DOB Install

crownaviation

http://www.tudyno.com/
Reaction score
I'm not a huge fan on the TVS, though it's a HUGE step up from the factory eaton.

Roots will always be inferior to twin screw in my book.

I am a huge fan of the TVS.. great blower for street car and my weapon of choice... only if it could make just a little more power.

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
Isn't the tvs still a roots type?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

crownaviation

http://www.tudyno.com/
Reaction score
Get the new MP Gen2 TVS! That thing has a huge inlet!

Basically those (VMP) are old TVS blower cases that they modify and charge out the ass for (well, price is fair for the work and r&d but still not cheap). Problem is they (VMP) do not run much better than the 2013 tvs. Cost of HP per Dollar is pretty steep..

VMP claim to fame with that blower is they machine the snout etc.. to accept an even smaller pulley. Well... that means shit if you use a overdrive crank pulley instead. The rotors will max out eventually no matter how small the blower pulley. If you can achieve that with speed with a crank pulley, I prefer the benefits of that over a smaller blower pulley.

On the DOB setup you will only get a 2.4" pulley on it either way so I would save a TON of money and buy a 2013 TVS imo.

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
I am a huge fan of the TVS.. great blower for street car and my weapon of choice... only if it could make just a little more power.

Oh I absolutely agree it's fantastic for a street car. No one needs 600+ whp for the street.

It'll just never make as much power as the same size twin screw. It's simply inferior by design.

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
The 2013 GT500 2.3L TVS's are making as much if not a touch more power than a Whipple 2.3L.

Spinning at the same speed, on the same motor? As you know better than anyone, just about anything CAN be done. Whether it's the norm or feasible for everyone else is a different story.

Twin screws are actual air compressors while roots are merely air pumps. That makes the twin screws waaaaay more efficient at building boost and not producing heat. But you already know that.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
It is but it's a modified design that compares quite closely with a twin screw. In fact because of the rear inlet a 2.3 tvs will flow more air at higher psi than a 2.3 whipple. The 2.3 whipple rear inlet size is somewhat reduced so that it would fit on the s197. This limits the whipple to around 16-17psi. I noticed diminishing returns over 16psi with it.

For this discussion the only options are the M122 or 2.3 TVS so I'm not sure why twin screw has been brought into the discussion other than for arguments sake.

So far I've done well with high compression and lower boost. It's all about cylinder pressure and there are a few ways to bump it up.

I'm pretty well satisfied with the dob kit. It's met my expectations and even exceeded them in some respects. I would like lower iats but what I do have hasn't affected performance so it's more of an academic discussion more than an actual problem.

Isn't the tvs still a roots type?

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
The TVS is a roots, yes.

It has a different rotor design to make it more efficient.

The Whipples are an R-Spec item though, so you're correct in saying they're not really an option for you Bruce. I was merely pointing out that if you're really set on upgrading, I would look into a twin screw.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Dub, please stop derailing and/or monopolizing the conversation. If you want to argue about blower types then go start your own thread.

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
Dub, please stop derailing and/or monopolizing the conversation. If you want to argue about blower types then go start your own thread.

Lol you need to pull the stick out of your ass and relax bub. But I'm not going to respond to any one irrelevant comments from you.

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Knowing Bruce it will go back to NA and start a new motor build of some kind. Lol

Stock stroke, cobra crank, boss block, and lightweight rods and pistons. More head flow and custom cams for a horsepower peak at 7100 rpms.

awesome autocorrect malfunctions brought to you by tapatalk

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Have you been looking in my parts storage area? Lol. I do have two sets of Yates FR500 race motor takeout pistons that are the correct bore for the boss block. They are lightened too.

Stock stroke, cobra crank, boss block, and lightweight rods and pistons. More head flow and custom cams for a horsepower peak at 7100 rpms.

awesome autocorrect malfunctions brought to you by tapatalk

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Update:

I had been seeing iats of 40 or so degrees over ambient during normal cruise conditions. I realized that the coolant ratio might be a little rich. Took about a quart and a half of coolant out and replaced with water wetter and distilled water.

The initial results are that cruising iats are now about 25 over ambient. I was also doing pulls so that figure might be a little off. During wot pulls the max was 40 over ambient which was 102 with an ambient of 62.

Testing was cut short when the belt blew at 7200 rpm. I had left a power steering reservoir bracket in the engine bay. It was being used to see if there would be room to relocate the ps tank to the stock 2010 position. Something came up yesterday afternoon and I totally forgot about it.

The belt shredded at the top of my second pull. It was loud enough that I was looking for smoke from a blown motor. Then the charging system light went off, coolant temps rose, and the steering was noticeably more difficult.

Luckily I had two spare belts in the trunk and a half inch drive torque wrench. Ever since the car has been modified I carry spare parts that might fail and would be hard to get ahold of. I also carry tools that will handle most minor repairs.

The maf transfer table is about as good as it's going to get. Now that I'm certain it's right on at wot the base fuel table for higher tp and rpm has been leaned to .79 which is still a little fat at 11.5-11.6.

Now the big decision is do I switch from the 3" pulley that's giving me 7psi or do I go to the 2.6" pulley that's never been used? How well would 10psi and 12:1 go together with 92 octane fuel? I already know that running 7psi with e85 is just a hair more power than I want for street use. Maybe it's time to go back to e85 and tweak that tune. Maybe I should leave it alone and be happy with what I have, lol. It's a real nice street car with good manners. Currently giving me over 16mpg in mixed urban driving which isn't too bad considering the motor is almost the size of a GT500 motor and it has 4.10 gears.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back