Car will not make boost. Need some help

P-51 Performance

forum member
Reaction score
It seems really hard to believe that they have others with no issues though. Maybe they can weigh in on that after they find a solution for you.

Good luck!

Well i might have the same problem..i have a 9psi spring and i was only getting 5psi. I had to place some washers in the WG to force it to 9psi. Since i got it to 9 i really didnt care and left it alone.i havnt tried that home depot bypass lol but i have a feeling its gana be that IC.iv checked and replaced everything else.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Well i might have the same problem..i have a 9psi spring and i was only getting 5psi. I had to place some washers in the WG to force it to 9psi. Since i got it to 9 i really didnt care and left it alone.i havnt tried that home depot bypass lol but i have a feeling its gana be that IC.iv checked and replaced everything else.

Sounds like you need a trip to Home Depot as well.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Since we're grasping at straws, here's a thought...

Given:

- Without intercooler, boost is normal. A physical check of both intercoolers shows no obvious problem.
- No leaks that can account for lost of boost. Especially since with bypass, boost > 15psi.
- Intercoolers have a nominal amount of restriction and you can expect some equally nominal amount of loss
- PSI is a measurement of restriction, not of flow.

Without having ever diassembled a turbo myself, what if the problem is the turbo itself? Is possible that it's somehow slipping internally? When it reaches the restriction of the intercooler, PSI builds but it begins to slip and can't push the flow past the intercooler?

How off am I?

I suspect that intercooler was designed for a smaller turbo. The flow is stacking in the intercooler causing issues. I think that is why the turbo is slowing down in the video. Since I have the same exact turbo and intercooler sitting in my shed, I have the same problem Sprayer84 has.

What a fucking mess. My Zimmer kit is not looking like such a good deal. I either need a new cold side, or a new intercooler fabbed. I sure as hell am not sending it to the shop with the kit as it stands.

Sprayer, I have been talking to CPRsm about fabbing a new intercooler...but, your car would be sidelined without boost for awhile.

S&H Performance... since you guys have been working with the Zimmer stuff a little...would your cold side be usable with the Zimmer hotside?

michael.konor

forum member
Reaction score
^^^ Not S&H, but I'm running the Zimmer Hotside with a Hellion Coldside. Took some fabricating due to the slightly different position of the turbo, but workable.

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
You have good boost with no lag?

i have zero issues.....ive pushed it to over 20psi, a 9PSI spring in my wastegate gets me 9.5psi. i have 2 boost gauges hooked up, one at the compressor that the boost controller runs off of and one after the throttle body for data logging...they never differ by more than .1-.2PSI.

Makdaddy

I am Dysfunctional
Reaction score
I S&H Performance... since you guys have been working with the Zimmer stuff a little...would your cold side be usable with the Zimmer hotside?

I just finished a on3 (S&H) cold side with a Zimmer hot side
Worked well and I spool good no lag at least for the first 10 miles i have on it

07Bossman

Reaction score
Someone please explain how the intercooler worked in post one, built enough boost to trigger alarms, then all of a sudden became a restriction.
There's more going on here. You guys have op running in circles when you can't even explain the first observed behavior of his Turbo kit.

JoshK

Modder AKA Fuel
Reaction score
he doesnt say how much manifold pressure he actually saw, just that it was high enough that it triggered the alarm. If the alarm was set to 15lbs, with the wg hooked up wrong it could have easily had 30lbs of boost at the compressor outlet.

07Bossman

Reaction score
he doesnt say how much manifold pressure he actually saw, just that it was high enough that it triggered the alarm. If the alarm was set to 15lbs, with the wg hooked up wrong it could have easily had 30lbs of boost at the compressor outlet.

Good point. I have a hard time believing even at idle the intercooler won't flow.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Good point. I have a hard time believing even at idle the intercooler won't flow.

It is flowing as the motor is running, it restricts flow and messes with the BOV just enough at idle to stall the turbine.

Last edited:

Zimmers

forum member
Reaction score

He saw 25lb manifold pressure

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that's what I saw, but that's when it was hooked up backwards. Who knows what the pressure was at the turbo.

I sent you a PM, but posting for the other guys that may be affected.

I am gonna see if I can make this work. I think it is big enough and Mishimoto has a good rep.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The only thing is making a new pipe from the turbo to the intercooler

I'm hoping he can just mod the end of that pipe. The more I looked, a lot of guys play around with the cold side. The hot side, not so much. It sucks for you to play around with it because you have dicked with it enough that you just want it done.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back