Clutch rattle

Duce714

Reaction score
I have an 06 GT that I picked up used, I was told that it had been stroked, has hot rod cams and long tube haeders, x pipe And full aftermarket exhaust out the back. Sounds great! My question is for someone with the hot rod cams. When sitting at idle with the A/C on and in neutral with foot off of the clutch, the clutch makes a shaking/rattle sound. Push in on clutch and the rattle is gone. With A/C off in same configuration, there is no rattle. I was told it is because with A/C on RPMs drop slightly at idle causing the engine to shake more causing the clutch rattle. Nature of the beast I guess. Could the idle be bumped up slightly to correct this and if so would I loose the lope of the cams?

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
idle can easily be raised in a tune adjustment, did you get a handheld tuner with the car, no you wouldn't lose the lope.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Its not the clutch, it is gear clatter from the trans. Mine did it with the stock 5 spd and v6. The new magnum xl does it with the coyote.
Its normal, turn up the radio!

Duce714

Reaction score
I Installed another Used TR3650 with low miles and it makes the same rattle. Might try to raise the idle and see if it helps. Or just run without the A/C.

Anti

forum member
Reaction score
Mine does it too, even with a new Tob, lightened flywheel, and exedy Mach 500 clutch.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
That damn ATF we have to use is like diluted piss for viscosity. I bet a thicker oil would quite it down. My toploaders never made any rattle like that, they took gear lube!

FredB66

Reaction score
My Magnum XL rattles too. I still have a hard time believing that it's normal but I keep hearing that it is.

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
I’m using a McLeod Extreme single disc on a lightened steel flywheel with a stock throw out. It does not rattle but it is a bit stiff. My T56 magnum does not rattle ether. I can hear gear whine when the car is moving.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You guys saying you have rattle have you upgraded your motor mounts and trans mount?

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I had prothane then poly with upr k. I poly filled 80a my trans mount. I have no rattle or chatter. 6060 with mobil full syn atf and rxt.

Last edited:

SalD

Reaction score
I have a 2008 GT 4.6 L I just put the Hot Rod cams in and mine does it too. I am glad to see others experience this because I thought I may have to replace my clutch!

ShelbySteve

Reaction score
I have a 2008 GT 4.6 L I just put the Hot Rod cams in and mine does it too. I am glad to see others experience this because I thought I may have to replace my clutch!
I have the hot rod cams and mine is doing it too. With only 20.5k miles I didn’t want to think it was the throw out bearing but I guess I’ll be getting poly mounts.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back