Considering a 5.4 build/swap please advise

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
you can bore out another .4 liters?

I really guess I need to look deeper into that.

And yeah, I'm wanting to up my compression to at least a 10.5 Bout the same as a pi swapped 96-98, just have to run better gas.

Here is an article that I read yesterday. I am going to be doing a big bore stroker on my build I believe with 10.5:1 CR, just trying to figure out which pistons to use :thud:

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/techarticles/m5lp_0803_frpp_mustang_block/index.html

BoostedGT480

Slow 3v
Reaction score
I'm saying buy the boss big bore 5.0 block, not bore out the 4.6. When getting the big bore 5.0 built, you can get whatever CR pistons you wanted and get it built to order

gil_t2

Love Nitro in the Morning
Reaction score
You can bore out the Alu 4.6 block, but then you need to install iron sleeves. That would cost about as much as the FRPP iron big bore block

Last edited:

06Mach

forum member
Reaction score
now this is just a block right? I think I've considered this before.
I'd still need to buy the whole rotational assembly right?

I like the idea, but it seems a bit much for what I'm after.

well good thing I have about 100K left to save.
I just need to decide what exactly I'm saving for.

Last edited by a moderator:

gil_t2

Reaction score

Natural1

all around duguder
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The company you're buying them from may be an important factor. I saved a bunch of coin (almost half) by shopping somewhere else. The pistons I'm referring to are for a 3.720"/3.800" big bore stroker. One set was already purchased at an outrageous cost and it just wasn't going to happen again. Oh, both are very well known piston manufacturers. Food for thought, in any instance..

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
There is nothing to figure out, You just call the piston company you are buying from, and tell them your spec's and they make the pistions.

Head-desk-1.jpg

I feel like an even bigger idiot for not doing that instead lol. Thank You
The company you're buying them from may be an important factor. I saved a bunch of coin (almost half) by shopping somewhere else. The pistons I'm referring to are for a 3.720"/3.800" big bore stroker. One set was already purchased at an outrageous cost and it just wasn't going to happen again. Oh, both are very well known piston manufacturers. Food for thought, in any instance..

Good advice I have been looking a lot lately and have found lots of fluctuating prices for pistons

Natural1

all around duguder
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well, they fluctuate when the manufacturer thinks that their piston is special. "You've made a 3.800" stroker piston and you've made a 3.700, 3.710", 3.720" and a 3.730" big bore piston. You've also made a combination of the two, at least once and I know this because I'm looking at them. That tells me that you have a program already done for them and I don't expect to pay for engineering and programming, over and over again." They responded by saying that I "didn't understand the costs associated with manufacturing." I told them that,"I did understand that they were going to have a hard time recovering any additional costs from the last set that were made, when I buy the second set from someone else."

Basically, we will not be purchasing a certain piston, designed by a certain engine builder and produced by a certain manufacturer, again (hint: a ______ is a girl's best friend). The exact same piston is available through another manufacturer and I believe it is a better product, at a lower price.

Last edited:

gil_t2

Reaction score
Sorry that I did not make myself clear, I don't like to do long post. I am all so buying 3.70 10.5 pistons for my build, and none of us want to pay too much. There are items ( off the shelve) that we can save money on. There are some items that are harder, I am using a stock length rod to save money, but with the head volume and compression i want there isn't an off the shelve piston out there, so i made up my mind on the manufacture I want to use, and they will custom bore the risk pin for me at a reasonable up charge. I figure that once you make up your mind on the type of piston you want, that you would just give them your spec's . I did not mean to just call anybody and order pistons, I took it for granted that you would research the type of piston you want. They may not stock that piston in your spec, but could make it for you.

Natural1

all around duguder
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You're using a stock length rod because that's what you use with a big bore, if you're running a stock stroke. A .866 wrist pin is the common size, so you shouldn't be boring anything. There are plenty of manufacturers that offer high compression 3v pistons, in a 3.700" bore. Your chamber volume isn't special, it's somewhere between 50.5cc and 53cc.

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
(hint: a ______ is a girl's best friend).

I hear ya.. My first set (which were fucked up) were Diamonds. The second set came from somewhere else.

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
Does Diamond make custom pistons? They don't have any 3.700 bore 3v pistons only the stock bore size ones. Manley has the right bore sizes for the 3v but they have CRs that are 9.6 at the most. But I think I would only loose something around 8hp by going from a 10.5:1 CR down to 9.6:1.

I am looking for a 3.700 Bore with a 3.750 stroke, with a 3.850 connecting rod and I haven't been able to find one. Just one question, on Eagles site they have an assembly with the 3.750 stroke but it has 3.950 rods but on the Manley site they list the stroker rods as 9.850, is there a big difference between the two?

