Charging system??

Reaction score
My car was solid as a rock for two years until the alternator took a dump on the fourth of July on the way to a fireworks show. All electical systems incrementally cut out and then i noticed that the factory volt "gauge" went to zero and all systems cut out except the ignition system. Car was under warranty, so they replaced the alternator. All was good until last saturday and the "gauge" pegged "H" and everything cut out. I was a ways from home and just crossed my fingers and drove home. As I drove down the street, it would peg zero, and then normal, and then high at any given moment. Had no time to mess with it since it's finals week, so I dropped it off at the dealer. I was thinking voltage regulator, but didn't bother with it due to lack of time. I'm on my third alternator now. The car doesn't get all that much street use. I've been running quite a few track events this summer and was wondering if you fellow carvers are experiencing similar issues? Anyone using a non ford oem alternator out here?

SD07GT

forum member
Reaction score
I see what you are getting at, but I put this here cause I'm curious if the constant high winding of these things are common cause of failure or not.

gotcha ! there were a few people on the regular board a while ago that had the same problem as you going throgh two to three alternators ..I dont remember who they were , but I do recall there being a short somewhere in the harness or fuse box in the motor compartment

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
I'm on my third alternator as well: First crapped out 20 miles off the dealer's lot (around 70 total on the odometer), THAT one lasted until early spring last year, so I went aftermarket, and that's been good so far... I do run a battery tender, so I wonder if that might be helping matters... Symptomatically, I had the same thing: lights dying, gauges going whacko, finally, just crapped out...

TLeroux

Reaction score
The obvious solution is to quickly repaint your car before another alternator gives out.

Bizzyb0nes

forum member
Reaction score
Vapor ftw! I can't believe ford had this many problems on alternators. I had an '87 Saleen that the alt. finally crapped out after 20yrs and 140k miles...tons of high mileage sn95's that were atleast 10yrs old...but somehow 05+ car's alts die within a year and low mileage...just crazy

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back