6R80 in my 05

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Yes, they have a TCM, latest model (09+ IIRC) use a 6R80, don't quote me on that as I am not completely sure when they did this, they used an 6R60 before.
So, how to we program the TCM if it is desperate from the pcm?

I feel like this would make one hell of a winter project!

lito

forum member
Reaction score
So, how to we program the TCM if it is desperate from the pcm?

I feel like this would make one hell of a winter project!

You would need a newer SCT device, that is it.

I don't know if this is a DIY project, there are a few walls we could hit.

In paper, one would need a latter 4.6L explorer's PCM, TCM, transmission and maybe some other harnesses. Very sure a 4x2 model would be needed.

Before doing so, access to one to compare with the mustang's 6r80, I don't know if they are actually physically the same.

May need a different alternator, think the 08+ uses the same 6G PCM controlled unit as the mustang but not 100% sure.

The strategy is designed to manage an electric fan clutch, not an electro-FAN, can it be switched? don't know.

The TCM can be tuned.

That is what I can say out of my head, maybe there are other caveats I have not thought of so far.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
You would need a newer SCT device, that is it.

I don't know if this is a DIY project, there are a few walls we could hit.

In paper, one would need a latter 4.6L explorer's PCM, TCM, transmission and maybe some other harnesses. Very sure a 4x2 model would be needed.

Before doing so, access to one to compare with the mustang's 6r80, I don't know if they are actually physically the same.

May need a different alternator, think the 08+ uses the same 6G PCM controlled unit as the mustang but not 100% sure.

The strategy is designed to manage an electric fan clutch, not an electro-FAN, can it be switched? don't know.

The TCM can be tuned.

That is what I can say out of my head, maybe there are other caveats I have not thought of so far.
Thanks for the input. I will start doing some homework and talking to some ford techs I know. I will most likely start looking for "deals" after the car is up and running again.

lito

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I will start doing some homework and talking to some ford techs I know. I will most likely start looking for "deals" after the car is up and running again.

They may ask you about the kind of crazy people you have been hanging out with lately, that put this stuff in your head, lol.

What I am afraid of is that maybe we hit a wall and when you find out, quite some money is involved already.

If only I had some newer cars at hand to play with, arghhhh.....

rcm90

forum member
Reaction score
They may ask you about the kind of crazy people you have been hanging out with lately, that put this stuff in your head, lol.

What I am afraid of is that maybe we hit a wall and when you find out, quite some money is involved already.

If only I had some newer cars at hand to play with, arghhhh.....

I've got a 2010.. let me know what you need and lets get this done!

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
I have one in my '11 f150; may not help, but may help if you're looking for dimensions of one pulled from a truck.
(and, i DO tow in O/D with it!)

rcm90

forum member
Reaction score

I'll start looking around and doing some homework also.

Litebulb

forum member
Reaction score
I'm on this as I'd love this setup too. But I'll be sticking with the magnum for the mile.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Thought I would let you guys know I talked to Kevin at Baumann Engineering / US Shift, and he said they are working on a controller for the 6r80 trans but it will be towards the end of 2014 before it is available.

TurboX

Formally Buzz Lightyear
Reaction score
I'm on this as I'd love this setup too. But I'll be sticking with the magnum for the mile.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Without a doubt, these transmissions are also not as tough as forums lead you to believe. At 700rwhp, Im sure they are great but at these power levels you are better with what you have. I dont scroll the forums and everybodies posts but why is Beefcake ditching the 6speed auto ? Is it really for the transbrake or are there more underlying reasons.

Billy, lemme use your Lentech for a few passes down the 1/4 and I will loan you my 6 speed. Win win for everybody

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Without a doubt, these transmissions are also not as tough as forums lead you to believe. At 700rwhp, Im sure they are great but at these power levels you are better with what you have. I dont scroll the forums and everybodies posts but why is Beefcake ditching the 6speed auto ? Is it really for the transbrake or are there more underlying reasons.

Billy, lemme use your Lentech for a few passes down the 1/4 and I will loan you my 6 speed. Win win for everybody

Pffft, then I would have to shift!

jcw427

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
I'll be running one next year but it'll be paired with a coyote and a modded stock 12 harness and ecm. The trans cases are the same. It's the wiring and internals that are different between the cars and trucks. V6 mustang and 2x4 trucks get the lighter duty version. 5 clutch packs for a gear vs the V8 mustang and the 4x4 that get 6 clutch packs per gear. But you can put the upgraded guts into the lighter trans

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back