Do I leave sct handheld with trade in?

cmg427

forum member
Reaction score
Hi guys, sorry I know this is not tech but I didn't know who else to ask. I am trading in my Roush Mustang for a CTS-V and of course want to sell off most everything I can before trading it in but wanted to make sure I won't be screwing the new owner if I take the handheld, so should I leave it. Not sure how it will really effect them if at all. Thanks in advance

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If the car has a tune, would be nice to leave in glove box.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You know it's not tech.... But post there anyway? :thud:

If u can return to stock tune, then keep,it, if not I'd say let it go with car.

cmg427

forum member
Reaction score
You know it's not tech.... But post there anyway? :thud:

If u can return to stock tune, then keep,it, if not I'd say let it go with car.

Sorry didnt see the chit chat forum was looking for general discussion. Yes there is still stuff on the car that it will need a tune so I will leave it. Not trying to screw the future owner for a couple hundred bucks. Thanks guys

Johnf78

forum member
Reaction score
Sorry didnt see the chit chat forum was looking for general discussion. Yes there is still stuff on the car that it will need a tune so I will leave it. Not trying to screw the future owner for a couple hundred bucks. Thanks guys

They only sell for around $50 if they are married anyway. Better off just leaving it for the next guy.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
The handheld definitely goes with the tune, as the tune cannot be loaded or changed without it. As Dave said you can keep it if you can return the car to the stock tune. But if you leave a custom tune on the car then the new owner will be fucked without the handheld device to reload or modify that tune.

crownaviation

http://www.tudyno.com/
Reaction score
trade in? Not sure how a dealership would handle that. My thoughts are they would not even give or mention it to he buyer. To some that may appear too radical or complicated and may move on to another car. Just thinking out loud.

How much have you done to the car? Will it run safely with the stock tune? If so return it to stock and sell it.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
I would think a dealer would toss it when they clean out the car.
After all, why would they risk a sell to someone ignorant on the matter, and would potentially walk away from a "oh, this car is modified" statement.

I you can, flash it back to stock. Play nice.

rdsx18

forum member
Reaction score
Ya I think they just toss it too. My buddy was looking at a intake/tune/exhaust gt at a dealer and they didn't have the tuner, I talked to the previous owner who seemed like an honest guy and he didn't have it either but he did say he left the tune on it, so I think the dealer got rid of it.

Sent from my Icon using Tapatalk

Johnf78

forum member
Reaction score
Hide it under the spare tire.... A little buried treasure for the new owner to find. Lol

Fullboogie

King of the Ski - OG Jr.
Reaction score
Definitely goes with the car. I passed on three GT500's because they were obviously modded, but the handheld was not in the car. No thanks.

Captainstr8edge

Hardcore Superhero
Reaction score
I would ask the dealership if they would toss it. Sure it would be nice for the next owner to get it but its not a complete loss if they don't. As long as you leave the tune that it needs intact then if they need another tune they can use the current tune as their "stock"tune. They will not be stuck and unable to do anything.

Renesis07

forum member
Reaction score
TELL THE DEALERSHIP THEY NEED THE TUNER FOR THE CAR TO FUNCTION CORRECTLY.

Put that in bold because if you don't say that they won't take it seriously and/or a porter will just nab it from the car. My suggestion is to give it directly to the used car manager and/or put it straight in the glovebox or spare tire area. At our store, our used car managers keeps tuner(s) in his drawer at the sales tower. We take cars (and Jeeps) in all the time with tuners, it's more common then you guys think. My suggestion is to leave it with the car since it doesn't have much value and you don't have much use for it with the next car.

mavisky

forum member
Reaction score
I left my SCT Livewire in my Excursion when I sold it. In hindsight I probably should have just returned it to stock and kept it, but at the time the only other Ford I owned was my 95 GT that had an SCT chip in it already.

Scott_0

forum member
Reaction score
if the mods aren't too extreme, return it to stock keep the tuner for yourself

sent from HTC M8 using tapatalk

Back