 221/228 @ .050" with a 102 intake and 122 exhaust centerline. I've run 127300 cams with a whipple and believe they are a better mild cam for a twin screw than the 350.

These are with a procharger that makes 19 psi at 7000 rpm on e85 with 21 degrees of spark advance on the top end. I have flat top pistons, frpp cnc heads, 127400 cams, jba shorty headers, stock cats. I'm sure the stock cats are hurting me but I just passed emissions and will have to in the future so they stay. This motor combo calculates out to 10.76:1 compression.

Note that the Mustang numbers went out to 7k and the Dynojet went out to 6300.

IMO you really need SCT Advantage 3 with calibrator status in order to get the full potential of cams. I've done alot of experimentation with airflows and cam retard. IMO locking out the phasers costs hp and fuel economy but if you are making the kind of power you are then it's no big deal.

PM inbound with some more data.

Last edited:

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
The more I look at this graph, the more I think I should keep the cams for some testing with the current setup that I have with the 127550s!

I just thought about it and the JPC intake and 12 rib setup was added with the 127550s as well.

What do you think?

Billy713STD.jpg

Last edited:

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
You already have the cams so the investment will be minimal. You will probably lose the cool lope though. How much difference will the reduced valve lift make? I doubt it will matter much because of forced induction and how little cfm gain there is between .500 and .550.

The 550 cams would be super easy to sell.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
You already have the cams so the investment will be minimal. You will probably lose the cool lope though. How much difference will the reduced valve lift make? I doubt it will matter much because of forced induction and how little cfm gain there is between .500 and .550.

The 550 cams would be super easy to sell.

Kind of what I was thinking. And I would have my vac. back. As for the lope, I don't care if I sound cool. I just want to go fast cool! It all sounds the same when my foot is on the floor.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
The graphs on the 127550 cams are in a 3v 302 stroker motor with a Procharger F1a and the VCT locked with a 4r70w trans and a 3800 stall that acually flashes a little higher. The custom grinds are on the same motor with 5r55s trans with a PI 3500 stall.

Comp 127550 cams at 20 psi.

RaceGas-BestRun.jpg

Comp custom grind cams. On two different dynos in two different states. I will check to see if I have a better pic of the second one.

Billy713STD.jpg

So if I am looking at this right the 550's made damn near 100hp more than the custom grind ones? Am I missing any other changes?

Thanks!:clap:

muztangman93

forum member
Reaction score
From what Ive read on the 550 cams they make a ton more power. I have them and they dont seem that lopey to me but pull really hard

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
100hp from the JPC intake?!!

Do you have any info on before and after 550 stuff? Straight cam comparisons?

Are you running your 550's locked? Full retard?

What springs are you running?

Thanks

No, Jpc intake and cams.

I also did the 5r to 4r swap at the same time. The 5r was lock up converter and the 4r is non lock up.

The 550,s are locked full advanced.

I am running Comp 26125 springs.

I did loose some low end with this setup but with a 3800 it get right up into power.

And no strait comparison on the cam swap. That's why I said earlier it would be nice to swap and test.

muztangman93

forum member
Reaction score
I think Marcs stated in another post he gained like 49rwhp over the other cams he had when swapping to the 127550s

Wicked97

forum member
Reaction score
You will get better RPM out of the Cams retarded instead of advanced.

Our intake will really help with the Higher RPMs

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
The 550,s are locked full advanced.
I have never seen anyone set them up full advance. Are you sure you don't have the terminology flipped in your head?

Retarded cam timing=more top end

Advanced cam timing=more bottom end

I'm not even sure the pistons would clear the valves at full advance???

You will get better RPM out of the Cams retarded instead of advanced.
I think he has them retarded

What do you mean by "better"rpm?
Retarding the cam timing moves the curve to the right of the dyno graph.

I may pop a set of 550's in.......need more power!

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
Hopefully I won't get flamed but BBR. They were the only quickly available ones when I built my first engine.

It's all a matter of the position of the cam gear sprocket when they are installed but I'm sure you know that. When my current engine was built we checked the cam timing and it was within one degree of comp's recommended so no changes were made. I think it all has to do with how the cam has been ground and my 127300's seemed to work fine at full advance.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
I have never seen anyone set them up full advance. Are you sure you don't have the terminology flipped in your head?

Retarded cam timing=more top end

Advanced cam timing=more bottom end

I'm not even sure the pistons would clear the valves at full advance???

I think he has them retarded

Retarding the cam timing moves the curve to the right of the dyno graph.

I may pop a set of 550's in.......need more power!

Advanced. Here is a pic of the PS cam and lock out. It is a bad pic so I will see if I can find a better one but take a look.

0686ac85-89f0-4227-ac3a-b9a409490b2d_zps5c8f6047.jpg

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back