Best brand oil catch can

theRedStorm

forum member
Reaction score
I'm looking to get a catchcan. Heard it's a good idea for engine longevity. I was told to get one for the driver side. What are yalls opinion on some brands?

2005 mustang gt

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have a Mishimoto universal one I picked up at Carlisle for $100 a couple years ago. Originally had a universal one from Jeg's but the Mishimoto seems to work much better, however it was slightly tricky to plumb in.

1950StangJump$

forum member
Reaction score
You will get all kinds of opinions here. It's like asking the best motor oil.

I used a Moroso can because I wanted volume. The SC's cause much more blowby, and I didn't want to have a can that needed emptied all that often.

Whatever you get, check to see that the included hoses will stay open when the car is under vacuum -- especially when the hoses are hot. I found that the hoses included were not rated at high enough vacuum and, when the car was hot and idling, you could see the hoses constricting to a point they were almost closed. Maybe it was inconsequential under vacuum, but I still didn't like it, so I fixed it.

file-24.jpeg

JJ427R

Reaction score
I question why manufacturers don't put these on if they are so necessary? I searched for quite some time initially but nobody made one to fit my 2010 Roush, called several different companies about one and never found one to fit, so I've never put one on. 50,000 miles so far on my car, I'll get a little puff of smoke occasionally when I start it but I've never had any issues people say you'll have without one.

1950StangJump$

forum member
Reaction score
There are a number of reasons manufacturers don't use them. Cost, for one.

Also, it creates another maintenance item for owners, since they have to be emptied. If not emptied, there could be mechanical ramifications.

Also, federal law says crankcase gases much be captured and funneled back into the crankcase. Not sure how these factor in to the law. I know that 2014-2015 Z28s have oil separators, so I don't think they are absolutely illegal.

Bottom line, your intake will have oil in it. Theoretically, it lowers the octane of the gas your car is burning. Also, your engine internals are probably more dirty than if you had a catch can the whole time. Is it consequential? Lots of debate.

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I always figured they weren't OE because, as StangJump said, it's another maintenance item. Some people can't even get their oil changed on the correct interval, much less get a catch can emptied.

I used the fiber braid, steel wire reinforced Push-Lok hose on my Mishimoto (with standard barbed fittings) so I know that stuff won't get sucked shut :)

07 Boss

Reaction score
I question why manufacturers don't put these on if they are so necessary? I searched for quite some time initially but nobody made one to fit my 2010 Roush, called several different companies about one and never found one to fit, so I've never put one on. 50,000 miles so far on my car, I'll get a little puff of smoke occasionally when I start it but I've never had any issues people say you'll have without one.

What do you mean it won't fit? It's just hoses. I'm not sure how one doesn't fit. Get a couple feet of 5/8 hose and cut it to the length you need to into the can and then back to the manifold. It's not rocket science.

I know it's always a debate but I've run just breathers on just about every car I've owned.

JJ427R

Reaction score
What do you mean it won't fit?
Because of the intake on the 2010 M90 SC on the opposite side, it blocks the area where you could normally place it on the drivers side. Would have had to route it to passenger side somewhere. At the time (2010) most catch cans were made with the proper lines and PCV connectors, nobody made one specific for the 2010 Roush, but for 07-09 everyone had em' 2010 was that odd year...
I'm in a wheelchair so also wanted to get it placed somewhere in my reach and that was another issue, guess at that point I just gave up on it....

Iceman62

Bullitt 6005
Reaction score
Probably not the most recommended manufacturer, but I went w/JLT for the (1) price & (2) convenience/ease. Mine literally fills w/every 3K oil change so works for my need(s).

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
https://www.americanmuscle.com/jlt-30-passenger-side-air-oil-separator-0510gt.html Satin

https://www.americanmuscle.com/jlt-oil-separator-v3-black-0510.html Black

Both will fit a 2010. I use the Satin version on my 2010 automatic with M90 blower. On the 2010 with M90, the oem Roush line is already routed from drivers side front end of valve cover...to M90 blower elbow. The JLT, (or any other brand) is simply spliced inline, typ within a foot of the eng.

I believe it was Dimora, who posted several pix of what it looks like when the M90 is removed...and no catch can was ever used, a real mess ! You end up with oil all over the inside of blower elbow, blower rotor pack, IC, and also collected everywhere on the Roush intake manifold. The IC is literally soaked in oil. His manifold had collected oil everywhere, it was a mess.

Note, mine and other's catch cans would typ be 3/4 full of what appeared to resemble a chocolate milkshake...it is a mixture of oil/unburnt fuel/moisture. But that's when oem Ford dino eng oil was used (5W-20). Once I switched to RP 5W-30 HPS, which is 100% synthetic, the amount collected was barely 3/8"...and looks like normal eng oil, no more choc shake. We think it's cuz of the 100% synthetic used, and /or the proprietary ingredients in the RP HPS. Being in a wheel chair, you would have a helluva time reaching it. Flip side is, a helper could empty it easily..and fast.

Bottom line is, installation of any brand catch can on a M90 equipped 2010 is dead simple straight forward.

Look at the pix in posting #6. You will see where it comes off the front end of the driver's side valve cover, then into catch can..... then into blower elbow
( which in his case, with his K Bell elbow on pass side, ends up on pass side). On the 2010 M90, blower elbow is on driver's side, so it makes for a simple install. But you get the point, the catch can is located just a bit to the right of the driver's side valve cover..as depicted in the pix on posting #6. On the 2010 M90, with it's CAI tube on driver's side, the catch can ends up being located between cai and sidewall..and below the cai.

Last edited:

theRedStorm

forum member
Reaction score
One other question I have is do you guys recommend one for both sides or just the drivers side?

JG-1

forum member
Reaction score
How often do you guys empty the cans? And does a blower require more frequent can empting than NA?

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I don't believe one is really recommended for the passenger side unless you have forced induction.

I empty mine at every oil change (5000 miles). It's usually got a good couple ounces of liquid in it by that point.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Driver's side only on a 05-10 car, with or without a blower. Empty catch can either every oil change, or at least check it every 6 months. Empty it at least every 5 k miles. Some of this will depend on what type of oil is used etc. Once installed, you will get a feel for... catch can level vs miles driven. I collected way more when Ford dino oil was used. Way less collected when 100 % synthetic used.

theRedStorm

forum member
Reaction score
I use Ford OE Motorcraft in my car. So I'll definitely shoot for every 3-5k miles. I typically change my oil every 4-5k so that seems a reasonable range to empty the can. And I ended up going with a mishimoto can. Someone was selling a red aluminum one. (idk if it's mishimoto or a knockoff but it looks damn close with all the components and design). No aluminum shavings or anything either.

IMG_20190301_181723_400.jpg

1950StangJump$

forum member
Reaction score
One other question I have is do you guys recommend one for both sides or just the drivers side?

As stated above, a catch can on the passenger side for an 05-10 car would be a complete waste. With or without a blower, if you collect oil on that side, something is terrible wrong.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
As stated above, a catch can on the passenger side for an 05-10 car would be a complete waste. With or without a blower, if you collect oil on that side, something is terrible wrong.

Not if you have a valve cover breather on the driver's side.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back