Clutch rattle

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The stiffer polyurethane mounts allow the rest of chassis then to suspension and tires to ground to dampen the vibration from the rough idle. So its not rattling motor/trans as much.

tbear853

Reaction score
The only rattles I have had was:
1) shifter rattle in our Hurst due to slack clearance in the ball the shift lever pivots by. I slathered a dose of Valvoline Ford spec grey wheel bearing grease with moly on top of the ball at the lower end under the two boots, then a piece of thin plastic to separate grease from rubber ... fixed.
2) separator plate rattle between the engine and bell housing. I loosened two lower bolts and placed washers between plate and pried the plate to create clearance between it and flywheel that is adjacent to the plate ... fixed.Sep Plate Rattle Fix 6 - Copy.jpg

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
I have a 2008 GT 4.6 L I just put the Hot Rod cams in and mine does it too. I am glad to see others experience this because I thought I may have to replace my clutch!
This sounds like gear rattle internal to the transmission, between the input shaft and the countershaft immediately inside the gearbox. When you're in neutral, the countershaft is essentially free-floating in the rotational sense. The input shaft, on the other hand, is not rotating at a truly constant velocity (it speeds up and slows down as cylinders fire and you get a pause before the next cylinder fires). Clearance between the teeth on those mating gears allows the countershaft to go in and out of contact with both the drive side and the coast side of the engaged teeth on the input shaft gear.

It's a resonance thing as well (the countershaft being completely free to vibrate rotationally), so sometimes an idle speed adjustment can be enough to shut the rattle up. An RPM change due to A/C engagement could be enough to either cause or eliminate this rattle.

Norm

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
^^ What Norm said. I get that same rattle with my magnum xl, all new clutch parts and stock 5.0.

Anti

forum member
Reaction score
So, i am glad to see this. I thought i had a rattle before. Lol.. nope, i have one now though, since my 127600 cam install.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back