Another 800+HP Shelby

Enitalp

The lost guy.
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
hmmm....

I didn't saw 800+ hp, i saw 800+ rpm but peharps i'm blind, and yeah it's the morning and still didn't drink my coffee.

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
hmmm....

I didn't saw 800+ hp, i saw 800+ rpm but peharps i'm blind, and yeah it's the morning and still didn't drink my coffee.

On THR's blog board they say it is 830 to the wheels.

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I wounder how much boost the stock GT500 internals are going to be able to take.

Last edited:

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
from what i can gather and have been told, they are forged. prolly take it very well

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
from what i can gather and have been told, they are forged. prolly take it very well

I think your right, from what I have read ford did it right with the rotating assembly on the GT500.

Buckman

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I think your right, from what I have read ford did it right with the rotating assembly on the GT500.

As some of you know I am doing a 5.4 4V swap w/ PowerHouse turbo, so I have researched all the ins and outs of the internals for this engine.
Looks like 600 rwhp is about the "safe" limit to go without going aftermarket internals from what I researched. Anything beyond that is the "risk" game.
Here is a quote by Jon Lund regarding the engine:

"After a recent visit to Roush and SVT in Dearborn with the EVO machine we were able to gather alot of excellent test and research data on the GT 500. We also meet up with the Maule engineers and actually had a great conversation with the guy that designed the Rod and Piston Combo. The Piston is a stout unit although it is near the same desing as the Ford GT it isn't the exact same piston. Some slight design differances in the Ring land for oil control and some very slight weight differances but in and of itself a very stout design and much stronger than the 03/04 Cobra piece.

The Rods are indeed a craked forged I-beam design. The engineer indicated a 650-675 crank HP range was nearing the limit but more important was the RPM limit. They could handle quite a bit of load as long as the Revs were kept in tact. He indicated the more power being made the lower the rpm. Stock Rev is 6250 for that reason so I'd once these KB units start making it to streets I think we will see more internal rod damage and some blown motors just due to purely exceeding the Rods design capability."

Thanks,

Jon L

This and other research has led me to the decision to set the initial power to about 600rwhp and then maybe in a year or so I will delve into the internals to build it up further from there.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back