Burned up my power steering pump - Aftermarket Options?

hammerdown

forum member
Reaction score
I did some searching first and seems I'm not the only one to have problems with the power steering pump.. I cooked mine off at an autocross this past weekend after the fluid got too hot and I figured "fuck it" it's not gonna get any worse from here so I kept driving it which probably didn't help matters any either.

Anyway, I know the pump is gone and I'll need to replace it. What are my options to make sure this doesn't happen again?

So far I'm considering adding the service replacement power steering cooler from the FR500S race car and switching to RP fluid.

I figure the cooler can't hurt but I'm unsure about using RP. The claim to tolerate heat better if you read the bottle but from what I've read most people have said use Mercon V.

Second thing is this.. if these pumps are so shitty they can't stand an afternoon of AX-ing then is there an aftermarket piece that's more durable?

Last edited:

Memphis

I Aim to Misbehave
Reaction score
Are you wanting to stick with powersteering? Flaming river makes a really nice manual steering rack, drops weight and you dont have to worry about a pump going again. At speed you aren't going to notice much difference between power vs manual steering. 0-25mph if you have really wide tires out front you might notice a difference. Just my two cents, but I'm biased in despising my power steering system!

Gray Ghost GT

Road Racing Fanatic!
Reaction score
I highly recommend the power steering cooler with Redline Synthetic Power Steering Fluid. I've been using the Griggs Racing PS Cooling Kit with great results.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back