EPAS testing on 07GT

VistaBlueS197

forum member
Reaction score
Hey Lito, I’m thinking of doing this using a used 2014 rack. You had mention earlier in the thread that u had issues with non FR units, what where those issues if you don’t mind sharing please.

lito

forum member
Reaction score
Well, we had a 2012 one, bought new from Ford, no idea on what calibration is in it and it wobbled at speed as some others have reported back then, we then went with the FR as that seemed to work for the 11+ cars that had the issue and we have installed three of those without a single issue.

richh789

Reaction score
looking to do this swap myself. I recently picked up a coyote swapped 06 that has a write-up on here. Car came with the BMR tubular K frame, and a epas rack (not installed). Going to order the wiring harness which seems pretty straightforward except for the can bus wires.

I'm trying to wrap my head around hooking it to the control pack that runs the motor. How does it know how fast you're going at that point?

Or does the fact that those wires are hooked into the OBD2 port make it communicate speed to the rack. Also the speedometer works in the car but it's significantly off, would this affect the resistance for the rack?

Hoping that a dyno tuning will fix the speedo issue.

39800b17a53a679779af64bc8693ecab.jpg
d6e5fd9ce1a30f0309553ac0fb4d7c30.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

zquez

Death Dealer
Reaction score
I'm using a 2014 rack and I haven't had any nibbling issues yet. If I could drive a Ford Racing rack back to back I would probably think it's default is the soft setting. How to change settings is something I'd like to figure out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

richh789

Reaction score
I'm using a 2014 rack and I haven't had any nibbling issues yet. If I could drive a Ford Racing rack back to back I would probably think it's default is the soft setting. How to change settings is something I'd like to figure out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do you have your canbus wires hooked up or just the ground, power and Trigger wire?

richh789

Reaction score
Need CAN wires for it to read speedo and work properly.
Lito,The guy who did the motor swap was telling me you were very knowledgeable on this subject..... He got alot of info from you.

My question is, if the engine has a frpp control module, where to you hook up the can wires? Same place as the two wires that communicate with dash? Sorry I'm trying to get it figured out before I pull the k frame. Also my speedometer is reading inaccurate, will this effect the amount of resistance (supposed to increase with speed)

lito

forum member
Reaction score
Lito,The guy who did the motor swap was telling me you were very knowledgeable on this subject..... He got alot of info from you.

My question is, if the engine has a frpp control module, where to you hook up the can wires? Same place as the two wires that communicate with dash? Sorry I'm trying to get it figured out before I pull the k frame. Also my speedometer is reading inaccurate, will this effect the amount of resistance (supposed to increase with speed)

Yes, those.

Your tune need the OSS holes corrected, for the speedo to read correctly.

richh789

Reaction score
Yes, those.

Your tune need the OSS holes corrected, for the speedo to read correctly.
Is that something that someone who does dyno tuning could do? It has Lund Tunes in it now but wanted to bring it to get live dyno tuning done to make sure it's 100%

lito

forum member
Reaction score
That is something anyone that considers itself a tuner and knows the car and swap process should do. If you have that issue with a Lund tune just tell them the swap you did and that you are running what transmission with it and need your OSS holes adjusted.

lito

forum member
Reaction score
And BTW, depends on who this dyno tuner is, most of the times an experienced platform specific tuner like Lund, KenB, VMP (or me, depending on platform) will know better. A dyno doesn't make a tuner/tune better just because of it.

richh789

Reaction score
How would you determine which can wire goes to which if there's two of them? That entire system blows my mind.

When the time comes I might pick your brain for the setting up of the ac compressor. Need to have someone fabricate hoses then I'm going to see if I can figure out how to make it fire and work the pressure switches correctly.

richh789

Reaction score
Just connect CAN HI + with + and - with -, no complications there.
Thanks, I honestly didn't even dig into it yet. New to me and wanted to make sure I had all my bases covered before pulling it apart and scratching my head.

zquez

Death Dealer
Reaction score
Go on the online Ford Service Manual and into the wiring diagrams. They will tell you all you need to know about where to tap into.

VistaBlueS197

forum member
Reaction score
I’m kinda slow when it comes to wiring. Where exactly does the harness connect to the canbus? I’ve looked at the wiring diagram but can’t figure it out. Any help/pics/diagram would be much appreciated.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
I will be starting this shortly, I am hoping to access CAN from within the SJB in the pass. side inner footwell. Can Hi and low afaik is just a serial comm system, therefore you are only listening on the two leads at any point you can access them. If the headlights, for instance, were HID and ran on CAN, that signal would be going there, already nearby the steering rack.

I am going to take my new harness for the rack and stretch it out radially and see about how far it reaches. That must be where it taps in in the new cars! It's like working with scooby doo.

zquez

Death Dealer
Reaction score
I will be starting this shortly, I am hoping to access CAN from within the SJB in the pass. side inner footwell. Can Hi and low afaik is just a serial comm system, therefore you are only listening on the two leads at any point you can access them. If the headlights, for instance, were HID and ran on CAN, that signal would be going there, already nearby the steering rack.

I am going to take my new harness for the rack and stretch it out radially and see about how far it reaches. That must be where it taps in in the new cars! It's like working with scooby doo.
I tapped into the CAN wires at the fuse box in the engine bay. That may be an easier spot than running stuff from the SJB.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info - will look into that.

I wonder if these harness components/plugs are available without the entire WC-96240 harness. It would have been very easy for me to make it up - the harness was about 250 for me to buy. Lots of spare stuff in there, I guess.

yvYmYmd.jpg

ifBAo7b.jpg

Back