6R80 in my 05

jodadejss06gt

TEAM DELETE SHIT
Reaction score
I don't know the answer to this. I'd suggest looking on say rockauto or tasca and go through selecting v6 and v8 and see if the same part numbers show up.

DETROIT

Reaction score
The flex plate you need for the 4.6 6 bolt crank is PMA-PAX28110 from Summit. Just double check me b4 you order but it’s in my car

has anyone else used this six bolt flexplate or have part number for other ones?

DETROIT

Reaction score
I have run into two problems on my 06 auto 6r80 swap, that I believe maybe tied together. On the car side I have an OSS fault and my speedometer is not working. I do have the capacitor installed. The second problem is on the quick6. When it is in park the controller says the range sensor is out of range but acceptable.
Any idea where to start?

forum member
Reaction score
I have run into two problems on my 06 auto 6r80 swap, that I believe maybe tied together. On the car side I have an OSS fault and my speedometer is not working. I do have the capacitor installed. The second problem is on the quick6. When it is in park the controller says the range sensor is out of range but acceptable.
Any idea where to start?
This sounds like a leadframe problem. How many miles do you have on the car since the swap?

jodadejss06gt

TEAM DELETE SHIT
Reaction score
So the out of range could also be where the cable attaches to the trans. There is some adjustability to that.

Do you have a truck trans by any chance? Mine is a truck trans and I had to purchase the arm that bolts to the side of the trans for the mustang and swap it out. F150 cable pulls from the front and mustang pulls from the back.

DETROIT

Reaction score
This sounds like a leadframe problem. How many miles do you have on the car since the swap?

I have a couple hundred miles since the swap, but this problem has always been there. Of corse with the oss fault my engine will shut down at 4k rpms.

My trans came from an f150 and i am using the pbh bracket.

forum member
Reaction score
Your cable could be out of adjustment but I doubt it would cause an oss fault. Checking the adjustment is easy. If you are sure the wiring and cable adjustment is correct, I would look toward the leadframe.

DETROIT

Reaction score
Your cable could be out of adjustment but I doubt it would cause an oss fault. Checking the adjustment is easy. If you are sure the wiring and cable adjustment is correct, I would look toward the leadframe.

Im not 100% on the wiring, as i had it installed (lack of space and time restraints). But doing a once over, it seemed correct. I thought that I had read earlier in this tread, that someone had to ground out the wire for the speed sensor in order for it to work properly. Any thoughts?

DETROIT

Reaction score
Question. Is it safe to assume that if my Q6 controller is displaying the speed. That the OSS is working and the problem is probably in the wiring going to the PCM?

forum member
Reaction score
Im not 100% on the wiring, as i had it installed (lack of space and time restraints). But doing a once over, it seemed correct. I thought that I had read earlier in this tread, that someone had to ground out the wire for the speed sensor in order for it to work properly. Any thoughts?
No thoughts on that. Confirm the wiring is correct, not just a once over. Make sure that you have the correct setting in the controller ("Speedometer Output" section of the manual) .

NORRILLOUS

Reaction score
It seems to be difficult to find a f150 4x2 transmission that is 80k or less. How many tail shaft swaps have been completed for this swap?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NORRILLOUS

Reaction score

white95

boost or bust
Reaction score
This is everything I have on hand. Does anyone see anything missing that I need to pick up before I start this swap?

1. 6r80
  2. Circle D converter
  3. Quick 6 controller
  4. Tach signal converter
  5. PBH cooling line adapters
  6. Transmission cooler
  7. Flex plate + bolts
  8. Motor plate
  9. Driveshaft
  10. Crossmember + mount
  11. Shifter

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
This is everything I have on hand. Does anyone see anything missing that I need to pick up before I start this swap?

1. 6r80
  2. Circle D converter
  3. Quick 6 controller
  4. Tach signal converter
  5. PBH cooling line adapters
  6. Transmission cooler
  7. Flex plate + bolts
  8. Motor plate
  9. Driveshaft
  10. Crossmember + mount
  11. Shifter
Do you have the correct yoke on the rear end for the driveshaft you have?

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
Question and a 6R80 Converter Hub alignment with bell housing.

I'm converting my 4R70W setup in an '05 Mustang to a 6R80. On the 4R, the converter goes onto/into the trans with 3 distinct steps, and on mine, the face of the converter hub was about 1/16" incide the bellhousing (taking a straight edge across the face of the bellhousing from one side to the other). With this, and the flexplate I'm using, there was around 3/16" of space between the flexplate and converter bolt tabs. And, using a stock 4.6L engine-transmission spacer plate. (no issues, all ok).

For flexplate, I am (and have been) using a sfi 8-bolt plate, and from what I could tell at the time, it had a little more space between it and the 4r70 converter, like 3/16" instead of the recommended 1/8"; still withing 'spec', but on the little looser side.

Now with the 6r80 I have with the CircleD converter, it's hub sticks out past the front edge of the transmission case by just a very tiny bit, maybe 1/32, and is almost flush, but not quite. Also, the depth of the converter mounting tabs is 1/8" closer to the face of the bellhousing, compared to the 4r70's depth.

But, is the converter fully seated? should it go in with "3-clicks" or steps like other converters? Seems like I was only able to get 2-clicks/steps, and the face of the converter front hub is very close to being flush with the bellhousing.

1. Does it sound like the converter is all the way in?

2. Is the coyote spacer plate ("starter plate") a little thicker than the 4.6 plate to make up some of this difference?

I have not bolted it up in place, as the 3-steps of the converter going in doesn't seem to be occurring, unless if 2 are going in together. On other transmissions, if that 3rd step is not taking place, the hub sticks out more than this one is (i.e. right near flush).

[Edit: from a similar distance and angle, the converter recessed into the case looks very similar to this one.

White95's 6R80 pic
]

Last edited:

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
Update from above post: transmission is in ok; converter space was close to/at 1/8". Bolted up very easily, no binding on converter.
Now to finish it up and get on the road with it!

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back