3v mustang boost options

jacobkerner

Reaction score
I have a 2006 3v. I’m wondering what the cheapest supercharger/turbo kit is. I’m willing to install myself, and I don’t need to be making 500 hp, I’d settle for almost anything over 400 if it is cost effective. I’ve already looked into going fbo and n/a but now I want to see my options for boost. Don’t really have a budget, just as cheap as possible

MrAwesome987

forum member
Reaction score
I have a 2006 3v. I’m wondering what the cheapest supercharger/turbo kit is. I’m willing to install myself, and I don’t need to be making 500 hp, I’d settle for almost anything over 400 if it is cost effective. I’ve already looked into going fbo and n/a but now I want to see my options for boost. Don’t really have a budget, just as cheap as possible
Your cheapest option is probably going to be someone's take off M90 setup. Next to that, pretty much any option is going to cost around 5k+.

MrBhp

Reaction score
If the On3 turbo kits are available, that would get you there. Base kit is $1950. Supporting mods could cost another 1k. If you go that route, or any route producing decent numbers, you should upgrade the fuel system. S&H on this forum has a top notch set up. @JeremyH

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
moved... not tech here. please read the posting rules

what's that saying... you can have cheap, good, and reliable... just not all at the same time...

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score

FBO and N/A with stock heads/cams/intake manifold will get you as far as ~330rwhp.
Over 400rwhp definitely requires forced induction but when it comes to power adders, cheap and reliable don't go in the same sentence. Since cost effectiveness is what you're looking for, I'd suggest the Department of Boost GT450 kit:

https://www.departmentofboost.com/product/450-450hp/

DieHarder

Reaction score
Contact Jason at DOB. When folks upgrade he sometimes ends up buying back some of the early model manifolds and supporting parts. They're still good and you may be able to cut a deal for significantly less than he retails new kits for. Straight forward/easy install. I took my time over a week and very impressed with fit, finish and reliability. Then you'll want a tune by Lito.

IMG-1490.jpg

MrAwesome987

forum member
Reaction score
What DieHarder suggested is a good idea, but I bet you'll still end up around 5k all said and done for a DOB setup. Fyi.

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
How good is your mechanical ability? Used kits pop up on buy & sell sites but often require a bit more skill than an out of the box kit.

A non intercooled vortech kit starts at around $4K and if you are resourceful, you can put together a fuel system, get a used tuner and be up and running for another 1K. A water/meth kit can get your charge temps back in check-or spend a bit more on your fuel setup and run E85-if available in your area and run it without a charge cooler.

jacobkerner

Reaction score
How good is your mechanical ability? Used kits pop up on buy & sell sites but often require a bit more skill than an out of the box kit.

A non intercooled vortech kit starts at around $4K and if you are resourceful, you can put together a fuel system, get a used tuner and be up and running for another 1K. A water/meth kit can get your charge temps back in check-or spend a bit more on your fuel setup and run E85-if available in your area and run it without a charge cooler.

I don’t have any experience doing turbos/superchargers but I do understand how they work and I’m fairly mechanically inclined, so I believe I could figure it out, especially with the help of some buddies if needed. But yeah I’ve looked into that a bit, thanks for the input

jdlatil

Twin Srew Driver
Reaction score
Dept of Boost kit is great set up and price not bad.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
what is an F150 5.0 swap going for these days? ~500 hp, nice and light.

jdlatil

Twin Srew Driver
Reaction score
Cheap don't always save you money

Dept of Boost has quality parts and one of the most popular set ups for non build 3V engines. I have never heard one issue with DOB set up.

Perhaps I should’ve said low price instead of cheap.

jdlatil

Twin Srew Driver
Reaction score
The DOB weak point on most builds is the accessory belt/tensioner, I would expect.

why would make this statement?

Have friends with this set up and have no issues with belt or tensioner if follow simple instructions and any use the Frankenstein tensioner with no issue.

Department of Boost has few different entry levels setup all the to 1400 hp set up. Good Engineering and customer service.

Don’t think you should expect issues with belt/tensioner, unless you have personal experience!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back