Dark_Horse 302 Stroker Turbo Build...Here we go!!

Dark_horse

forum member
Reaction score
Rod bolts snapped?

No they were still holding... still turning on the crank lol....as far as I know the rods just broke... Ive got to get a gear puller for the crank pulley so I can pull the front cover and the heads off...

Dark_horse

forum member
Reaction score
Alright since my block is most likely going to end up an expensive coffee table... This will be my next purchase M-6010-BOSS50... big bore of course

AnotherS197

forum member
Reaction score
Holy carnage. I really like how you're getting shit done and moving onto each next step like it's nothing instead of sitting crying in a corner like I would be.

Maybe that's an exaggeration, but damn I'm excited watching this thread.

Dark_horse

forum member
Reaction score
Holy carnage. I really like how you're getting shit done and moving onto each next step like it's nothing instead of sitting crying in a corner like I would be.

Maybe that's an exaggeration, but damn I'm excited watching this thread.

I am one of those people that has been put through the ringer as far as life lessons are considered. I have learned to just accept what it is and move on... cant change things that happen and no need getting down in the dumps over it....

Just between me and the s197 world I may have cried a little on the inside...

The biggest heartache I have to deal with is all my friends and room mates are LS guys and I keep dealing with all the shit they are giving me... have you ever heard of the red short bed chevy called "Red Dragon" or the 5th gen Camaro called "stangkiller" both BIG turbo lsx cars...those guys are the friends I'm referring to. I am the sore thumb

ethic1

forum member
Reaction score
Haters gonna hate LOL....Everyone and their children have an LS1....Nice to see something different..

Dark_horse

forum member
Reaction score
Well theres your problem lol
20130323_010254_zpsba428220.jpg

20130323_001844_zps46514910.jpg

Side note is this head worthless? There are some of what i consider deep scratches where the cylinder let go and hit the bottom of the head. None of the valves or valve seats look scarred up. So is this head shot?

jsimmonstx

forum member
Reaction score
Well theres your problem lol

Side note is this head worthless? There are some of what i consider deep scratches where the cylinder let go and hit the bottom of the head. None of the valves or valve seats look scarred up. So is this head shot?

There's no way to tell for sure until it's been disassembled and magnafluxed. I would consider (or at least be prepared to) replacing the valves, seats and guides on that cylinder. I would also verify that the cams on that side are okay. If you're extra paranoid, I'd have both heads/all four cams checked out.

I would also carefully inspect the oil pump gears.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
There's no way to tell for sure until it's been disassembled and magnafluxed. I would consider (or at least be prepared to) replacing the valves, seats and guides on that cylinder. I would also verify that the cams on that side are okay. If you're extra paranoid, I'd have both heads/all four cams checked out.

I would also carefully inspect the oil pump gears.

Magnuflux requires a ferrous metal. Can't be done with aluminum. Dye penetrent and eddy current are used to detect cracks and anomolies in aluminum.

OP: It doesn't look that bad from here. Unless there is something I can't see it looks like blending the damaged areas so there are no sharp edges would be sufficient.

It could also be seen as a sign to get new ported heads.

Dark_horse

forum member
Reaction score
Just an update..Ordered the Ford Racing Modular Boss 5.0 block today from american muscle...I'm getting anxious!!

Dark_horse

forum member
Reaction score
20130401_083658_zpsa6fa0d86.jpg

Delivery guy was like " holy shit man you buildin one of them ther cobra jets?" I just laughed and said yes

YellowRoush

forum member
Reaction score
Is that intercooler you are running the one that comes with the standard on3 kit? 2.5'' iirc

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
20130401_083658_zpsa6fa0d86.jpg

Delivery guy was like " holy shit man you buildin one of them ther cobra jets?" I just laughed and said yes

I'm curious about something and maybe you can report back. I've read that the boss block needs to be decked and that the cylinders aren't brought up to size. When you open it can you take a look at those things and let us know what the truth is?

Thanks,
Bruce

Dark_horse

forum member
Reaction score
I'm curious about something and maybe you can report back. I've read that the boss block needs to be decked and that the cylinders aren't brought up to size. When you open it can you take a look at those things and let us know what the truth is?

Thanks,
Bruce

Bruce this is quoting directly off American Muscles website... I still have not opened it.

"Technical Note. This is a bare block, no internals are included. This block does not have a finished milled head deck or cylinder bores. Your engine builder will need to mill the deck and finish bore, then hone each bore specifically for the combination being installed."

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back