4.6 3v long block built with forged rods and pistons

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Edit:

Due to the completion of this build I've started a new For Sale thread and locked this one down. It's now an almost complete motor needing only a few items to be swapped over.

Top view.

Head gasket thickness.

Heads prior to installation. They were checked for flatness with a starrett machinists level and feeler gauges as was the block. They checked out fine.

The block prior to head installation. One piston was cleaned to ensure good condition.

The carbon ridge was light enough that it wasn't cleaned prior to head installation. You can also see vertical wear marks on the cylinder walls. Those happened after the Prochager was installed and weren't there when the heads were changed out last year. My guess is that 19psi put enough load on the pistons to do this. The motor ran fantastic. I don't think they are hurting anything but since they are there they need to be mentioned.

ARP2000 rod bolts.

View from the bottom.

Sealed areas of the front. The high flow water pump, 3v oil pump, and oil filter adapter are included. Extra rtv is needed in one small area due to a slight mismatch between the 3v cover and 1L block.

A picture of the thread insert, residual rtv and Loctite.

I think that covers all the good, bad, and ugly. The motor ran great before it was pulled. Some parts and fasteners would be needed from the motor that's being replaced.

I would really like to see a local sale but realize the odds are low. I think it's priced well at $2500 with the buyer arranging shipping. This stock stroke .030" overbore motor displaces 285.47 cubic inches and has a calculated compression of 11.27. It has handled 699 actual horsepower while running e85 and under 19psi from a Procharger at about 6400 rpm.

Edit: Here is a picture with my username and date. The block is being kept bagged.

Last edited:

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
As a mod I would expect you to know the rules about picture requirements when posting for sale threads. :poke:

GL with the sale. If you weren't at the opposite corner of the country I might have been able to peddle it locally.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
As a mod I would expect you to know the rules about picture requirements when posting for sale threads. :poke:

GL with the sale. If you weren't at the opposite corner of the country I might have been able to peddle it locally.

I realized it right after I posted it. Ran out to the garage and took a pic.

Thanks for the reminder.

lethe

V4g!n@ #er
Reaction score
Good luck with the sale. Decent price too. If this was a months ago i would have been all over this engine.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Good luck with the sale. Decent price too. If this was a months ago i would have been all over this engine.

Thanks. It's a good motor that's already been proven to hold forced induction power. It also made 337rwhp n/a with stock heads and stock cats on pump gas. A few people on this site have seen and heard it run in person. I think the custom balance job makes built motors much smoother than stock and this thing is smooth.

Last edited:

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I'd be interested in trading for a like value vehicle in good running condition. Also would like a full set of wheels and tires as a partial trade.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
It's a sound motor with lots of life left in it for a good price. Forged rods and pistons, new style heads. $2500 plus shipping. I'm about 30 miles north of Seattle.

Just swap a few of your parts over and have a forged replacement for your stock 4.6 3v.

K_Brogoitti

forum member
Reaction score
Goddamn. If I wasn't expecting my second child I'd love to have that motor Bruce! I do have some wheels and tires laying around. .. Crappy part is they are stock 18" polished turds

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Goddamn. If I wasn't expecting my second child I'd love to have that motor Bruce! I do have some wheels and tires laying around. .. Crappy part is they are stock 18" polished turds

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Stock 18" polished bullitts in 18x8.5?

Backroad_Beast

2007 Torch Red GT
Reaction score
Damn if this was for sale 6 months ago when I still had a healthy income I would've picked this up. Good luck with sale bud.

Backroad_Beast

2007 Torch Red GT
Reaction score
I'll give you back the money you spent on the wheels and tires if you want to do a partial trade.

That's a very generous offer, but that would still kill off just about all of my savings and with no guarantee of a job anytime soon I just can't right now. Thanks tho Bruce.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
That's a very generous offer, but that would still kill off just about all of my savings and with no guarantee of a job anytime soon I just can't right now. Thanks tho Bruce.

You are welcome. A lot of locals have seen and heard this motor run and you are one of them. Keep it in mind if anything changes, I miss those GT500 wheels I sold to you.

Backroad_Beast

2007 Torch Red GT
Reaction score
You are welcome. A lot of locals have seen and heard this motor run and you are one of them. Keep it in mind if anything changes, I miss those GT500 wheels I sold to you.

Ya I remember seeing it run, it was definitely an impressive motor. Lol fair enough, if I decide to get rid of them you will have first crack at em. I do have 2 sets of GT500's both with tires so I'll have to do some thinking on that.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
New lash adjusters and rockers have been installed along with a set of very good condition used stock cams. Price is $2800 plus shipping with those parts.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
This long block has a high flow water pump and stock oil filter adapter housing already installed.

$2800 with heads, lifters, rockers, and stock cams. $2500 without the lifters, rockers, and cams, $2000 for just the shortblock. The heads have a few thousand miles on them and are the new style. The shortblock has about 25k miles on it since I assembled it with new rings, pistons, bearings, etc. It really ran great and the only reason I pulled it was to install a Big Bore Boss with higher compression and more displacement.

All prices are plus shipping.

I'm located about 30 miles north of Seattle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back