Cooling Fan High Speed Relay BEC melted

Makdaddy

I am Dysfunctional
Reaction score
With the AC is the fan governed to high by the PCM?
I was under the impression it would be auto set to high with AC on

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
pretty sure A/C is low speed or maybe both, but i know when my fuse was blown to my high speed relay, the a/c would still still turn on my fan.

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
I have external relays with a fuse for both high and another fuse for low. The stock set up uses 1 fuse for both high and low. If your low speed works but your high speed does not, then I would say you have a melted connection in the BEC under the hood.

Makdaddy

I am Dysfunctional
Reaction score
I have external relays with a fuse for both high and another fuse for low. The stock set up uses 1 fuse for both high and low. If your low speed works but your high speed does not, then I would say you have a melted connection in the BEC under the hood.

cool I'll check that. I didn't know the fan would rn with the relay burnt

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
cool I'll check that. I didn't know the fan would rn with the relay burnt

There is a relay for high and a relay for low. So it's possible for the low speed to still work while the high speed connection my fail or be intermittent at times depending on the condition of that connection in the BEC.

The 2 speeds are separate, so if the high speed relay burns up and the car kicks on the high speed, you will get no fan at all.

Makdaddy

I am Dysfunctional
Reaction score
There is a relay for high and a relay for low. So it's possible for the low speed to still work while the high speed connection my fail or be intermittent at times depending on the condition of that connection in the BEC.

The 2 speeds are separate, so if the high speed relay burns up and the car kicks on the high speed, you will get no fan at all.

That almost sounds too goof to be true
But I only had issues when I turned on the AC
I am sure i had the car parked and the AC on and the fans came on, but maybe just on low.
If i was in town and turned the ac off the temps would come back down
Its worth looking into
Thanks for pointing it out

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
when its in low speed mode, the low speed wire is the only wire sending voltage. which is knocked down to 9 volts according to my volt meter at the resistor that attaches to the fan (where it plugs into the fan connections). when it goes into high speed mode, the low speed wire turns off and just the high speed sends power, now @ 12+ volts.

when my high speed fuse was blown (external something i added), my low speed still worked and my fans still would come on with the A/C, so i assume the A/C just turns the fans onto low speed, but it may kick it up to high speed if it gets too hot, that i did not test.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Anyone know why the low speed circuit exists? NVH Concerns?

When my system wads up I'll do as others have done and just have the fan run at 12V with an aftermarket relay whenever it's commanded to be on.

james432

forum member
Reaction score
I had that happen too I found the hole thing at a salvage yard for 50 bucks and I was told my stock fan caused this put in a new fan too this was a few years ago..

Makdaddy

I am Dysfunctional
Reaction score
4 post would be easier to wire
Fan instead of fuel pump and 30 amp fuse inline rather then 15
But the principle is the same . one feed out and one control wire

Attachments

• 944_fu11.png
    944_fu11.png
    19 KB · Views: 226

Corpo

I
Reaction score
Meh. The relays work the same. 4 post is just a little more dummy proof. That was just a quick Google search anyway.

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
On the back side of that connector, there is a 12 gauge green/violet wire. You need to cut and connect to a 40 amp relay. Run 10 gauge from your battery with a 40 amp fuse to your relay. Then cut and use the wire that comes from the computer that normally triggers the factory relay to trigger your new relay, I believe it is a smaller green/violet wire.

http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=40&viewfile=Cooling Fan.pdf

Are the trigger wires also in the BEC or are they lumped into the harness somewhere?

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back