Clutch problems

smoken1986

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah I only have a max of 6-7k on mine. What flywheel where you running? Did they have you change it when you got the new one? I am shipping mine with the FW this week. I wasnt going to upgrade to RXT because my wife drives the car too and doesnt like the grabby clutches.

tbrock

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Amazing to hear how many of us are having issues. Good luck, Justin is righteous and will take care of things on his end. My RST only has 350 miles but the weather stinks here now so she is in the garage with a fresh 3 coats of wax until the roads clear a bit. Very nervous as people keep having problems as they get more mileage on the clutch. Money would have been better spent on a Ram or going with the spec 3+. Maybe Ram or Spec should run a trade your RST for one of their clutches promo.

Last edited:

Meikol02

Reaction score
Shims helped to make mine perfect when cold, but it still hangs up a little when hot. In my case the shims supplied put clearance right at .020" which is the minimum clearance McLeod lists. Another .005" shim would probably have fixed this completely. The shop followed the McLeod spec and since it runs great cold, they figured all good. Have to see how it goes...

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah I only have a max of 6-7k on mine. What flywheel where you running? Did they have you change it when you got the new one? I am shipping mine with the FW this week. I wasnt going to upgrade to RXT because my wife drives the car too and doesnt like the grabby clutches.

I was running a Fidanza Aluminum flywheel, per McLeod's suggestion when I first inquired about the RST. Now, I have a McLeod flywheel...
I had to ship my whole setup to McLeod and they kept it for investigation...thus I had to buy the McLeod flywheel...at a discount... sigh

Regarding the RXT, its not grabby at all. Its no different than the RST!!!

smoken1986

forum member
Reaction score
Amazing to hear how many of us are having issues. Good luck, Justin is righteous and will take care of things on his end. My RST only has 350 miles but the weather stinks here now so she is in the garage with a fresh 3 coats of wax until the roads clear a bit. Very nervous as people keep having problems as they get more mileage on the clutch. Money would have been better spent on a Ram or going with the spec 3+. Maybe Ram or Spec should run a trade your RST for one of their clutches promo.

I had a worse experience with the spec 3+, the clutch peddle started sticking to the floor under wot, and only had a few thousand miles on it. The RST was way better.

I was running a Fidanza Aluminum flywheel, per McLeod's suggestion when I first inquired about the RST. Now, I have a McLeod flywheel...
I had to ship my whole setup to McLeod and they kept it for investigation...thus I had to buy the McLeod flywheel...at a discount... sigh

Regarding the RXT, its not grabby at all. Its no different than the RST!!!

Well if that is the case I may think about changing to the RXT

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
Well if that is the case I may think about changing to the RXT

I frankly do not feel a difference between the two; since they are both solid hubs. Maybe the RST was a little more mushy feeling upon engagement, but the RXT by no means is harsh or grabby. Its very street friendly...

Anyone else here run the RXT...?

bigray327

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Anyone else here run the RXT...?
Yes, very street-friendly.

I have an RXT with flywheel for sale for cheap in the For Sale section. Buyer beware: it clunked a little due to improper installation, but otherwise operated just find. Held power like crazy.

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
Yes, very street-friendly.

I have an RXT with flywheel for sale for cheap in the For Sale section. Buyer beware: it clunked a little due to improper installation, but otherwise operated just find. Held power like crazy.

When you ran it, did you consider it grabby and harsh for street use...?
Do you consider it smooth and very street friendly?

bigray327

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
When you ran it, did you consider it grabby and harsh for street use...?
Do you consider it smooth and very street friendly?
I didn't find it grabby or harsh. I thought it was very streetable. All dual disc clutches are gonna be a little chattery, and this is no exception, but otherwise it was pretty great. Except for the clunking.

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
I didn't find it grabby or harsh. I thought it was very streetable. All dual disc clutches are gonna be a little chattery, and this is no exception, but otherwise it was pretty great. Except for the clunking.

Clunking!!?? Chattery!!??

I have yet to experience any of these... *knocking on wood*

bigray327

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Clunking!!?? Chattery!!??

I have yet to experience any of these... *knocking on wood*
Like I've said probably fifty times, the clunking was not normal. And if you're gonna spend big dollars on a dual disc clutch, you might want to spend five minutes googling clutch chatter.

tbrock

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Shims helped to make mine perfect when cold, but it still hangs up a little when hot. In my case the shims supplied put clearance right at .020" which is the minimum clearance McLeod lists. Another .005" shim would probably have fixed this completely. The shop followed the McLeod spec and since it runs great cold, they figured all good. Have to see how it goes...

Any update on how your clutch is performing? Mine has started to drag when it gets warm. Pulled into the supermarket parking lot the other day after driving it for about 2 hours and with the clutch pedal to the floor the car was still moving! while idling in 1st gear!! Here we go again.

Meikol02

Reaction score
Mine is the same, I thought I would get .005" of wear out of the dang thing by now to clear it up, but no luck. Warm=slight hang up. Especially as you described. Just not been worth it to me to have the trans yanked again. Next time I have to pull it out I will try again to address it. I want to be there next time to inspect it myself.

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
I had the same issue as all of you...but mine wasn't about shims or anything. My floating plate was manufactured incorrectly to where my inside disk (the one facing the flywheel between the floating plate) was not contacting the friction surfaces...not until the clutch disc overheated, warped, and created constant engagement. My pedal also got slightly mushy (and that was do to the overheating disc).

Just FYI...

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
iirc the rst was a floating plate issue for me as well. I run an act twin now with a shim for the slave.

gil_t2

Love Nitro in the Morning
Reaction score
iirc the rst was a floating plate issue for me as well. I run an act twin now with a shim for the slave.

Jeremy, do you like the ACT, or would you go back to McLeod? I need to replace my Ram single dis, I have a bad knee, and the peddle is to hard to depress, I could go Auto,

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I love the act, very smooth clutch, softer than stock pedal effort. Its pricey though.
It is a little grabby when intialy taking off from a dead stop but its getting smoother as I put some miles on it.

I also loved the rst I had for my 3650 great clutch as well.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I love the act, very smooth clutch, softer than stock pedal effort. Its pricey though.
It is a little grabby when intialy taking off from a dead stop but its getting smoother as I put some miles on it.

I also loved the rst I had for my 3650 great clutch as well.

LMAO at the "putting miles on it"....YEAH, RIGHT!!!!:naughty1:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back