Downloaded tune with virus?

Aerofinz

Reaction score
This is literally one of those "asking for a friend" scenarios.

Their Mustang is a stock 4.6L with a Roush Supercharger and standard Roush tune. It recently went into limp mode and a very well respected Mustang shop they took it to is starting to think a virus has corrupted the ECU.
Now the solution is to try a new ECU as the typical fix for a corrupted file/tune isn't correcting the issue.

Thoughts or experiences?

The shop has done literally thousands of custom Mustang tunes over the years and they are acknowledging this is a new one to them.

Last edited:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I think it's unlikely a virus corrupted the ECU, the PCM/ECU failing is more logical.

do you know what codes it threw?

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Highly doubt it is a virus. Viruses are written to target specific flaws in an OS and exploit it. What could possibly be of interest for anyone to write one to corrupt a tune?
How long was it running fine with the tune?

More likely an issue that would cause limp mode and not a virus. The most common reason fly by wire vehicles go into limp mode is an issue with the throttle body. Again this is pure speculation as you do not have the actual codes from the car.

These PCMs can be reflashed if corrupted, replacement is not needed unless there are failed internal components in the PCM.

GlassTop09

Reaction score
He said it was "2 injector codes" and went into limp mode.
From what I understand of the PCM's internal components\design, it appears that the PCM in question has a couple of injector PWM drivers failing (the diodes that control\operate the PWM circuitry that controls the neg side in PCM that physically operates the injectors), the DTC codes should correspond to the particular cyl injector circuit failure(s) which should ID the particular drivers once all other component tests rule out the injectors & wiring outside of the PCM as the culprit....once this happens this PCM issue cannot be fixed thru software as this is a hardware issue so either the PCM needs to be sent in for repair (mainboard replacement.....unless you have an electrical engineering background in electronics & the necessary equipment to TS\replace the failed parts on the board then test to verify repair) or a replacement PCM then reprogram\reflash\reload.

About the only issue that can cause these internal PCM PWM injector drivers to fail that I can think of offhand is excess current draw as this circuit typically uses a 15A mini fuse (Fuse #43 in BEC) to protect from this happening but some folks who install fuel boosters\Boost-a-Pumps tend to up this #43 fuse to 20A-30A which can allow too high a current to be sent thru the injectors into the PCM PWM injector driver circuitry on the neg side as this circuit feeds 12v+ power both thru the fuel injectors to the PCM injector drivers & the FPDM for the fuel pump 12v+ power thru the inertia switch......instead of running a separate fused 12v+ power wire setup from battery (the infamous fuel pump power wire mod) to feed the fuel booster\Boost-a-Pump\FPDM fuel pump control, controlled thru a relay from this #43 fused circuit so the 15A fuse can be retained thus protect the injector drivers in the PCM from potential over current draw. This can occur in tandem w\ PCM calling for high current draw thru injectors if the injectors are operating at a fairly high PWM pulse signal DC range over a prolonged period of time........which can happen even in stock form w\o a Boost-a-Pump installed but is very, very rare & should blow the #43 15A fuse before any current over draw takes place at the PCM injector drivers (why Ford set this up w\ this 15A fuse.....the FPDM provides over current protection for the fuel pump).......unless something occurred to allow excess current to flow into PCM PWM injector circuitry causing a driver burnout.

The only reason why I brought this up is that you posted that your friend's car is a 4.6L equipped w\ a Roush SC so the fuel supply has to be increased from stock & the most common method used on these cars is a Boost-a-Pump wired into this #43 fused circuit between the inertia switch & FPDM..........sets off a clue in my mind knowing nothing physically about your friend's car & it's setup.

Hope this helps.........

PS--I said fuse #43 for fuel pump\injector circuit........that's wrong, should've said fuse #41 instead. My bad.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back