Engine Build - Drift Turbo Build

krang00

forum member
Reaction score
This year we made 410 rwhp safely with a Garrett GT4094R turbo but for next season we're looking to up the power. Our goal is to make around 600 rwhp on E85.

Here's what I've got planned so far on this 2006 GT 3V build. Let me know what you think and if there's anything else I should definitely do while things are apart:

• Manley rods
  • Cobra crank
  • ID1000 injectors and other various fuel upgrades from S&P
  • CP Pistons (probably 10cc dish, haven't purchased yet)
  • Miezere Electric Water Pump
  • ARP Main Studs
  • Ford Racing Camshaft Drive Kit
  • ARP Head Stud kit
  • ARP Main Cap Side Bolt Kit
  • TSS Billet Oil Pump Gears
  • Ford Racing High Volume Oil Pump
  • TR6060 with aluminum driveshaft and Barton shifter
  • HPX MAF
  • TiAL BOV and wastegate

I'm about to purchase the Livernois crankshaft scraper and oil drainback kits too. Is there a better oil pan I can/should run? I looked at the GT500 with windage tray but it doesn't look like it's available anymore.

Anything else I'm missing? Anything I should have done to the block/heads while they are off?

Someone said something about valve springs with a turbo probably needing upgrading but I can't find the comments about that.

The goal is to make a safe 600 rwhp for 1-2 years before rebuilding it again (probably) to make north of 800.

krang00

forum member
Reaction score
Add valve springs. Lose the crank.

Oh yeah, put a good balancer on it.

Any recommendation on valve springs? I know Comp Cams has a set of "beehive" units with steel retainers I can get for a good price.

Ditto on balancers - any recommendations?

Any reason why? Another solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Right now my valve covers vent to atmosphere and I've noticed the passenger's side typically is coated with oil (not a ton) after a day at the races. I was hoping this would help that situation, especially when we turn up the boost. Only running 7lbs right now.

Last edited by a moderator:

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Any recommendation on valve springs? I know Comp Cams has a set of "beehive" units with steel retainers I can get for a good price.

Right now my valve covers vent to atmosphere and I've noticed the passenger's side typically is coated with oil (not a ton) after a day at the races. I was hoping this would help that situation, especially when we turn up the boost. Only running 7lbs right now.

That's what happens when the pcv is disconnected. The motor is designed to pull air in from the passenger side and vent it through the driver side with an assist from the intake vacuum. Disconnecting the system results in the passenger side pushing out air. You probably already know this but I'll repeat it anyway, the driver side valve cover has a pcv valve in it. Going to breathers without taking it out will only let the motor take air in from the passenger side.

I've been running Comp 26113 springs for over 5 years. I've used them with a variety of cams and boost setups. Currently using them with .535" lift cams. They have always performed just fine and the phasers will still work as commanded with the 26113 springs. I would use them again if I needed valve springs.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score

PAC springs FTW. I don't have the number on hand, I'll try and look it up later.

ATI Superdamper. best in the business.

If you're not going to have a functioning PCV system (which I don't suggest on a forced induction drift car at high RPM all the time) run a hose from each valve cover to a breather tank. You can look at all the Ford mustang race cars as an example. I can help you with getting those hoses set up at the valve covers if you want it.

Best idea is a vacuum pump, but that is big bucks, pretty custom and rare.

I'm with Bruce on the drainback stuff. A solution for a problem that isn't there.

krang00

forum member
Reaction score
Right now both valve covers are going direct to breathers. Can I just pull the PCV out of the driver's side to make it like the passenger one?

Thanks for the suggestions on springs and dampener! When you say lose the crank do you mean use the stock one or something different altogether? That was my budget option :)

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Right now both valve covers are going direct to breathers. Can I just pull the PCV out of the driver's side to make it like the passenger one?
Yes

Thanks for the suggestions on springs and dampener! When you say lose the crank do you mean use the stock one or something different altogether? That was my budget option :)
Use the stock crank.

Wild White Pony

forum member
Reaction score
Scrap the FRPP high volume oil pump and get the 13-14 GT 500 pump to put those TSS gears in, it has the steel backplate. My FRPP high volume that came with my Aluminator had the aluminum backplate.

07 Boss

Reaction score

Deifinitely remove the PVC valve from the cam cover. This will double the breathing capacity and diminish any oil drippage. If you want to g a step farther you can replace the oil filter cap with a breather too. I run this 3 breather set up and get zero oil drippage. I don't run as hard and as long as you do so results may vary.

Last edited:

krang00

forum member
Reaction score
What's the thought with the crank? I was under the impression a 2006 like mine didn't have a forged crank which is why I picked up the kellog/cobra one? If I don't need it, all the better, just checking myself.

Any chance you have a part number on that 13-14 GT 500 pump?

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
What's the thought with the crank? I was under the impression a 2006 like mine didn't have a forged crank which is why I picked up the kellog/cobra one? If I don't need it, all the better, just checking myself.

Any chance you have a part number on that 13-14 GT 500 pump?

The stock crank is not forged. But it is proven at over 700hp.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
I've been running Comp 26113 springs for over 5 years. I've used them with a variety of cams and boost setups. Currently using them with .535" lift cams. They have always performed just fine and the phasers will still work as commanded with the 26113 springs. I would use them again if I needed valve springs.

No phaser limiters? Interesting. I think you were running 127550's though, which used them, so you probably do have them in place. OTOH, 127550's call for the heavier springs.

Last edited:

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
the 05-10 gt crank has been known to do fine upwards of 700hp +/-

If your near that or under you should be fine. Especially with e85 removing most risk of detonation beating your bearings to shit and the like.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
umm...give it to me so I can use it? :D

I mean if you already have it and dont wanna re-sell you can install it incase you wanna push more power, but if your maxing at 600 with e85 and all that then its probably overkill

krang00

forum member
Reaction score
As tempting as it is to give it to you for free, I think I'll put it in the car :) I'm going to run around 600 or so for the next season but ultimately will probably turning things up to around 800hp in the next 2-3 years.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
No phaser limiters? Interesting. I think you were running 127550's though, which used them, so you probably do have them in place. OTOH, 127550's call for the heavier springs.

I'm locked out. I have run 26113 with 127300, and Hot Rods without phaser limiters. I've run 127400 with 20 degree limiters, both Livernois and Comp branded. I did a whole lot of logging and the cams always responded as commanded.

A set of 550 are going to need limiters or lockouts. If it was me I'd lock them out with the icl at 108. My cams are supposed to be too much for the 26113 springs according to comp. Many of us have run 26113 springs with higher lift cams and done fine. At one time Comp only had the 26113 springs and they recommended to run them with everything.

No matter what you do it's a risk when it comes to modifying an engine. I can only tell you what I've done and how it worked out. Maybe it will work for you, maybe it won't.

Edit: I'm currently running a cam with similar profiles to a 127500 with a 108 icl and 113 lsa. If the op is locking the phasers and going with 550 cams I'd probably go with a stiffer spring.

Last edited:

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah, thanks for all the info, it's a shame we can't compile it somehow. Comp said even if I went with NSR cams I should replace my 80k mile OEM springs, and ford racing concurred if I were to run hot rods. I'll be watching the classifieds to see if I can snipe a set of something or others... haha.

Wild White Pony

forum member
Reaction score

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back