Chasing Superchager Belt Issues/Engine Knock/Clutch problems

crownaviation

http://www.tudyno.com/
Reaction score
Wow. I have never even heard of a m122 ever locking up. The snout or the rotors? Oil in the snout?

S550 time for you... the blowers are cheap and those kits sell fast even used. I may actually have local interest in a used kit

GT500KR

forum member
Reaction score
Got curious. Plenty of clean oil

So.... had to beat the pulley off and well....
should have gotten a name brand supercharger kit. I appreciate the uniqueness but not worth all my troubles.

This is the snout

This is the inside of the pulley

GT500KR

forum member
Reaction score
That would explain why the car died on me. Then wouldn't start. Then when we push started it the belt was tight enough the blower kept the belt stopped. Motor turned and snappy snappy off went my idler... :/

crownaviation

Reaction score
No not at all no end play. No side to side play. Think pulley isn't strong enough and went soft. Need one out of steel anyone help? Thanks.

Please give me a pass on grammar, typing in my stupid phone

There is a company that makes them custom fit the gt500. You could maybe get with Jason for the spec on these and possibly that company would make you one.

Think that is an extreme solution tho. One of the first customer cars I did has nearly 50,000 miles and is on the second belt. Changed it for good measure but this is a pretty rare deal. A batch went out that was right on the 2012 blower but has been corrected.

When you had the water pump pulley break on you and your original hub issue did it gall the snout? I had that happen on the 2012 with the tight pulley mentioned above. First problem I have ever personally encountered and I have installed lots of these kits. On that particular deal I had to machine down the ridges created when the pulley wobbled on the snout. The ridge protruded almost .030 above the oem od

Had another guy that forgot to tighten up his blower pulley and ran it. Dane result as yours. His hot so hot it ruined the snout seal. Be shipped the snout to me and I installed new seals and new hub. I also had to machine down his snout after that. On his and the 2012, the hub was damaged as result also

Last edited:

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You would think a machinist could clean that up fairly easily.

crownaviation

Reaction score
You would think a machinist could clean that up fairly easily.

Very simple yes.
20140919_204250_zps153utais.jpg

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
No not at all no end play. No side to side play. Think pulley isn't strong enough and went soft. Need one out of steel anyone help? Thanks.

When I had the ROUSH M90 blower, I installed a BBR aluminum pulley that ended up working its way off the supercharger snout, ripped and threw off the belt, trashing steering hoses, cracked the timing cover, etc.

I will never use aluminum supercharger pulleys ever again!!
Sure they look nice, but when they heat up, they let go!!

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Sure they look nice, but when they heat up, they let go!!
That clearance did not open up and that pulley did not "go soft". I would bet money there is a variable out there that explains the hub/pulley being pulled off, the water pump pulley breaking, the front cover breaking and now this. That is too many things involved with the belt system to be a fluke.

The standard tolerance on a press fit is .001"/1" shaft. Those shafts are about .75". We run a .005-.007" interference fit. That is WAY over spec. I have to heat those hubs to 9000 before they will go on.

There are a TON of cars out there having zero issues, some of them spinning the guts out of their blowers. It could be a hub issue, that is a possibility. But it is not a "aluminum" issue.

That said, if he wants a steel one we will make him one. But if there is an outside variable causing all of these stresses then putting a "stronger" (which I don't believe it would be) pulley on will just shift those stresses to the next part in line.

I think the best bet is to ship me the snout and I will spec it out and put a new hub on. Maybe a custom machined one if the snout is undersized. If it happens again after that, it's not the hub/pulley.

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
I'm making 17lbs of boost with a 2.65" SC pulley and a 10% OD crank pulley on my M122 with a six rib belt and I have zero issues.

GT500KR

forum member
Reaction score
Water pump pulley broke because the guy that made it made it too thin.
maybe I'm running too much belt tension.
and the idler broke off because the pulley locked up on the snout. And when we tried to push start it that was the weakest link due to the shallow bolt supplied by metco

GT500KR

forum member
Reaction score
Turned the inside down a bit... still looks too damn close. Think this pulley is flexing. Also upgraded the Allen heads too... :/

crownaviation

Reaction score
Take another 40 thou of it (total). I took .030 (x2) off the one we had and is perfect. Granted it was a 3" pulley, but there is still plenty of meat left on that pulley imo

Last edited:

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
You guys are lucky. When the snout bearings blew up on my M90 I had to use sand paper and razor blades to clean up galled aluminum on the inside of the pulley. Luckily the latter was steel.

GT500KR

forum member
Reaction score
Well good news... took pulley off just now. After driving it to work and around town... doesn't look like it rubbed at all... but now I'm only making 10-11lbs where I was making 14ish before all of this... wtf

And the pulley looks like it's bent... slight wobble to it :/

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back