Who else makes pistons?
I have looked at Diamond, Manley, CP, JE, Probe, and SRP, are there any others?

Thank you for the help

BoostedGT480

Slow 3v
Reaction score
Whats wrong with Diamond? Maybe I missed something but I havent heard many complaints from them...Thats why Im running in my big bore

Natural1

all around duguder
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Does Diamond make custom pistons? They don't have any 3.700 bore 3v pistons only the stock bore size ones. Manley has the right bore sizes for the 3v but they have CRs that are 9.6 at the most. But I think I would only loose something around 8hp by going from a 10.5:1 CR down to 9.6:1.

I am looking for a 3.700 Bore with a 3.750 stroke, with a 3.850 connecting rod and I haven't been able to find one. Just one question, on Eagles site they have an assembly with the 3.750 stroke but it has 3.950 rods but on the Manley site they list the stroker rods as 9.850, is there a big difference between the two?

Who else makes pistons?
I have looked at Diamond, Manley, CP, JE, Probe, and SRP, are there any others?

Thank you for the help

Your rods are 5.850 for a stroker and 5.933 for a stock stroke.. Also, almost every manufacturer makes a big bore stroker piston for the modular. The only odd ball is the 3.700" with a 3.800" stroke and even a couple make those. The problem is, one of the manufacturers believes their pistons are worth more than their weight in gold. The rod listing at that length is an obvious typo. You can get the pistons in any compression ratio and in any bore/stroke from Manley and that includes FI pistons with a lower top ring and extra thick crown, coatings (Teflon/ceramic or hard anodizing) are extra. The pistons I priced today were $899 fully coated with .866" 9310 wrist pins a 2-3 week delivery. These are a replacement for a $1600 set of custom Diamond forgings.

Last edited:

BoostedGT480

Slow 3v
Reaction score
Your rods are 5.850 for a stroker and 5.933 for a stock stroke.. Also, almost every manufacturer makes a big bore stroker piston for the modular. The only odd ball is the 3.700" with a 3.800" stroke and even a couple make those. The problem is, one of the manufacturers believes their pistons are worth more than their weight in gold. The rod listing at that length is an obvious typo. You can get the pistons in any compression ratio and in any bore/stroke from Manley and that includes FI pistons with a lower top ring and extra thick crown, coatings (Teflon/ceramic or hard anodizing) are extra. The pistons I priced today were $899 fully coated with .866" 9310 wrist pins a 2-3 week delivery. These are a replacement for a $1600 set of custom Diamond forgings.

I didn't pay 1600 for my diamonds. Where are you getting those prices? I think mine were around 800-900. 1600 sounds more along the lines of billet oliver I beam rods

Natural1

all around duguder
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Off of receipts.. Where else? No, the Oliver rods that are in the engine were $1300.. The pistons have a extra thick crown as spec'd by L&M but were only available at the time (so we were mistakenly told) in a 3.750" stroke and were $1200 from L&M (that price is on their website if you'd like to see it yourself). So making them in a 3.800" stroke was extra, plus the coating and extra bullshit. That's why they are not being purchased again and why they were $1600.. Ridiculous.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
You can bore out the Alu 4.6 block, but then you need to install iron sleeves. That would cost about as much as the FRPP iron big bore block

I'm thinking on doing a big bore build as well, and yes, the iron BB block is about the same price as having my aluminum block machined out. So, I'm going with machining/sleeving my aluminum block. Since it's the same price, I'll take the weight savings all day long.

I didn't pay 1600 for my diamonds. Where are you getting those prices? I think mine were around 800-900. 1600 sounds more along the lines of billet oliver I beam rods

I paid $899 total for my custom Diamonds (3.80 stroke), with ductile rings, and crown and skirt coatings. It's nowhere near the $1500 some shops are quoting for the same thing. Gotta shop around.

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
I'm thinking on doing a big bore build as well, and yes, the iron BB block is about the same price as having my aluminum block machined out. So, I'm going with machining/sleeving my aluminum block. Since it's the same price, I'll take the weight savings all day long.

I paid $899 total for my custom Diamonds (3.80 stroke), with ductile rings, and crown and skirt coatings. It's nowhere near the $1500 some shops are quoting for the same thing. Gotta shop around.

Any idea who you're going to use to machine the block? Make sure they're very good. I had a resleeved Teksid block that had 4 cracks between two cylinders. Whoever installed the sleeves didn't do it correctly. I bought the shortblock used. In the end I ended up with the iron Boss block and haven't had any issues.

Last edited:
Back