Car will not make boost. Need some help

Sprayer84

forum member
Reaction score
I don't know if it was clogged or if it was a manufacturing defect. It's possible in my rush to get it finished, due to me installing it at work, I never had the BC hooked up right from the go. The BC could have been feeding the top but set to a high DC, that bled most off, the whole time.
I'm hoping this is a fix, there are others running this coldside with ZERO issues. If it works but not well I will just have a new coldside made at a local speed shop. Intercooler specs below

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21370182124.575109.jpg

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If you have a friend with a scope, you should peek in your old one. Although, if you found a ball of flattened newspaper in it, you might be irked.

Sprayer84

forum member
Reaction score
That actually crossed my mind because I have a scope. But it's easy to see in the tank with the inlet/outlet. So the obstruction would have to be in the other tank. The intercooler bars have fins inside them though so it would have to be a surgical scope lol.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
That actually crossed my mind because I have a scope. But it's easy to see in the tank with the inlet/outlet. So the obstruction would have to be in the other tank. The intercooler bars have fins inside them though so it would have to be a surgical scope lol.
Get out the sawsall and cut it in half already!:evillaugh:

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Wow, so that I/C is loosing 12 psi?

If you want to change your piping around, I have a Procharger I/C for sale cheap in the classifieds if you think you can make it work.

JoshK

Modder AKA Fuel
Reaction score
I think it is time for a real intercooler. What does Zimmers have to say, you bought another intercooler that is basically the exact same as they supply right?

Sprayer84

forum member
Reaction score
I've been in touch with zimmer. I think he's working on something. He wants to get this resolved as well. The hardest thing about getting a new intercooler is getting one that will work with my current piping.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
I've been in touch with zimmer. I think he's working on something. He wants to get this resolved as well. The hardest thing about getting a new intercooler is getting one that will work with my current piping.

It seems really hard to believe that they have others with no issues though. Maybe they can weigh in on that after they find a solution for you.

Good luck!

michael.konor

forum member
Reaction score
Since we're grasping at straws, here's a thought...

Given:

- Without intercooler, boost is normal. A physical check of both intercoolers shows no obvious problem.
- No leaks that can account for lost of boost. Especially since with bypass, boost > 15psi.
- Intercoolers have a nominal amount of restriction and you can expect some equally nominal amount of loss
- PSI is a measurement of restriction, not of flow.

Without having ever diassembled a turbo myself, what if the problem is the turbo itself? Is possible that it's somehow slipping internally? When it reaches the restriction of the intercooler, PSI builds but it begins to slip and can't push the flow past the intercooler?

How off am I?

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back